Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 04:22 PM

8 posts, read 14,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNID1001 View Post
You don't have to get your claws out. I don't reply to every sob story, but yours, which has red flags all over, intrigues me. Your drastic change in tone and attitude proves my suspicion. Since your innocent old lady act didn't work, you now are an expert in our legal system.

Obviously, advice is not what you seek and I have no sympathy for you. Therefore, I will excuse myself from this drama.

Have a good day in court.
It's people like you with an abundance of ignorance who would make such comments. This is "not a sob story", it is pure FACTS of what I have Unjustifiably been forced to endure simply because I "READ" and have established what my Rights are and refuse to allow any one to trample over them". There was NO drastic change in my tone nor attitude and your lame suspicions are just as you are. Cold and THOUGHTLESS. There was NO innocent old lady act neither nor am I an expert in the so called legal system. However, READING FACTS will educate you. I DON'T WANT, NEED, NOR ASKED FOR YOUR SYMPATHY. You should have kept your mouth SHUT especially when you had no informed and/or positive information to offer. You are only one who wrote something negative. Just hope such problem never befalls you or someone in your family. What you will think of it then? Furthermore, I am not the only person facing from such a lowlife landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
This may seem like a big mess, but luckily in NYC the laws are really on your side when it comes to renting.

Here's what to do:

1) Go to the district/borough office of the DHCR in your area. Here's a list of them: Contact DHCR

Bring the new lease that they sent you as well as your last lease if you have it. They will be able to look into what the legal rent for the apartment is and advise you on what the next steps to take are.

That should do it honestly But if for some reason it doesn't, do this:

1) Make a copy of the lease for your records. Write your landlord a letter stating that you do want to renew a proper lease, but that this current lease is invalid because the rent amount is wrong. Have this letter notarized and send it certified mail (with the original copy of the new lease) to your landlord. In the letter state that you are requesting a new lease with the correct amount listed, and give them a time limit to get their response back to you (i.e. 15 days, etc.)
2) If they do not respond after your time limit AND it is less than 90 days until your current lease expires file this form: http://www.nyshcr.org/Forms/Rent/ra90.pdf
The form asks things such as the date you first signed a lease on the apartment, the most recent rent, etc. Mark off #6 for the complaint and explain below that the landlord was illegally raising your rent and refused to comply with your request for a corrected lease to sign. They will be forced to answer to the DHCR and may be fined for not providing you with a valid renewal lease and/or will be forced to respond to you and the DHCR.

Just so you know you are still pretty well protected in this process. As a rent stabilized tenant if your landlord fails to comply and offer you a valid renewal lease, you are considered a month to month tenant. As a month to month rent stabilized tenant you are still protected in that your landlord cant ask you to move/evict you, AND they cannot legally raise the rent unless you agree to any increases.

