Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,607,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
I never said my SPARE ROOM! I said my office, which I used daily to work in.

Ask yourself: do you want to live in a world where people get in trouble for smoking weed in the privacy of their homes?

Last edited by BinxBolling; 03-07-2014 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 PM

943 posts, read 1,193,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post

Ask yourself: do you want to live in a world where people get in trouble for smoking weed in the privacy of their homes?
No, I don't.

But when you live in an apartment or non-detached townhouse, you have to abide by rules. It isn't their home, it's a room in a building, or a section of the building. Which is shared with others.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 PM

384 posts, read 510,271 times
Quote:
No, I don't.

But when you live in an apartment or non-detached townhouse, you have to abide by rules. It isn't their home, it's a room in a building, or a section of the building. Which is shared with others.
Absolutely. It's a shame that people are mocking you for not sharing their low standards.

Incidentally, it's only possession of pot in small quantities that is decriminalized in New York. And it's only decriminalized in the sense that if you're caught with a small amount, you'll have to pay a fine. If you're caught three times, you'll face harsher punishment and possible jail time.

However, smoking pot is still illegal.

I would suggest writing your neighbor a note.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM

125 posts, read 115,443 times
urgh sounds like my neighbor, there is nothing you can do about it sorry

Old 03-07-2014, 06:48 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,607,129 times
What you can do about it, as other people have said, is politely tell your neighbor that it's a problem.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,388,541 times
I wish I could talk to your neighbor for you. You really don't know how to handle this

Sorry you feel this way.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 PM

943 posts, read 1,193,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I wish I could talk to your neighbor for you. You really don't know how to handle this

Sorry you feel this way.
I'm not normally this annoyed by stoners.

But the smell was so bad.

It smelt like body oder.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,817,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
Absolutely. It's a shame that people are mocking you for not sharing their low standards.

Incidentally, it's only possession of pot in small quantities that is decriminalized in New York. And it's only decriminalized in the sense that if you're caught with a small amount, you'll have to pay a fine. If you're caught three times, you'll face harsher punishment and possible jail time.

However, smoking pot is still illegal.

I would suggest writing your neighbor a note.
The cops can't enter that apartment without a warrant. And yes, the pot smell is probably pot, but not necessarily. Perhaps it's incense. I don't see the NYPD doing anything about this even. I don't see a judge in housing court doing an eviction for this, either.

I had neighbors who regularly allowed their bathtub to overflow into my apartment. I had to sue my landlord to make repairs. He did. Only the problem kept coming back. So I moved.

The OP will have to live with it until he/she moves out of the apartment. If you have crappy neighbors there's not a lot you can do about it.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,817,815 times
Quote:
I'm not normally this annoyed by stoners.

But the smell was so bad.

It smelt like body oder.
Open up your windows some. Burn incense. Particular with warm weather coming, that's what you'll have to do.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:09 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,845,576 times
In the Winter, windows are closed and properly working vents pull suck air from bathrooms and kitchens. This creates a tiny vacuum in all tight apartments.
Now if someone opens a window slightly and some air comes in his apartment rises in pressure. This overpressure finds it's way into hallways and adjoining apartments via any openings for plumbing, wiring etc. You get HIS air, especially if HE has a window open.

IF you don't want infiltration from neighbors do two things:
1. seal your vents with saran, magnetic rubberized seals or just a piece of paper held by a magnet...the suction will hold it tight.
2. open a window VERY SLIGHTLY til just the tiniest whiff of air comes in.

This will overpressure YOUR apartment and you will not smell anything from neighbors or hallways...your air will go one way, OUT. Since you don't want TOO much cold air coming in, make sure your front door is weatherstripped but don't weatherstrip your windows.

I've done this for years to avoid smells of old grease and cigarettes, and even curry way back in a rent controlled joint.

Is anyone finds this far too much effort than he isn't really TOO bothered about smells.

(For a tight door seal, use a product called V-STRIP that you can buy online or at Home Depot.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: