Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 AM

5,124 posts, read 4,972,569 times

Advertisements

op, if you have such a diffcult time accepting your own skin color, technology is available to recolor you. Just talk to your doc and insurance company to figure out if it is within your budget.

you are really accusing other people for your own immaturity. But you will get over it with time.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I know several african/carribean women who work as live-in nannies for wealthy Upper East side white families who easily rake in $3500-$4500 a month in income, tax free, plus they get to travel whenever the families go on vacations to Europe, Asia or wherever!

The only downsides I've heard about from the nannies is that some don't get along with the mothers...I guess when the nanny is with the child the majority of the day the child can easily develop a closer bond with the nanny rather than its natural birth mother...
And race has nothing to do with that. I went to a christening a few weeks ago. The family is white and so is the nanny. I noticed that the older child, about 2 and a half, went running to the babysitter all day and not the mother, who was occupied with the new baby.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:52 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
OP, the perception you fear may not actually exist in the minds of others. I'm white, and I've been working in the city for decades. I see a lot of Carib nannies, with babies, yes, but that doesn't make me think black people, American or otherwise, are all menial slave labor types. I work with plenty of middle-class black people--mostly engineers, but also accountants and finance types. They aren't the Cosbys, but they are normal middle-class folks with houses and kids and who are involved in their communities and basically doing all the same stuff my white coworkers are doing. Seeing a black nanny with a white baby on the street has no bearing on what I perceive OTHER black people to be.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:43 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,337 times
Hey, people somehow got to make their money, not everyone is in the same position. Look at life like a Real-Time-Strategy game. The factions you select are different from one another, all beginning at different starting positions and difficulty levels. Some are wealthier others are less fortunate, some are powerful while others are in shambles. These women are just trying to make their money and they are doing so in a legal way.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumFolly234 View Post
In the real world we are judged by appearances. When people see a large group of black women taking care of white children, they assume that I'm like those impoverished immigrant women. I'm embarrassed by their servitude. It's 2014, not the 1950s.
I've heard other people say things like this about these women.

Perhaps you might be embarrassed because of the historical connections.

and yes, historically, during slavery and after, black women worked as nannies to white children, and maids to white families.

In Latin America and the Caribbean as well, you can see the same things.

Blacks and Indians often work as maids and domestic servants and many have menial jobs. I even heard in Peru people are honored to have their maids being black. You cannot be a rich Peruvian without a black maid. (These are the views of many people).

There is no need to be embarrassed. In my opinion it is what is.

But I understand WHY you may be embarrassed.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I know several african/carribean women who work as live-in nannies for wealthy Upper East side white families who easily rake in $3500-$4500 a month in income, tax free, plus they get to travel whenever the families go on vacations to Europe, Asia or wherever!

The only downsides I've heard about from the nannies is that some don't get along with the mothers...I guess when the nanny is with the child the majority of the day the child can easily develop a closer bond with the nanny rather than its natural birth mother...
I truly don't think this is the case for the average domestic worker.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Why would you feel embarrassed by hardworking immigrants earning their keep instead of leeching off the system? Do you think my Mexican American husband feels ashamed because his brethren-in-ethnicity work landscaping jobs? Remember all the jokes about Mexicans being landscapers? No. What he sees are hardworking people capitalizing on a niche market. Same thing with the domestic workers...they're capitalizing on a niche market of elderly and infant care. I betcha though, their children are being pushed to do more in life than being domestic workers. These same immigrants tend to push the second generation harder so that they have more options open to them. So, instead of feeling embarrassed, just smile and say hello.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumFolly234 View Post
In the real world we are judged by appearances. When people see a large group of black women taking care of white children, they assume that I'm like those impoverished immigrant women. I'm embarrassed by their servitude. It's 2014, not the 1950s.
Black american women no longer take care of white children anymore. Not even in the south.

I know when people look at me or hear my voice, the LAST thing they think I'm doing is working as a nanny for some brats.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Black american women no longer take care of white children anymore. Not even in the south.

I know when people look at me or hear my voice, the LAST thing they think I'm doing is working as a nanny for some brats.
Well in New York some do.

Theres also a book on the Caribbean nannies we can see pushing strollers through the streets of New York.

Raising Brooklyn: Nannies, Childcare, and Caribbeans Creating Community: Tamara Mose Brown: 9780814791431: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by Relaxx; 03-01-2014 at 11:29 AM..

Old 03-01-2014, 11:56 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Well in New York some do.

Theres also a book on the Caribbean nannies we can see pushing strollers through the streets of New York.

Raising Brooklyn: Nannies, Childcare, and Caribbeans Creating Community: Tamara Mose Brown: 9780814791431: Amazon.com: Books

I said Black AMERICAN women, meaning those that can trace their ancestry back to the slave ships that brought them here.

You won't find any young black AMERICAN or even older black AMERICAN women working as maids or playing nanny to a white family's child.

The most you'll see them doing is being forced to work as a CNA or at a daycare center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City