Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No, Jealous. She's totally broke and hating on those Caribbean ladies who have JOBS. She wishes a white family would let her clean their floor and take care of their children, but it ain't happening. And she'd love to talk to the Caribbean ladies in the park, but she's too nervous/awkward. So she is sulking, plain and simple.

If she learns to be real good and speak nice to those Caribbean ladies, maybe they can hook her up with a job.

No accomplished or wealthy or even middle class Black woman would even notice what other women in the park is doing. Miranda's attitude is ghetto girl Sheneneh nonsense. She's trolling due to bitterness and jealousy.
NYWriterdude, now you're acting the way the accused OP (ForumFolly). Pot meet kettle. You're the one acting "ghetto" like the male version of She'naynay -- which would be Day'Quan, LeDarius, or Jameel. You're making all types of personal attacks against this poster based on the fact that you disagree with her thoughts. How do you know what her finances are like? There is nothing in her posts that suggests she is unhappy with her career choice so why make a leap that she wants to clean floors and take care of children simply because you disagree with her views? That actually sounds silly because obtaining a job cleaning floors or babysitting are the easier jobs to get than professional jobs. What educated person would get mad because they don't have a job doing that?? A perfect example of "ghetto reasoning" and "ghetto behavior" is to just start getting loud, ugly and extremely insulting to the person that you disagree with instead of accepting there's a difference in opinions and move on. Not true that wealthy or middle class Black woman don't notice what other people do work-wise. People of various social levels and races notice other people who are working in public.

At one time or another we've all noticed one or the other: FED-EX drivers, bike messengers, lunch delivery guy, taxi drivers, the doormen of most buildings, security staff, and the cashiers in Duane Reade or McDonalds. Just as most people who frequents the UES and Central Park during warm months notices moms with their strollers and the nannies with strollers. So to say otherwise is being disingenuous. People may not voice their observations out loud or post them on a forum but people do notice and make no mistake they often share their thoughts with people they feel "safe" sharing it with. The very type of personal attacks that you're committing against OP is the reason why there are "fake" liberals who maintain politically correctness at all costs. It's to avoid the ignorance and the ugly behavior of those who loudly disagree with their opinion, so they find it's just easier to say nothing or to allege "oh, X race does that job? I would have never guessed that because I never notice race or gender; everybody looks the same to me".

Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
These women do not look poverty stricken. They are decently and appropriately dressed for their jobs. They have excellent deportment. They may not seem important to you but they are extremely important people in the lives of the children they care for.

You are comparing 2 entirely different things.
I agree. They look decent. They dress appropriately (non-sexualized). I've never seen any walking down the street pushing a White child in a the stroller and yelling in their cell phones regarding their person lives (perhaps arguing-cursing out baby-daddy) or "OH NO you DID'NT !!" Nor have I ever heard them publicly using the N-word, screaming, yelling and/or cursing at the child when the child misbehaves, whines, or makes a mistake. Instead these women's behavior is that of any decent person with home-training and upbringing. That's why I said earlier I wish Black women (those who don't) would talk to their own children in the tones (and manner) they speak to those White children.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM

Default Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes, i'm sure some do.

Its a doggy dog world out there.

Don't let other peoples perceptions define you.
Excellent post! We can't change other people's perspectives but we can determine to not let it define us individually.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:16 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumFolly234 View Post
There's a plethora of African/Carib nannies throughout the wealthy areas of NYC. Please don't get me wrong, I realize that everyone has to make a living, but as a young college educated African American woman, I often feel embarrassed to share the same skin color as many of the immigrant African and Carib nannies, because most people tend to think that all people of African descent are the same. It's not that I think I'm so much better, it's just that I don't like seeing so many young women who happen to look like me, perform menial tasks and slave-like roles.

Sometimes I hate venturing to central park during the summer, because it's a favorite spot w/ the nannies. Just curious if other people feel this way.
I have sat sitting here and read some of the most outrageous to out right dumb posts on Citi Data, but this takes the cake.

Who gives a rat's bum about how *YOU* feel being associated by skin colour with these hard working women? Am quite sure they don't give you a sustained thought other than perhaps who is this siddity chick giving me funny looks.

Hard working African Americans have long had to contend with snide remarks and funny looks from the "Educated Negro"/Booker T. Washington set that felt these persons working in service or whatever were "uncle Toms" and bringing down the race as a whole. Pullman porters, maids, nannies, laundresses, charwomen and other domestic/service workers have had to contend with disapproval from members of their own race in what shouldn't be an issue and or is certainly none of anyone else's business.

