Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 02:05 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSANMAN View Post
they cut 6 recycling trucks in my district and rumor is collection is getting cut this summer, as far as layoffs, i heard from an abs brother in my garage 400 - 800 layoffs, but yesterday my supers clerk said he talked to Bocchi and he said layoffs were only a threat and because of all the truck cutting and other cost saving stuff theyre doing that layoffs arent happening , who knows whats true or not. I got on aug 06 so hopefully im safe, but either way theres nothing i can do but wait and see.

I never say anything here, and if guys wanna run and dump thats their perrogative, but its not helping anyone out in the long run. I like to stay out and most junior guys i work with stay out too, my thing is if a guy has been doing something for 5, 10, 15 years who am I to tell him dont do it, as a junior guy the only thing i can do what i think is right and work the way I wanna work and when my time comes it comes. I think there is approx 2000 or so guys on this job with less than 5 years, its gonna be our job, so its up to us now to do what we can to change it for the better. They cut the recycling in my garage and now work is given back 3days a week, now the 4 - 12 guys are making 3 days of truck money and 2 extra guys are on relays instead of sweeping on utica avenue, its a small step but its progress, and its the first time since ive been there that the right thing is actually being done, too bad it took trucks getting cut to make it happen. Be safe out there try to go out in one piece.
It is good to know that there are still some garages that do the right thing when they cut trucks.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:12 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
There are more sanitation workers with 10yrs and under than those with 10+yrs. The Senior guys are in the minority but it sounds like they are running the show.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:55 PM

156 posts, read 370,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSANMAN View Post
they cut 6 recycling trucks in my district and rumor is collection is getting cut this summer, as far as layoffs, i heard from an abs brother in my garage 400 - 800 layoffs, but yesterday my supers clerk said he talked to Bocchi and he said layoffs were only a threat and because of all the truck cutting and other cost saving stuff theyre doing that layoffs arent happening , who knows whats true or not. I got on aug 06 so hopefully im safe, but either way theres nothing i can do but wait and see.
Tommy Bocchi seems like a good guy, but he also seems to tell us what we want to hear...I've told this story before, but he's a friend of a family friend that's OTJ, so when there were layoff rumors last spring I spoke to him directly, and he told me emphatically there would be no layoffs...a few days later there was a Daily News article detailing the plan to layoff 609 San Workers, so I called Bocchi again, and he basically told me "we're not sure what's going to happen, the city can do what it wants"...I came OTJ before last summer but way after you, so I'm definitely not safe, and it's a big issue for me...

it's just frustrating dealing with the Union, don't tell me what I want to hear, don't tell me "well IF something happens you'll be hired back", I already know that, just give it to me straight...DSNYSANMAN heard 500-1000 starting in June...you heard 400-800 from someone in ABS...these are specific numbers being thrown around very recently, so it's obviously being discussed and contemplated at a very high level, and the Union is basically telling us "hey don't worry about it"...

anyway being a junior guy I appreciate everyone OTJ in this thread passing along what they've heard about layoffs, cutting trucks, etc...it's good to be informed of what's being done and what's being talked about in all the different districts throughout the city

Old 03-22-2009, 07:03 PM

136 posts, read 294,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Are they cutting trucks in your district?
dont know.... until then il be at the beach checking out the ladies and getting paid for it!!!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 AM

253 posts, read 540,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Anyone here hear anything about layoffs? In my district people are talking about anywhere from 500 to 1000 s/w layoffs starting in june.

I hope not... Thats a huge number... I think there is onl 6 or 7 thousand sanmen? That would belike %15-%18 cut.... Thats huge.......

Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 AM

172 posts, read 448,126 times
just a head's-up, they laid-off 515 sanman in may of 2003. they brought everyone back by dec. 2003. all that was being said at the time were that "there might be lay-offs". I came in for the 4-12 and was told it was my last shift and handed a packet with a letter saying that they were unfotunate that "WE" were being laid-off and that as soon as the need be we will be hired back in seniority order. so keep running, see if the senior guy's give a crapola, more OT for them. that is the part of the job that blew.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM

123 posts, read 250,732 times
Default question

if there is a route that can be completed in 4 or 5 hours, if you want to stay out the whole day, how does that work? I understand you can work a little slower, but seems like you would have to be working backwards to stretch it out over 8 hours. are they other ways to kill time other than going at a slower pace? take more breaks? longer lunch?
also, on days when it's really cold or puring rain, I would think most guys wanna get done as quickly as possible and get indoors.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM

