Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 PM

156 posts, read 370,122 times

Advertisements

NYC Budget Axe To Carve Out $1 Billion

Slew Of New Taxes On Tap, Higher Fees For Services, Plastic Bag Charge; City Workforce To Lose 23,000 Jobs

After sharpening his red pencils and spending long nights squeezing the treasury for every penny, Mayor Michael Bloomberg is set to tell New Yorkers on Friday that the budget for the next year will be excruciatingly painful.

Jobs will be axed, programs slashed and lots of things will cost more.

Wall Street and the spiraling out of control economy have dealt New York City a bad hand. The mayor has no trumps to play as he lays out a spending plan whose gap has grown nearly 400 percent in three months.

Shrinking tax revenues have turned the $1.3 billion November budget hole into a now-$4 billion chasm. The only way to fix it, sources tell CBS 2 HD, is with:

* $1 billion in program cuts, affecting virtually every city agency.

* New taxes and fees, including more taxes on clothing, a fee for plastic shopping bags in grocery stores and higher fees for lots of other city services.

* The capital budget will be slashed.

* City employees will be asked to pay part of their healthcare costs.

* There will be a reduction of 23,000 jobs through layoffs and attrition. That's more than 7 percent of the city's employees.

Sources say expect fewer cops, firefighters and sanitation workers.

Schools Chancellor Joel Klein has already said he could be forced to eliminate 15,000 education jobs, one third by attrition. The federal stimulus package could save some of the teaching jobs.

"New York will get about $1.8 billion in education funding and that may not eliminate the need for cuts but it should make it much less severe," Sen. Charles Schumer said.

Deputy Mayor Edward Skyler said: "The mayor is cutting agency spending as much as he can without compromising our quality of life. But in order to close the deficit without destroying the core services New Yorkers rely on, the mayor will need help from all our partners, from the municipal unions to the leadership in both the state and nation's capital. We all have to do our part to get through these tough times."

The mayor will lay out the rest of the bad news -- yet more service cuts and fee hikes – on Friday.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:30 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
NYC Budget Axe To Carve Out $1 Billion

Slew Of New Taxes On Tap, Higher Fees For Services, Plastic Bag Charge; City Workforce To Lose 23,000 Jobs

After sharpening his red pencils and spending long nights squeezing the treasury for every penny, Mayor Michael Bloomberg is set to tell New Yorkers on Friday that the budget for the next year will be excruciatingly painful.

Jobs will be axed, programs slashed and lots of things will cost more.

Wall Street and the spiraling out of control economy have dealt New York City a bad hand. The mayor has no trumps to play as he lays out a spending plan whose gap has grown nearly 400 percent in three months.

Shrinking tax revenues have turned the $1.3 billion November budget hole into a now-$4 billion chasm. The only way to fix it, sources tell CBS 2 HD, is with:

* $1 billion in program cuts, affecting virtually every city agency.

* New taxes and fees, including more taxes on clothing, a fee for plastic shopping bags in grocery stores and higher fees for lots of other city services.

* The capital budget will be slashed.

* City employees will be asked to pay part of their healthcare costs.

* There will be a reduction of 23,000 jobs through layoffs and attrition. That's more than 7 percent of the city's employees.

Sources say expect fewer cops, firefighters and sanitation workers.

Schools Chancellor Joel Klein has already said he could be forced to eliminate 15,000 education jobs, one third by attrition. The federal stimulus package could save some of the teaching jobs.

"New York will get about $1.8 billion in education funding and that may not eliminate the need for cuts but it should make it much less severe," Sen. Charles Schumer said.

Deputy Mayor Edward Skyler said: "The mayor is cutting agency spending as much as he can without compromising our quality of life. But in order to close the deficit without destroying the core services New Yorkers rely on, the mayor will need help from all our partners, from the municipal unions to the leadership in both the state and nation's capital. We all have to do our part to get through these tough times."

The mayor will lay out the rest of the bad news -- yet more service cuts and fee hikes – on Friday.
This sure dont look good for news guys who just got hired and anyone who wants to get hired. In my district they are expecting layoffs. Lets hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
I dont think your time in NYPD TEA would count toward the 20 years for Sanitation worker. I think you have to be in an Uniformed position like a cop or a fireman to get credit toward the twenty years. I could find out thou.
TEA is a uniformed agency,they even wear badges. I don't know about the carry over time though.