Not every black woman is Oprah or the now "out" AA lesbian host on GMA pulling down 20 million a year. Those nannies like scores of other women in NYC past, present and future are doing what they have to do to take care of themselves and or families.

We live on the UES and know more than a handful of those nannies. Trust me for some you only wish you had their positions. They travel all over the world (either first class or private jet) to some of the most wonderful destinations (Saint Bart's. Aspen, Tuscany, Paris, London, etc...) and can earn more than some college graduates we know. We're speaking of $50K - $70K per year often in cash. Not all have it this way but still.

For your further information as recently as the 1980's it was Irish girls/women that dominated the UWS/UES nanny scene. Yet one never heard of or saw an Irish-American women get her knickers in a knot being associated with "those" sorts.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM

Default Watch out caribny

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
1. What does an upper middle class BLACK family do when BOTH husband and wife work? They probably hire the same Caribbean nanny. Should they refuse child care because it is so "slave like"? These women are providing a much needed service and many Americans of all races are very glad that they do this. Being English speaking they also offer a more enriching environment than if their nanny was some illegal from Mexico with rudimentary English.

2. Many of these women are undocumented and are attempting to get legal residence in the USA, so they have few options. This is an entry level job. You will probably notice that most of these women are young and its fairly unusual to see a middle aged woman doing this kind of work.

3. Most people of every race, including whites, lack college degrees. And indeed, given today's high unemployment, you might be shocked to know what some college educated women now have to do to earn a living.

4. Many black American women work as home health aids helping old white people. I don't see the difference, and indeed I suspect caring for a senile old person might involve tasks which are way more demeaning,

I take it that you are single so don't have child care needs.
Cariby, I could make a joke about the correlation of being a single, Black woman and child care but I won't since it would be stereotypical, lol. I am single and fortunately, I don't have child care needs but I know many single mothers, in addition to married mothers, and they use daycare service providers. I don't know of anyone personally that uses a nanny. I come from a professional entertainment background so I understand actors, musicians, and performers having a nanny due to the constant travel, rehearsals, meetings, etc. But for a wealthy person who is not in a field that demands travel, I consider their having a nanny as being pretentious. Just my opinion, it's not the gospel. I do understand the points you've made. Concerning home-health aides, you're right there isn't much difference in a sense. However, the perception of working for a "company" that hires you as an employee versus working for a "family" who historically and presently is way above your social circle, to watch over and care for their children brings up two different types of feelings and memories. One is I work for a company doing a crappy job for elderly or sick people who need my help. The other is I work for a family taking care of their children who will soon follow in their successful parent's footsteps and experience living life at the top of the ladder while me and my children will remain at the bottom just like my grandmother or great-grandmother did. I admit this may not make sense to people, including some African-Americans, but to many more these type of memories-feelings are very real even if they're illogical.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:37 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
There's a plethora of African/Carib nannies throughout the wealthy areas of NYC. Please don't get me wrong, I realize that everyone has to make a living, but as a young college educated African American woman, I often feel embarrassed to share the same skin color as many of the immigrant African and Carib nannies, because most people tend to think that all people of African descent are the same. It's not that I think I'm so much better, it's just that I don't like seeing so many young women who happen to look like me, perform menial tasks and slave-like roles.

Sometimes I hate venturing to central park during the summer, because it's a favorite spot w/ the nannies. Just curious if other people feel this way.

The problem is you do think you are so much better than them. They are not doing anything illegal or
immoral. The fact is if you see child rearing as menial tasks and slave like roles that says more about you than them. I hope you never are a mother.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:45 PM

Default When it will ever happen?

When will people of African descent from Africa and the Caribbean see the importance and utility in developing AND sustaining something of their own in their very own land.

This is what I wonder too. I don't have a problem with Blacks from Caribbean or African emigrating to the USA in general. I have plenty of Caribbean (and African) friends, coworkers, and clients and we get along so cohesively. But, my question is when will a Black-governed country/island create a place where Black people will want to move to instead of escape from??

