Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 02:26 PM

191 posts, read 873,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaPsHu View Post
you're right grins, to get at 125 hires...they may have to call up to 5 or 6 Hundred candidates or so..

it may be even more becasue of the guys who are under 21

Old 03-09-2008, 05:33 PM

196 posts, read 425,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage time View Post
it may be even more becasue of the guys who are under 21

When i took the test i didn't really see a lot of young guys the look like there under 21 taking the test how about anyone else when ya'll took the test did you see a lot of people who look like there under 21 i seen a lot of old people lol.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 PM

93 posts, read 177,405 times
They say for every 3 people they call 1 gets hired. Did anybody hear about that too?

Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 PM

502 posts, read 1,009,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANHB View Post
They say for every 3 people they call 1 gets hired. Did anybody hear about that too?
There is no way to tell how many people will be called, and when. I think that Dcas does the hiring, so anyone on the job, no matter how long, really doesn't know. So we should stop listening to all of these people that are projecting 1 month, 3 monthe, this summer....and so on. We just have to wait and see......

Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 PM

39 posts, read 121,788 times
I hate this uncertainty bullsh*t. They should mail us something so we know exactly when to expect the next step in the hiring process.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 PM

208 posts, read 438,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANHB View Post

I heard that too but from what I also heard its because many people get sick of waiting and take other jobs or they lie or dont want the 350/wk paycheck because they dont see the long term benefits.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 AM

125 posts, read 266,387 times
whatever the projections are on how many ppl will get called from this list, or any budget cuts the city is making, remember there was a mass hiring in the mid 80's therefore a mass retiring will soon be unavoidable unless bloomberg plans on reducing the dsny workforce, there will be many job openings , which is good because i plan on riding that dump truck into retirement!!!!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 AM

18 posts, read 52,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsan View Post
There is no way to tell how many people will be called, and when. I think that Dcas does the hiring, so anyone on the job, no matter how long, really doesn't know. So we should stop listening to all of these people that are projecting 1 month, 3 monthe, this summer....and so on. We just have to wait and see......
I totally agree with you, Salsan and Wannabesaniationguy,no one knows until it happens.My brother works as a boilermaker at the Staten Island Ferry repair facility (12yrs) and his opinion is the city goes thru budget cuts all the time.He also says the city,as far as hiring,is an odd bird.Sometimes it seems like they have no rhyme or reason for what they do.My list # is 26** and I fully expect to be hired in 12 -16 months,my opinion only.My bro insists they go thru a ton of people to get the # of guys they need.1 in 3 hired seems conservative.What we need to focus on here is REAL information not speculation.Again just my opinion.Questions about the best garagge,how long the work day is,etc. are non productive.

Thanks
Gary " DSNYfamilyguy"

Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 AM

364 posts, read 739,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsan View Post
DCAS does the calling of the list numbers to process you, so you are sort of right. After that they have nothing to do with anything. The Department has to relay its needs to DCAS. Which then causes them to call of the established list. Everything is contract and budget if you need more cleaners, more relay guys, and you lose guys through attrition during the year then you would have new hires.That in turn would promote more supervisors, and superintendents ...... There is something called span of control.For so many workers there has to be a supervisor, and for so many supervisors there has to be a superintendent . The staff at FBF has to be bulked up with temporary trainers to fufill the training guidelines when cdl training and new classes arrive. So to say that people on the job do not know is not even close to being right.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:53 PM

38 posts, read 106,179 times
good point turkey tuesday the reality is also that the department is over men everyday because of the mass hiring from exam 2052.until these senior guys start retiring and we start making charts then the city will start to hire again.its a cycle that happens every so often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Tuesdays View Post
DCAS does the calling of the list numbers to process you, so you are sort of right. After that they have nothing to do with anything. The Department has to relay its needs to DCAS. Which then causes them to call of the established list. Everything is contract and budget if you need more cleaners, more relay guys, and you lose guys through attrition during the year then you would have new hires.That in turn would promote more supervisors, and superintendents ...... There is something called span of control.For so many workers there has to be a supervisor, and for so many supervisors there has to be a superintendent . The staff at FBF has to be bulked up with temporary trainers to fufill the training guidelines when cdl training and new classes arrive. So to say that people on the job do not know is not even close to being right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City