And keep in mind I'm not a lawyer, I'm just pretty well versed in this stuff after fighting for years and years for my grandmother to keep her $1283.00 a month 4 bedroom apartment on West 79th st.
Thank you for your being Very Informative. Some Jerk wrote some ignorant responses to my situation and obviously displayed the lack of Humanity, but it is ever so refreshing to hear from someone who is obviously very thoughtful, considerate, compassionate, Humane, and especially knowledgeable first hand. Living in this city is the same thing all the time and those who have the responsibility of protecting people like your grandmother and myself always come up short. Politics and ill gotten monetary gains are more important to them sad to say. I have already submitted my Over Charge complaint to DHCR and now all I can do is wait to see if they have not been Corrupted by the landlord. They know what they are doing is wrong, but when you don't have a conscious it doesn't matter. The landlord just ripped off a 75yrs old tenant by having her sign a new lease before her present expired only to get the increased amount 3 months earlier and the amount exceeds that of which is allowed by the Rent Guideline Review Board. (??) She didn't make me aware of the problem before she signed the new lease in February, when her lease didn't expire until May 31st. This is the kind of landlord I am unfortunately dealing with. The sidewalk and driveway gets repaired and they get DHCR to increase the
rent, when those thing are actually "maintenance" responsibilities. (??)
Let's face it, if you don't have to pay a very hefty fine nor imprisoned for "Removing the the Fire Escapes from a building which is occupied with Tenants" you feel that not even God can make you accountable for Unjustifiable endangerment to so many. Glad things worked out for your Grandmother and I hope she has many, many years to enjoy her home. Once Thank You for the info.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Being a Victim View Post
It's obvious that you did not read with any understanding of the matter at all. I never stated that the whole world is against me, just my landlord and his lawyer because they want more rent for the apartment and there has not been a LEGAL way established to force me out. Even the buy-outs offered were turned down. In addition, how dare you give an opinion that is so inept. I totally understand our so called legal system and I have not mishandled my situation because if I had I would have been Evicted SIX years ago. As a matter of FACT, the manner in which I have handled my situation is the ONLY reason all UNJUSTIFIABLE ATTEMPTS TO EVICT ME HAS FAILED. Furthermore, I did make every effort humanly possible to collect my Judgment, but when you don't have the money and connections the other individual has it's difficult to succeed in getting JUSTICE. I am in no way the source of my problem, my fighting for my RIGHTS is because it is desired that I just lay down and accept being Violated. And in regards to the Corrupt judges, there if "irrefutable proof" to substantiate my Claim and I am not the only who has experienced underhanded actions on the part of a judge. Think before you give your opinion.
Well here's how to collect a judgement:

https://www.nycourts.gov/COURTS/nyc/...judgment.shtml

Years ago I had a civil case and I was awarded a judgement, so I know a bit about the process. What steps did you go take in order to attempt to collect? Maybe we can help with that.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-29-2014, 07:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

I have already submitted my Over Charge complaint to DHCR and now all I
can do is wait to see if they have not been Corrupted by the landlord.
Not to throw icewater on the situation, but from everything I hear the DHCR has long since been corrupted by landlords. I would not expect much help from them. It almost seems that DHCR's main goal is the elimination of Rent Stabilization.
Many here have found that DHCR is a dead end for tenants.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:18 PM

UNID1001 - It's obvious that you are a frustrated, heartless, ignorant JERK. You don't know all of the FACTS pertaining to the matter, yet you chose to make such comment. If I were the source of the problem the landlord would have been successful in having me Evicted, but despite all the attempts I am still in my residence. The real problem is that unless you have money and connections you won't receive Justice that is deserved. I "am not the only Tenant experiencing problems as a result of the landlord's Unethical business practices", but since I am one who fights back and refuses to have my Human and Civil Rights Violated repeatedly I am forced to endure endless Harassment. It's people such as yourself that makes the World the kind of place that it is today. Karma exists for a reason and I hope you receive yours soon.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Kefir King - I agree with you 100% regarding DHCR's willingness to do the RIGHT thing. It must be kept in mind that money does control above and beyond. DHCR did grant a "very small" rend reduction for a while, but did not enforce that the work be done before TWO years had passed (??). It's a shame that Agencies exist that are supposed to Protect the Tenants' Rights, but only cover for the landlord/slum landlords. Goldfarb Properties "REMOVED THE FIRE ESCAPES" from a building they own in the Bronx, NY in June of "2012" and oddly enough "no one went to Prison nor was the landlord fined Civil Penalties for jeopardizing the lives of those Tenants (?????). When such HEINOUS act is committed and no Legal Course of Action is taken against the CRIMINAL that speaks volumes just how questionable our so called Justice System is. I guess if one has any Religious Beliefs that all can be done is to PRAY.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,287 times
Thumbs down Worst Tenant

Put your self in your landlords position. You would want to kick your sorry self out too. Your leeching off of him, He could be making more money on the home and make more improvements.

My advice is to move out, to avoid all the drama you and your landlord are going through. There are plenty of homes for less money who would be happy to have you as long as you stop playing the victim and twisting your landlords arm. Also stop the act about you not being able to move out of the home, it hurt your cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City