Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I was in the Army. Because of this, I have friends from all over the country. Only two ever expressed interest in even visiting NYC.

Living here surrounded by thousands of transplants, it is easy to assume that NYC has some attraction for more people than it really does. The politics of this place alone turn off millions of people. One of my friends refuses to even deal with airport stop overs in the city when he travels to Europe.

you should move down south by some rednecks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:17 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I was in the Army. Because of this, I have friends from all over the country. Only two ever expressed interest in even visiting NYC.

Living here surrounded by thousands of transplants, it is easy to assume that NYC has some attraction for more people than it really does. The politics of this place alone turn off millions of people. One of my friends refuses to even deal with airport stop overs in the city when he travels to Europe.
Thats because a good share of New Yorkers are so very naive and myopic. They have been living in a sewer so long they think it smells like roses and can't understand others really do smell nothing but stench.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you should move down south by some rednecks.
I can't wait! I have no qualms against saying I do not want my kids growing up around generational poor like you. Why anyone would be proud of that lifestyle is beyond my comprehension. Yours is a "culture" we can do without.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:29 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ you don't sound any better than me or anyone else,
so go ahead and carry your butt down there with the
race car drivers and the big rebel flags and fake like
you're all about it.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Midtown NYC pays the highest average salaries in the world outside of Switzerland. And Manhattan has the highest concentration of Fortune 500 and multinational companies then anywhere else in America. It also has the largest number of small businesses. That is what draws people to NYC as careers are built around a merry-go-round of job hopping at least to those who are qualified, ambitious and want to climb a ladder. It is not for those who faint at the rat race.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
New Yorkers like to complain

Old 03-05-2014, 09:54 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
New Yorkers like to complain
And think we know best. I think we all believe, deep down, that if we were in charge of everything there would be no more problems.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:36 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchick118 View Post
Why are the NYC threads more vibrant/get more replies than any other city on citydata?

I am not hating by the way, thats cool. When I try to inquire info about other cities or peep their threads it's just so dry or a few responses.

Just curious
Look at a picture of America during nighttime.

Anyways NYC most populated city thats why.
We're twice the size of Los Angeles.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchick118 View Post
Why are the NYC threads more vibrant/get more replies than any other city on citydata?

I am not hating by the way, thats cool. When I try to inquire info about other cities or peep their threads it's just so dry or a few responses.

Just curious
I'm not going to give an in depth analysis to why NYC forum is the way it is. But if you ask questions on other forums be prepared to wait for a few days even weeks. Usually it helps to throw in a few derogatory comments here and there. Its seems to awaken even the most dormant ones.

I remember a guy from your state who posted a thread about a controversial subject. He started off by saying " NYers are laying down like sheep" The replies were raining down as you can imagine.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Ive traveled the world from Norway, Ecuador, S. Korea, London, Spain, Copenhagen heck even miami and canada, nj if we want to include some places in north america lol. Born and raised in the city sadly it took 23yrs to discover there was more to life than the 5 boroughs. Im in my mid 30's now.

While theres some places in my travels i wouldnt mind living in for a few months, NYC is right for me. Though Oslo and Madrid give it competition.

Do you really think all those people if they were able to live here without issues wouldnt even try it for a few months? To that i must laugh.
Well I am originally from the Boston area and I feel the same about that area and it is called civic pride son--- in your mid thirties you are about as old as the shoes I have on my feet now. I have also traveled and what I have discovered is that most cities are really all alike that is there are great parts and not so great parts... New york is no better and no worse than most. What is also very common is that people who live in one city or another think their city is the BEST in the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City