Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 AM

163 posts, read 328,346 times

Advertisements

Ya Can't PLOW Rain!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,749 times
Default Pensions...

If you switch from DSNY to NYPD your time counts up front (meaning you only have to complete 20 years total from the time you are hired).. I've heard that before. So if you go from NYPD to DSNY I was told by a union rep from DSNY your time counts on the back (meaing you still have to do a full 20 with DSNY and then collect a 20+ whatever you had with NYPD pension. Is that true? Doesn't make sense to me. (Meaning you have to do 20 and then collect a 20 + whatever time you had with NYPD for your pension. As opposed to going over to NYPD and only having to do whatever's left of your 20 years of city service.)

I called the DSNY union and got different answers from different people. Anyone know for sure?

And when I leave (whenever that is....I was supposed to be in the July class but never recieved my medical notification...went down to DCAS and they put me back on list for September class that never happened because of the economy....)......am I considered a "new hire" even though I've been paying into the same pension for 5 years now?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM

246 posts, read 593,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankydoodle View Post
your rite i apologize offwing. i was a little tipsy when i wrote it.
No problem ..I know alot of people are a little on edge with the lack of info out there and all the rumors..

Old 02-04-2009, 02:41 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
No problem ..I know alot of people are a little on edge with the lack of info out there and all the rumors..
And that is an understatement to say the least offwing. When are we going to get a decent snowstorm for a change?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:12 PM

335 posts, read 747,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieflatbush View Post
If you switch from DSNY to NYPD your time counts up front (meaning you only have to complete 20 years total from the time you are hired).. I've heard that before. So if you go from NYPD to DSNY I was told by a union rep from DSNY your time counts on the back (meaing you still have to do a full 20 with DSNY and then collect a 20+ whatever you had with NYPD pension. Is that true? Doesn't make sense to me. (Meaning you have to do 20 and then collect a 20 + whatever time you had with NYPD for your pension. As opposed to going over to NYPD and only having to do whatever's left of your 20 years of city service.)

I called the DSNY union and got different answers from different people. Anyone know for sure?

And when I leave (whenever that is....I was supposed to be in the July class but never recieved my medical notification...went down to DCAS and they put me back on list for September class that never happened because of the economy....)......am I considered a "new hire" even though I've been paying into the same pension for 5 years now?

Any help would be much appreciated...

I believe it is that your time counts up front. You get credit for whatever time you worked in NYPD and put in DSNY when it comes to your pension./retirement. What you dont get is senority or and you start off at the same pay rate as a new hire. If you worked 5 years in NYPD your not going to start off with 65,000 in DSNY. Your going to have to work your 5 years to get up there. But at least you only have 15 years to do till you can retire.

Even thou I work for DSNY HR I still think you should call them. 646-885-0900. They will answer all these questions. Just tell them that your on the list 6063 and that you currently work for the NYPD and your concerned if your time in NYPD will carry over. And they will connect you to someone in my office that will give you all the facts you need to know.

You must have a low number if you should of been hired in the july class. I guess that means whenever there is a next class you and me might be in the same class :P

Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 PM

372 posts, read 829,971 times
my last four checks including this week base salary---626.78---638.41---648.37---648.37....so i guess our checks will be 648.37 till one year in july....

Old 02-04-2009, 03:20 PM

335 posts, read 747,664 times
Man I was just think in my head. It really might be till next year for a next class to start if the mayor is really strict about keeping the headcount

Sigh.

Of course as long as things dont get worst and they have to layoff workers :'(. Which then in that case when they are getting new San Wkrs the guys laid off have the chance to be hired first before anyone on the list is picked again which is obvious.

Man I wish I didn't that one question wrong on that stupid test lol. Tired of waiting. I wanted to be like the others guys here talking about snow money lol.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 PM

208 posts, read 438,616 times
I only hope that if we do get hired in the summer I'll be able to get all the time off I need, a week in august and my honeymoon and wedding for a week and a half in october

Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 PM

35 posts, read 62,711 times
so you wanna get hired in the summer and have two weeks off in the summer none the less. you should lay off the drugs sometime soon,.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:21 PM

208 posts, read 438,616 times
I was ready to go this year,not my fault they didn't go through the typical 600 to get 200, I've had these plans booked a long time in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City