364 posts, read 739,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kochise View Post
if there is a route that can be completed in 4 or 5 hours, if you want to stay out the whole day, how does that work? I understand you can work a little slower, but seems like you would have to be working backwards to stretch it out over 8 hours. are they other ways to kill time other than going at a slower pace? take more breaks? longer lunch?
also, on days when it's really cold or puring rain, I would think most guys wanna get done as quickly as possible and get indoors.
lol It doesnt work like that if you dont dump you have to play the game. You have to keep your break times tight, and make sure you are gone right afetr lunch. Thats just the way it is. Listen I am all for dumping your route, but if you choose to stay out thats fine to each his own. You just have to keep everything in order. I have done plenty of routes in other districts where I just finished the route, and did not dump. Thats the way the routes are made, but 80 percent of them can be worked on at a good pace and dumped on shift. I cannot work ass backward to stay out all day. Thats just me not in my DNA. Some people it works for others it doesnt. You ever get stuck behind some collection truck where the guy is grabbing one bag at a time shuffling his feet back and forth at a snails pace. lol Those are the guys working ass backward. Try doing that for 6 hours straight. lol Do an honest days work keep your stuff tight, and let all the locker room lawyers worry about everything else. If it happens it happens nothing you or I or anyone else on this thread can do anything to prevent it. This stuff happens form time to time. Years from now you guys will be watching someone else go through it.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM

192 posts, read 401,272 times
Default Turkey Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Tuesdays View Post
lol It doesnt work like that if you dont dump you have to play the game. You have to keep your break times tight, and make sure you are gone right afetr lunch. Thats just the way it is. Listen I am all for dumping your route, but if you choose to stay out thats fine to each his own. You just have to keep everything in order. I have done plenty of routes in other districts where I just finished the route, and did not dump. Thats the way the routes are made, but 80 percent of them can be worked on at a good pace and dumped on shift. I cannot work ass backward to stay out all day. Thats just me not in my DNA. Some people it works for others it doesnt. You ever get stuck behind some collection truck where the guy is grabbing one bag at a time shuffling his feet back and forth at a snails pace. lol Those are the guys working ass backward. Try doing that for 6 hours straight. lol Do an honest days work keep your stuff tight, and let all the locker room lawyers worry about everything else. If it happens it happens nothing you or I or anyone else on this thread can do anything to prevent it. This stuff happens form time to time. Years from now you guys will be watching someone else go through it.

Shows what you know. The more you believe that there is nothing you can do about it the more it becomes real. It always has been the point that when we stand together we can change what we disagree with. Turkey has been runnin' on routes that can get done in 3 hours or so because guys in the past stayed out on them. Eating off the hard work of those in the past. Snails pace? Some routes maybe but most can last all day if you work like a human and take time to realize that this is your career. That's YOUR route. YOUR truck. Unless of course you wanna give it away? What Turkey doesn't mention is that his foreman runs his show. They have him intimidated into running. If he decided to stay out all his gay slaps on the back would be gone. So it's easier for the whimps to declare there is "nothing" they can do about it and sherk the responsibility to others. Long, long, time ago real men went on strike to gain the respect that turkey's skate on to this day.
I know many peers who worked their entire careers behind the truck and are now paying the dear price. One close friend of mine with 24 years is hiding on relays because he wore out a bone in his foot. Wonder if it has anything to do with him jumping out of the truck 50 times a day 5 days a week? Did it take 24 years? No. He's been hiding it for a while. His favorite line was,"best part time job I ever had". However, there is no talking to the know-it-alls. There having fun thinking they can do whatever they want. They are the ones that know they are ruining everything but are just hoping to make it through their careers before it's too late. Transfer to other garages when the trash hits the fan.
Turkey's job is secure and he feels comfortable with his seniority. In the private garbage industry he would be well aware of what all this meant. But Turkey is just a real smart guy. He's got it all figured out. He's got some real good jokes to come back with. That's because that is all he is. All he will be. A joke.

I try to be open-minded and stay diplomatic but when I hear this nonsense I can only respond in one way.

IT'S AN 8 HOUR JOB.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
question... i know its probably too late, don't know why i never realized but was parent legacy credits eligible for test 6063.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City