Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 79,253 times

Advertisements

We currently moving from manhattan to brooklyn. We use time warner cable road runner for 35/month for 15mbps plan and its very good. I found out that in brooklyn, time warner cable internet isn't available at the new place we are moving to.

Optimum online and verizon are the main companies there and i have few questions.

We don't watch much tv and haven't had cable tv in a long time. We had time warner cable internet with 70 + channels a while back but cancelled the service because we dont watch much tv. So all we need is internet. However, we had verizon online dsl before... it was atrious. Whenever the phone rang.. internet would go out for 1 minute... when it rains, internet would be very unstable.

I called optimum online and they said they have internet play for 49.95/month for 1st 12 months for the 15mbps plan and 54.95/month for the ultra 50mbps plan which i say is very good b/c 5 dollar more get you 35mbps more speed. Anyways, they said after 12 month, it goes up to 59.95/mont and 64.95/month. Installation fees are 24.95 and they offer free modem and a free wireless router. I was going to actually buy a new router but they said they offered it free and you give it back to them modem/router when you cancel service.

Obviously i would want to have time warner cable internet b/c its only 35/month and then 45/month but no service there. Optimum charges much more. But how about verizon? I read verizon fios are same/similar price but if we only want the internet.... how are the cost compared to optimum? We wont go with dsl however b/c of the horrible experiences we had with it. It seems like all verizon does is bundle so many serivces... we dont need other services just want internet.

I know with optimum, its 49.95 or 54.95 month flat and theres no taxes and charges and fees. But what about verizon? I see they offer a 39.95 plan for 1 year plus taxes and fees. How much are the taxes and fees? How much are installation charges etc. I think they dont offer a free router if im not mistaken.

So if you only want internet 1 service, better optimum online or verizon fios?

FiOS Internet 15/5 Mbps is the plan but i assume thats slower than the optimum ultra 50 plan? Is the fios plan faster or slower than the optimum 15mbps plan or the same?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM

I spoke to optimum and for internet only, they offer 49.95/month plan for 15mbps which is pretty much the speed we get now for time warner. They said its 54.95/month for 50mbps which is 3 times faster and they said its ultra speed. They said after 1 year it would go up 5 dollars each month but these have no contract can cancel anytime. We would probably go with that one since its 5 dollars more and much faster than it. However, i always heard ppl talk lot of good things about verizon fios. From what i read, it seemed like almost everyone who has it bundle it with their phone and cable internet. But we only need the internet. Would it be better to go with optimum or verizon?

Fios i see offer a 39.99/month plan that requires a 1 year agreement and its 15/5 plan. Is this plan speed the same as optimum's 15mbps plan or is it faster? They also offer a 44.99/month plan thats 50/25mbps... i assume this is same speed as optimums 50mbps plan?

Does anyone who has fios can tell me how much taxes are added to their services? Im curious if anyone only uses FIOS and how much they have to pay total. 39.99/month but i know verizon charges taxes and fees so how much is that total? Obviously if its same or lower cost than optimum and has better service than optimum, i would obviously go with verizon fios. I heard lot of negative things about optimum when reading online.

Also, those bundles they have. When they charge 90/month for internet, tv and phone service, how much does it really cost after taxes a month? The thing is with time warner cable internet and optimum online internet what they state such as 41.95/month or 49.95/month or 54.95/month is the final cost, no taxes added etc but i know verizon they add it.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
FIOS > All cable.

Time warner compresses their videos their video quality looks worse than signals I get from my free antenna.

FIOS doesn't compress their video as much so it looks sharper and less grainy.

Fiber Optic is newer tech you can't compare.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:25 PM

Hi. Well i most likely will be getting high speed internet only... not cable tv. So if thats the case, high speed optimum online internet or verizon fios high speed internet?

I see its 49.95 per month with optimum and similar with verizon. But are speeds same? Optimum say 15mbps and verizon say 15/5 so i assume thats same thing? I think optimum has no contract cancel anytime but verizon its 1 year plan? Optimum does charge 24.95 to install but what about fios?

Old 03-03-2014, 06:49 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
For the Fios installation part, it's free if you register online, otherwise it's 20 USD apparently (I just had my Fios installed in Manhattan).

Depending of the use you will do, speed/bandwidth but also ping (somehow correlated to the upload speed but not only) will count.

For taxes, I'm not really sure, I didn't have a bill yet...

For the price, indeed, it's either triple bundle or just internet or TV. Not using the phone does not reduce the price in any way.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
FiOS is the best, period.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:27 AM

196 posts, read 425,592 times
I had optimum for years and change to Fios an I think Verizon is the best over all.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:10 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
I work in the industry and have for years. To be as basic as I can my recommendation would be FIOS. The major difference between FIOS and any of the cable company offerings be it TWC or Cablevision (Optimum) is one of network design. FIOS is a dedicated fiber service right into the customer's premises and Cable is always shared so it will be more dependent on how many other users on your NODE are on line at the same time. The fine print of their ads includes the words UP TO meaning that it may not always be at top speed. For most people who use internet only the speed difference is not really a factor and depends on the applications you want to use. With this basic design difference the most important thing is getting it installed and up and running in the first place because once they are in both usually are just fine.

Last edited by bilmin; 03-04-2014 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Jeffrey,

What do you do for phone service?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 AM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Jeffrey,

What do you do for phone service?
Probably just uses his cell phone. A lot of people do that. You don't use minutes on your cell phone if you make calls over your Wi-Fi network. I've always preferred to still have a landline however, and now it's kind of mandatory for me because in order for people to use my building's intercom to get in, I must have a landline connected to it. When they hit my code on the intercom, my phone rings funny, then I hit 9 and that buzzes them in.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City