Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:05 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,706,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Zoning committee is trying to obtain a list from Bronx planning office. I may have one soon. Another problem is that social service agencies contract directly with landlords privately to house people needing support and there is no central database at this point. (This is what Norwood Boy has seen in his parents building on Mosholu Pkwy.) The zoning committee wants to create one so they can make an effective argument to limit any more supportive housing in CB 7. By the way, I found out the new building that went up on Mosholu Pkwy at E 205th St. is market rate with 1 BR renting for $1800/mo.
Pietrang, Is that right? That used to be an old Queen Anne house that took up the whole block. I knew it when the Duffy's owned it. 2 Apts per flr? How do the apts look? I didn't see any designated parking but the building looks good. Yes, your 100% on how Social services go into private contracts with landlords. They especially love the big old pre wars that have 2.5 bathrooms and 3/4 bedrooms. Landlords are making a killing off of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 01:43 PM

579 posts, read 950,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Pietrang, Is that right? That used to be an old Queen Anne house that took up the whole block. I knew it when the Duffy's owned it. 2 Apts per flr? How do the apts look? I didn't see any designated parking but the building looks good. Yes, your 100% on how Social services go into private contracts with landlords. They especially love the big old pre wars that have 2.5 bathrooms and 3/4 bedrooms. Landlords are making a killing off of this.
That's the one. When I was a kid the old lady that lived there used to yell at us if we got loud while hanging out across the street in the park. Building is actually nice looking and fits in architecturally but they built it higher than six stories (I think 9) so it sticks out a bit. Don't know anything about the interior. I would have made them condos.

Here's the web page:

http://www.the-lisbon.com/index.html

Regarding landlords who contract with social services, these buildings should form tenants associations and then hold the landlords to task. I'm all for having landlords make money on their investments but they need to be shown that it is in everyone's best interest to rent to good tenants.

Last edited by pietrang; 03-01-2014 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,274,053 times
Quote:
That's the one. When I was a kid the old lady that lived there used to yell at us if we got loud while hanging out across the street in the park. Building is actually nice looking and fits in architecturally but they built it higher than six stories (I think 8) so it sticks out a bit. Don't know anything about the interior. I would have made them condos.

Regarding landlords who contract with social services, these buildings should form tenants associations and then hold the landlords to task. I'm all for having landlords make money on their investments but they need to be shown that it is in everyone's best interest to rent to good tenants.
I agree with the tenant association thing as long as the building is a free market building. When you mix a tenant association with a rent regulated building, the property rights are stacked against the landlord and if the tenant association is very liberal based, th worst the matter can become for the landlord.

You did bring up a good point about condos and coops. In my humble opinion, the very best option for all of the housing developments on Webster Ave is Coops, not rentals. Owners tend to take care of their property better than renters. The mindset is different. Also, having coops for sale is an open invitation for middle class folks to flood the neighborhood thus increase its presence in the community. There are already existing coops on Mosholu Parkway, around Montefiore Hospital, and scattered through the rest of Bedford Park and Norwood so the idea of creating more coops is not far fetched and makes perfect sense and a sure boost to the middle class population in these neighborhoods.

I believe this scenario should be presented to the community board and developers. The developers stands to make a killing on selling each coop unit, moreso than making these developments into rentals/Supportive Housing.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:42 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,706,549 times
Quote:
That's the one. When I was a kid the old lady that lived there used to yell at us if we got loud while hanging out across the street in the park. Building is actually nice looking and fits in architecturally but they built it higher than six stories (I think 9) so it sticks out a bit. Don't know anything about the interior. I would have made them condos.

Here's the web page:

The Lisbon Apartments

Small apts but nice. Actually the 1 bedroom isn't bad but the 2 is small. Kitchens were done nicely.

Pie and Jay, would doormen in the existing buildings help the area?

Old 03-01-2014, 03:57 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,274,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Small apts but nice. Actually the 1 bedroom isn't bad but the 2 is small. Kitchens were done nicely.

Pie and Jay, would doormen in the existing buildings help the area?
Doorman would help in the sense that it would give off the perception of an "upper class" establishment with higher standards. I would love to see doormen in the neighborhood however my concern is if the rents would be sustainable enough to pay for the doorman amenity. Also, the doorman must not be unionized otherwise the LL would be at the whims of the unions with higher operating cost.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:01 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,918,331 times
Quote:
Don't be so smug. BK and QNS as well as Manhattan have their share as well. In most of new developments, the city trades zoning variances for affordable and supportive mix. I work down the street from a luxury high rise in Manhattan that has affordable units in it. You might recall a recent news story about a kid found dead in an apartment in that building. That was in one of the affordable units. Have you been reading the papers about the development for the Domino Sugar site? DeBlasio is fighting now to get more affordable units there.
Yes all boroughs have their share but these developments hurt the Bronx more than the others. We can all pretty much kick back on the couch and know that affordable housing at the Domino development will not make LIC ghetto.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:00 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,655,806 times
I'll plan to go to the meeting. I really think that streetscape improvements would help greatly - maybe a median. Webster is generally such an unattractive street.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:21 PM

4,438 posts, read 7,707,127 times
I understand that people may have concerns and fears about "supportive housing" in their neighborhoods.

Something to think about: There's a Daytop Village in Downtown Brooklyn, which was there well before Downtown Brooklyn was revitalized, with million dollar town houses on the same street! Daytop is still there!

Old 03-02-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Doorman would help in the sense that it would give off the perception of an "upper class" establishment with higher standards. I would love to see doormen in the neighborhood however my concern is if the rents would be sustainable enough to pay for the doorman amenity. Also, the doorman must not be unionized otherwise the LL would be at the whims of the unions with higher operating cost.
I agree. Doormen do give a nice impression but they are expensive. It adds quite a bit to the bottom line. I lived in a coop in Manhattan with a doorman and I thought it was a waste. Some people think it makes the building more safe but I would come home late at night and often times the doorman had left the front and locked the front door making it necessary for me to enter the building alone. The only thing I found useful was the convenience for packages which makes a part time doorman more sensible. I think 3131 Grand Concourse still has one. I don't know of any other buildings in the neighborhood that have doormen other than Scott and Tracy Towers which really have security guards rather than doormen.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I agree with the tenant association thing as long as the building is a free market building. When you mix a tenant association with a rent regulated building, the property rights are stacked against the landlord and if the tenant association is very liberal based, th worst the matter can become for the landlord.

You did bring up a good point about condos and coops. In my humble opinion, the very best option for all of the housing developments on Webster Ave is Coops, not rentals. Owners tend to take care of their property better than renters. The mindset is different. Also, having coops for sale is an open invitation for middle class folks to flood the neighborhood thus increase its presence in the community. There are already existing coops on Mosholu Parkway, around Montefiore Hospital, and scattered through the rest of Bedford Park and Norwood so the idea of creating more coops is not far fetched and makes perfect sense and a sure boost to the middle class population in these neighborhoods.

I believe this scenario should be presented to the community board and developers. The developers stands to make a killing on selling each coop unit, moreso than making these developments into rentals/Supportive Housing.
I think your assumptions about tenant associations are wrong. Tenants associations are not political organizations. The members (tenants living in the buildings) can be of any political persuasion. They are organizations formed to make sure that the landlord maintains the building properly. Liberals and conservatives all want a nice place to live and when the landlord doesn't deliver, he should be held to task.

I do agree that condos would help the neighborhood but it's not the community board that makes those decisions. First, a developer has to want to build a building and make it condos. I think if Community Board 7 were presented with the plans to build middle class condos they would approve it in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City