If a Black man can become the president of a country where the Black population is 13% then surely a Black-governed country or island should be able to self-rule and create a self-sustaining, functioning, healthy, safe, and literate nation.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:48 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
The loud 200 lb "African American" female that you are referring to is often very low income and resides in the projects. But let's not pretend that there aren't also loud 200 lb Caribbean women. Obviously, I am embarrassed by this group and would like to see them improve their station in life, but this doesn't mean that I'm elated to see so many women of African descent in NYC taking on servant-like roles.

The real question is, why do these women immigrate to the U.S.? Why don't they stay in their native countries and make their society and communities better? Shouldn't they be able to receive a solid education and get a job that pays well in their own native lands? I find it odd that so many Africans and Caribs have plenty to say about black Americans, yet you have countries/islands of your very own, yet do not properly develop the human and economic capital. Instead, many take the much easier route and immigrate to societies that already have the infrastructure, jobs, and educational systems in place. When will people of African descent from Africa and the Caribbean see the importance and utility in developing AND sustaining something of their own in their very own land.

Please cute the nonsense. You don't care one fig about these women, or you would be offering suggestions about what they should do once they arrive in the USA. Your nonsense that they should stay home only reflects your fear that their presence in the USA increases your paranoia that the next white woman who sees you might ask you to be her maid.

And to be frank I don't know why your angst, because it is very unlikely that any white person is going to ask any black American to do a job which is seen by all is an IMMIGRANT job. I am sure that few people look at you and think poor black immigrant female.

People migrate for better opportunities. They might move from Jamaica to New York. From New York to Atlanta, or from the ghettoes of Atlanta to its glossy suburbs.

I haven't seen you demand that black professionals like you ought to live near NYCHA projects so that you can help Laquanda to keep her feet closed until she has a ring on her finger, instead of breeding the next generation of felons.

I suggest to you that if you really care about black women you would help Laquanda dress properly, behave with some class, get an education, ad not breed the next generation of criminals.

Because if there is any image that a white person might link to you its Laquanda, who is 300 lbs, and who spends all her weekends visiting her three baby daddies, and 2 out of her 6 kids, in various jails around the state. And spending the rest of the week at HRA offices demanding her benefits, while "ignoring" the fact that most of her bills are paid by money brought in by her drug dealing sons, the ones who aren't in jail at the particularly moment in time. And of course competing with one of her daughters for some shiftless negro "because he got good hair".

They may well think that you are "different", but this is what the rest of your family is like.

So ponder on that and leave Caribbean nannies alone.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:54 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
If a Black man can become the president of a country where the Black population is 13% then surely a Black-governed country or island should be able to self-rule and create a self-sustaining, functioning, healthy, safe, and literate nation.

If that black man didn't have a daddy who came from Kenya you know that we wouldn't have a black president. Because America doesn't love its black citizens enough to elect one of them to be president. Obama did NOT grow up around black Americas. Ironically Bill Clinton might have more genetic connections to black Americans than Obama does.

This apart from the fact that under this black president life for the average black has gotten WORSE rather than better.

So I don't understand your point, but I do understand that you seem to be as xenophobic as the most racist redneck in West Virginia.

Indeed I have often had the suspicion that, but for white racism directed against them, black Americans would be among the most xenophobic people in this country. You provide further evidence to support my suspicions.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Please cute the nonsense. You don't care one fig about these women, or you would be offering suggestions about what they should do once they arrive in the USA. Your nonsense that they should stay home only reflects your fear that their presence in the USA increases your paranoia that the next white woman who sees you might ask you to be her maid.

And to be frank I don't know why your angst, because it is very unlikely that any white person is going to ask any black American to do a job which is seen by all is an IMMIGRANT job. I am sure that few people look at you and think poor black immigrant female.

They may well think that you are "different", but this is what the rest of your family is like.

So ponder on that and leave Caribbean nannies alone.
Now at this point in gets plain silly.

It doesn't really matter whether it's Caribbean or African American. Neither does well of in NYC, despite the pretensions of both some AA's and some Caribbeans that one community is somehow better than the other. Yes, some Blacks become successful, but of course they bail out of these communities for some rather obvious reasons.

The top paying jobs are full of mostly white people. Go to top professional schools in the NYC area and you will see many more Asians than ANY kind of Black.

Klassyhk has some good points. Its not like any predominately Black nation is an economic or technological powerhouse. Look at the economic development of Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, and India. Can any Black majority nation claim such success? To be honest, both Black Americans and Caribbeans should be ashamed of themselves for taking the OP's bait and falling into ethnic name calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City