Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:40 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
It won't be long before everybody realized how good we had it under Bloomberg and Rudy. And even David Dinkins, who was a liberal and not a very effective mayor, never bashed the rich like this clown progressive we have in office now. You want super-wealthy people living in New York City, not Florida.

De Blasio
Stop trying to scare wealthy city data posters.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:44 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I don't understand how any sort of price fixing for users of private property has never been overturned. I mean seriously, what country is this?
It is hard to believe, isn't it.

I always thought that if society wanted rent control, then society should pay for it, not the landlord.

So if the market rent for an apartment is $1,500, and the tenant has a rent stabilized rent of $800, then the city (which is society/the taxpayers), should pay most of the difference to the landlord (not the total difference because a tenant with a low rent never leaves so there is never a vacancy loss).

This would have made more sense because the taxpayers would only be willing to pay a subsidy to the landlord for tenants who were truly in need. You would not have multi-millionaire rent-stabilized tenants.

And as an aside, all those buildings that were abandoned or torched in The Bronx and other areas would not have been abandoned or torched because the landlords would have been making money instead of losing money.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
It is hard to believe, isn't it.

I always thought that if society wanted rent control, then society should pay for it, not the landlord.

And as an aside, all those buildings that were abandoned or torched in The Bronx and other areas would not have been abandoned or torched because the landlords would have been making money instead of losing money.
I'm against the taxpayer transfer of money to landlords. The landlords at that point couldn't get enough tenants who were able to pay the rent at any price to stay afloat. But that was not the governments fault. Society shouldn't pay for a market that's not viable. Therefore, the abandonment of buildings in the Bronx is just what needed to happen at that time. You have abandonment of houses in parts of Buffalo and Detroit (among other areas) where no one wants to live.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:16 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
We welcome all NY Billionaires. Please bring your money, spending and job creation to Texas where we'll give you a great standard of living and much lower taxes.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 PM

De Blasio has not driven wealthy people out of NYC. If they did leave, let them leave. Everyone has the right to live where they want to live. If wealthy people leaving NYC caused an economic collapse and real estate prices went down, I sure won't cry................

It remains to be seen if you anti de Blasio types are right ,but if you are right I will be happy I voted for him.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:23 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
De Blasio has not driven wealthy people out of NYC. If they did leave, let them leave. Everyone has the right to live where they want to live. If wealthy people leaving NYC caused an economic collapse and real estate prices went down, I sure won't cry................

It remains to be seen if you anti de Blasio types are right ,but if you are right I will be happy I voted for him.
U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E. If this is the attitude of de Blasio and his administration, the city is going right down the toilet. It's not about real estate prices. It's about tax revenue to the city!

There is an incredible statistic about the huge percentage of income taxes NYC gets from the richest several thousand families. So if they leave, it means less money for teachers, cops, sanitation and other vital services, and/or taxes raised on everybody else.

The jealousy, envy and resentment of the wealthy is beyond belief and just flat-out ridiculous. Wish we had more billionaires in NYC. It would mean more tax revenue, better services, and less of a tax burden on everyone else.

And it would not mean higher real estate prices in the vast majority of the city. The wealthy do not live in Staten Island, The Bronx, Queens, the vast majority of Brooklyn and half of Manhattan. So the prices of condos on Central Park West would go up. Who cares?

ARGGH!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:08 AM

122 posts, read 293,550 times
They are not going to get rid of rent control. People have been taking about this forever it is not going to happen. Plus I don't believe it makes as big as an impact as people think.
I used to work in a charter school they are not as great as people assume. Only a few are successful and those should be awarded. Many have enough money to have their own building yet occupy public schools.
People are enraged over this pre k plan when many places have a functioning pre k yet a big city like this doesn't. Even Florida has a half day pre k for ALL students and allow parents to pay for the rest of day. Unlike, in NYC that only serves poor children. Though, I do not think De Blasio will be able to achieve what he says anyway.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E. If this is the attitude of de Blasio and his administration, the city is going right down the toilet. It's not about real estate prices. It's about tax revenue to the city!

There is an incredible statistic about the huge percentage of income taxes NYC gets from the richest several thousand families. So if they leave, it means less money for teachers, cops, sanitation and other vital services, and/or taxes raised on everybody else.

The jealousy, envy and resentment of the wealthy is beyond belief and just flat-out ridiculous. Wish we had more billionaires in NYC. It would mean more tax revenue, better services, and less of a tax burden on everyone else.

And it would not mean higher real estate prices in the vast majority of the city. The wealthy do not live in Staten Island, The Bronx, Queens, the vast majority of Brooklyn and half of Manhattan. So the prices of condos on Central Park West would go up. Who cares?

ARGGH!
I am not envious of wealthy people. Since they have the money to live wherever they want, let them live wherever they want.

If NYC's tax revenues go down because wealthy people leave, so be it. The city will just lay off workers and reducing spending on services. The city government is bloated anyway and I could care less if it has to lay off people. With less money coming in from the feds and all the union contracts up for renegotiation, its happening anyway no matter what the mayor does.

Again, I do not care if rich leave NYC. More power to them if they do. It remains to be seen if it happens, but again, I will be proud of voting for de Blasio if it happens.

In destruction, there is creation. A collapse in NYC (which I am not convinced will happen) would lower real estate prices substantially, making it easier for new buyers and actually making it easier for younger renters.

I really hope people like you keep on with your anti de Blasio rants. Maybe you will convince rich people to leave NYC' I'll be putting down champagne.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 03-04-2014 at 05:21 AM..

Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 AM

575 posts, read 672,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Marx didn't say that.
Marx did say "It is high treason to pay taxes. Refusal to pay taxes is the primary duty of the citizen!"

Old 03-04-2014, 05:22 AM

575 posts, read 672,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I'm not sure I really care. The "wealthy" have made this place partly uninhabitable.
How so? The population is well over 8 million. Looks like that is pretty habitable to me. Not to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City