U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:06 AM

2,419 posts, read 5,835,734 times

Advertisements

It's another amateur hour episode for New York City's mayor Bill de Blasio. He actually thought he could take a bus up to Albany, organize a few union demonstrators, and roll Andrew Cuomo.

Like him or not, Andrew Cuomo cannot be rolled. All de Blasio did was make his opponent, Eva Moskowitz, look brilliant and sympathetic, like her or not.

Just two months into his mayoralty, the man is a total disaster. I am really missing Mike Bloomberg, despite his nannyism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/ny...tys-mouse.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 AM

4,841 posts, read 9,361,524 times
Yeah the whole city is totally destroyed now, because of him.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 AM

16,217 posts, read 21,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
It's another amateur hour episode for New York City's mayor Bill de Blasio. He actually thought he could take a bus up to Albany, organize a few union demonstrators, and roll Andrew Cuomo.

Like him or not, Andrew Cuomo cannot be rolled. All de Blasio did was make his opponent, Eva Moskowitz, look brilliant and sympathetic, like her or not.

Just two months into his mayoralty, the man is a total disaster. I am really missing Mike Bloomberg, despite his nannyism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/ny...tys-mouse.html
Did you know gov Cuomo also never got along with ex mayor Bloomberg? The Governors of this state are always at odds with the mayor. Let me guess a few years ago you probably supported Bloombergs idea of congestion gouging for cars entering Manhattan? NYT is mostly read by liberal elitist. Even though I don't agree with Bill de Blasio myself, charter schools get plenty of funding from private entities, charities, and to a lesser degree from city, state and federal grants. Charter schools need to provide their own facilities for students such as gyms, computer labs and creative space like arts, music and crafts. Sadly enough charter schools is only a leg up from public schools. At the end of the day the governor has last say about the lives of New Yorkers besides the other entity the federal government and not the mayor. Both Cuomo and de Blasio are idiots to the highest degree, and will continue to divide liberal democrats who try to decide to put where the money is. Tax dollars for pre k students or give to charities for charter schools. Either way the ones who will get hurt by these politicians are parents and kids and by the way the parents are democrats, poor and often single mothers. Charter schools that are created by Eva Moskowitz, students perform slightly better than public schools. The governor is pro businesses and the city and the state is loosing tons of business, local talented educated professionals to other states like Texas, he may need Eva Moskowitz more than ever. I don't think themes like Gentrification is not going to save Harlem, the South Bronx and to a greater degree Brooklyn forever and NYC for long with these charter schools. The governor is going to be at odds with mayor de blasio for years to come. Its time for parents to work hard and send their kids to private or parochial school for better opportunities and a chance at success.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-06-2014 at 01:00 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 AM

25,539 posts, read 21,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Did you know gov Cuomo also never got along with ex mayor Bloomberg? The Governors of this state are always at odds with the mayor. Let me guess a few years ago you probably supported Bloombergs idea of congestion gouging for cars entering Manhattan? NYT is mostly read by liberal elitist. Even though I don't agree with Bill de Blasio myself, charter schools get plenty of funding from private entities, charities, and to a lesser degree from city, state and federal grants. Charter schools need to provide their own facilities for students such as gyms, computer labs and creative space like arts, music and crafts. Sadly enough charter schools is only a leg up from public schools. At the end of the day the governor has last say about the lives of New Yorkers besides the other entity the federal government and not the mayor.
Pataki, Spitzer, Patterson, and Cuomo all shut down many of Bloomberg's ideas. As have the state legislature. He was shot down on an attempt to bring back the commuter tax. Bloomberg was shot down on congestion pricing. He was shot down on a plan to bring a stadium to the West Side of Manhattan. As a result he had no political base to run for any higher office, so he gave up on running for President (he was considering it). Bloomberg is spent politically, but to be honest most NYC mayors are done after their time is up from being NYC mayor. I can't name one New York mayor who had a political career after being NY mayor.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:01 AM

Activating Bluedog, NYwriterdude, and Henna in 3,2,1

Old 03-06-2014, 01:04 AM

929 posts, read 1,549,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I can't name one New York mayor who had a political career after being NY mayor.
O'Dwyer was appointed Ambassador to Mexico. Other than that, I don't think any have. Odd, as many of them were Congressmen before they became Mayor, but their careers were essentially ended in Gracie Mansion.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Pataki, Spitzer, Patterson, and Cuomo all shut down many of Bloomberg's ideas. As have the state legislature. He was shot down on an attempt to bring back the commuter tax. Bloomberg was shot down on congestion pricing. He was shot down on a plan to bring a stadium to the West Side of Manhattan. As a result he had no political base to run for any higher office, so he gave up on running for President (he was considering it). Bloomberg is spent politically, but to be honest most NYC mayors are done after their time is up from being NYC mayor. I can't name one New York mayor who had a political career after being NY mayor.
I know he was not mayor but the only one that comes close is president Teddy Roosevelt, he was a state assemblyman, NYPD police commissioner, secretary of the Navy, State Governor, Vice President under McKinnly who was assassinated and finally president of the U.S.A but again that was a 100 years ago.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:32 AM

27,450 posts, read 21,159,379 times
Here is the thing; Mr. de Blasio has won his election while Mr. Cuomo must still run his race for re-election as governor. Then there is the not small matter of his strong consideration of entering the race for WH in 2016. Either way Mr. Cuomo must position himself carefully on various issues, more so because if his presidential ambitions. The man will be a hard enough sell as a liberal/progressive/pro gay marriage rights democrat outside the North East and West Coast. He must also be seen as taking stances though not popular with Mr. de Blasio and his supporters will solidify a base outside of NYC.

Look for more interesting things between NYC/Mr. de Blasio and Albany/governor Cuomo until at least the latter's election is over, and or until Hillary Clinton makes up her mind about the WH. Only then when Mr. Cuomo knows his future will things simmer down.

Quite frankly after a great first innings (pushing through gay marriage, property tax caps, etc...) the past two years Mr. Cuomo have been rather lackluster IMHO. Like his father the man loves the sound of his own voice, but nothing substantial has happened in Albany after the previously mentioned wins. Indeed for a man that ran and won on promises to "clean up" Albany it seems things are remarkably the same.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:37 AM

27,450 posts, read 21,159,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
O'Dwyer was appointed Ambassador to Mexico. Other than that, I don't think any have. Odd, as many of them were Congressmen before they became Mayor, but their careers were essentially ended in Gracie Mansion.
Leaving aside the outpouring of affection from the 9/11/01 attacks and a few other events most of America historically have very mixed emotions about New York State and City with the most common being the place is vile, evil, corrupt and godless. Al Smith tried to fight the good fight but the thought of a Irish-Catholic Democrat from New York as POTUS was more than many were willing to bear.

Personally would like to think if JFK Junior had lived he would have perhaps ran (and won) mayor then moved onto the WH.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:42 AM

929 posts, read 1,549,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Al Smith tried to fight the good fight but the thought of a Irish-Catholic Democrat from New York as POTUS was more than many were willing to bear.
He was born a generation too early.

Giuliani could've won the Senate seat, but cancer sidelined him and Lazio was (and is) a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City