Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 AM

54 posts, read 65,721 times

Advertisements

There's a plethora of African/Carib nannies throughout the wealthy areas of NYC. Please don't get me wrong, I realize that everyone has to make a living, but as a young college educated African American woman, I often feel embarrassed to share the same skin color as many of the immigrant African and Carib nannies, because most people tend to think that all people of African descent are the same. It's not that I think I'm so much better, it's just that I don't like seeing so many young women who happen to look like me, perform menial tasks and slave-like roles.

Sometimes I hate venturing to central park during the summer, because it's a favorite spot w/ the nannies. Just curious if other people feel this way.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:14 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
22 posts in a matter of hours and every single one has to do with race.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:21 AM

31 posts, read 44,177 times
You shouldn't worry about people who think everyone of African descent "is the same". I know stereotypes can be annoying but people who say that every single person of a certain color or nationality or ethnicity is the same is a disgusting, racist, ignorant, idiot. Please don't let those people's opinions bother you.

Also, none of those jobs are something to be ashamed of. They're not "slave jobs". Those are hard working women who are trying to make some money just like me and you and everyone else.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:29 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumFolly234 View Post
There's a plethora of African/Carib nannies throughout the wealthy areas of NYC. Please don't get me wrong, I realize that everyone has to make a living, but as a young college educated African American woman, I often feel embarrassed to share the same skin color as many of the immigrant African and Carib nannies, because most people tend to think that all people of African descent are the same. It's not that I think I'm so much better, it's just that I don't like seeing so many young women who happen to look like me, perform menial tasks and slave-like roles.

Sometimes I hate venturing to central park during the summer, because it's a favorite spot w/ the nannies. Just curious if other people feel this way.
You really shouldn't say much unless you can offer these women a better job than what they have. Can you? If not, mind your business and be happy you were fortunate enough to have a college education. Even if they aren't working as nannies, there are plenty of African American women in dead end retail and receptionist/secretarial jobs. Ditto for people of other races and genders (male).

Old 03-01-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native-New-Yorker View Post
You shouldn't worry about people who think everyone of African descent "is the same". I know stereotypes can be annoying but people who say that every single person of a certain color or nationality or ethnicity is the same is a disgusting, racist, ignorant, idiot. Please don't let those people's opinions bother you.

Also, none of those jobs are something to be ashamed of. They're not "slave jobs". Those are hard working women who are trying to make some money just like me and you and everyone else.
In the real world we are judged by appearances. When people see a large group of black women taking care of white children, they assume that I'm like those impoverished immigrant women. I'm embarrassed by their servitude. It's 2014, not the 1950s.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You really shouldn't say much unless you can offer these women a better job than what they have. Can you? If not, mind your business and be happy you were fortunate enough to have a college education. Even if they aren't working as nannies, there are plenty of African American women in dead end retail and receptionist/secretarial jobs. Ditto for people of other races and genders (male).
If I didn't have my professional accounting job, I'd take retail any day, over working as a servant/nanny to a white woman on the upper east side.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:02 AM

65 posts, read 81,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumFolly234 View Post
In the real world we are judged by appearances. When people see a large group of black women taking care of white children, they assume that I'm like those impoverished immigrant women. I'm embarrassed by their servitude. It's 2014, not the 1950s.
I hope this a joke.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
22 posts in a matter of hours and every single one has to do with race.
All of my posts? Negative.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longslim View Post
I hope this a joke.
A joke? Nope I'm serious. I feel embarrassed for them. I'm tired of middle and upper income blacks in NYC always being depicted as impoverished because we happen to share the same skin color with poor African/Carib immigrants and others of the same hue, who suffer from generational poverty.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:08 AM

384 posts, read 512,248 times
I'm not African American, but I'd hope that if I were, I would not be embarrassed by people who look like me being employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City