Nomad: That is a tough decision.You do more for society helping disabled adults rather than writing tickets to meet your daily quota.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 AM

335 posts, read 747,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
TEA is a uniformed agency,they even wear badges. I don't know about the carry over time though.

Nomad: That is a tough decision.You do more for society helping disabled adults rather than writing tickets to meet your daily quota.

Well I guess the main ones. The main ones I was told are Sanitation worker, Police officer, Fireman. ( and the promotion titles for each of those).

Old 01-30-2009, 03:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad397 View Post
ok question guys. my list number is ''82*''. I went for the pre-employment and the medical. I'm currently on the list for nypd tea. I went for my phych and oral psych and passed. now they want me to come down for an interviewand final investigation for consideration. the jon sucks and so does the pay. the only benifit to me is the time I would put in would count towards my 20yrs. do you guys think ill be called this summer for dsny ? if so do you think it would be worth it to be in the april class for nypd tea ?
Nomad you really have to think this through. TEA is a miserable horrible job. I should know. I did it for about a year then DSNY called me a year later. TEA is for those who have absolutly nothing else going for them. Dont get me wrong it held me down until I got something better. If you have no other job offers then i would say go for it; but keep in mind its not easy giving out tickets. For every ticket you give there's an arguement with it if your lucky. Traffic Agents get spit on, punched, and get bricks thrown at them. I responded to a call on my radio that someone got hit over the head with their own radio. That happened 1 week before i got pushed and hurt my leg cuz some ass wipe got out and left his car in the bus stop. If there's no driver what did he think i was going to do ask the car to move by itself like the show Knight Rider. He more than deserved that ticket along with the 2 jabs to his chin i gave him. The pay is not worth the headaches. If u do take the TEA job the time u do does not count toward your 20 for DSNY. This is my 1st time responding on this site. I felted so strong about the subject that i had to say something. Nomad think it through.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 AM

316 posts, read 489,842 times
Default A bird in the hand

nomad397 I have been reading this thread since I found it in July, and this is my first post. I say stick with what you have now, and just be patient. TEA is a very tough job, and those agents are not respected. You currently are in a position where you feel good at the end of the day, and that is priceless. My list number is 2XXX, I have my CDL, and I am praying that the bank I work for doesn't get taken over AGAIN!!!! I can't wait to see what the mayor has to say in the next couple of hours.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:45 PM

372 posts, read 830,089 times
Layoffs mite be here for us new guys I hope the senior men lead by example and show the city you can't do more with less..plus I hope our union doesn't give in and make us start chipping in toward benefits id rather keep my salary for ever then pay for beneifts because this year it starts out at 1 percent then 20 years from now it turns to 30 percent...

Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 PM

57 posts, read 158,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
Layoffs mite be here for us new guys I hope the senior men lead by example and show the city you can't do more with less..plus I hope our union doesn't give in and make us start chipping in toward benefits id rather keep my salary for ever then pay for beneifts because this year it starts out at 1 percent then 20 years from now it turns to 30 percent...
I only caught part of the mayors address, I heard him say there would be no more 20 year pensions for any future hires, that it needed to be 25 years & 50 age.

I also heard him mention extending routes, but not specifically mention layoffs. Did he actually say there would definately be people laid off?

Old 01-30-2009, 01:05 PM

335 posts, read 747,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbysgirl23 View Post
I only caught part of the mayors address, I heard him say there would be no more 20 year pensions for any future hires, that it needed to be 25 years & 50 age.

I also heard him mention extending routes, but not specifically mention layoffs. Did he actually say there would definately be people laid off?
He specifically spoke about Sanitation when he was talking about extending routes?

Old 01-30-2009, 01:09 PM

57 posts, read 158,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
He specifically spoke about Sanitation when he was talking about extending routes?
Yes, he SPECIFICALLY said sanitation department may have to extend their routes. ( when he was talking about ways to cut costs)

I took that to mean there would be no new classes any time soon & when people retired they would use the staff they had already & extend the routes.

I could be wrong, but that's why I asked if he ever SPECIFICALLY mentioned layoffs. Cause I didn't hear him say that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City