U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,400 times

Advertisements

[Hello Everyone, (sorry this is formatted so poorly, I couldn't fix it)
I've been subleasing my apartment for two years in Midtown NYC
and it's been a good run. The person who I've rented from has had the
Apartment for over 15 years, we have always had a good situation and I've
always been a good paying tenant. We met through friends and I DIDNT
EVER SIGN ANYTHING. With our Situation being a secret from the building management company, I always knew eventually I must leave. And that was fine, nothing is forever. Now, we have been discovered and I received a copy of TEN DAYS NOTICE TO CURE from the building management's
Lawyers. Now the lease will be terminated MARCH 10th. So, I still have no place to live, and need at least 1 more week. Will they throw us out on the St? How much time do I have after the lease is terminated? I have bank records of on time rent paid. Do I have any rights although I'm officially an illegal sublet? I just need a little more time! HELP! What should I do?!
Thanks, Maggie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:29 AM

298 posts, read 652,350 times
You have like 10 months until the marshal comes. Hopefully the landlord doesn't have your social security # or else you're going to be on the list of people that can't follow rules.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 AM

58 posts, read 78,926 times
After a set amount of time, You can usually go to the management office. Show that you have been paying on time and in full. Ask if you can keep the apartment as a new tenant. If you've never missed a beat, this shouldn't be a hard choice for them

Things they wont have to pay:

Maintenance fees

Renovation fees

Waiting for someone in the market to respond, and becoming rented again

I was living with a friend in a 1BR. He sub'ed leased from his friend, Who moved out of states and paid the rent on time for over 2 years. 850 a month. I gave him 500 a month for the living room, and he had the bedroom. This included Electric, Cable/Internet and of course water.

AGAIN the are NOT obligated to give you the apartment. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Quote:
> You are considered a hold over or tenant at will. The landlord will have to go through a standard eviction process to evict you. They will seek attorney fees and costs against the tenant for the expense of the eviction. The lease will not come into effect because you are not a signatory on the lease. They probably will sue you (sub-tenant) and the tenant that sub-let to you. They probably will not use "self-help" to evict you because that could expose them to liability if they damage your belongings. I would either try to reach an agreement with the landlord whereby you sign a lease or plan to move if you are not able to come up with the rent in the near future. The landlord may nor want to rent to you and you cannot force them to rent to you. If you submit the rent to the landlord and they accept it then you have entered into an agreement to allow you to stay the property for that period of timer hat covers the rent, the next month. If you pat two weeks late and they accept then you can stay for two more weeks.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 PM

6,682 posts, read 7,556,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKane View Post
After a set amount of time, You can usually go to the management office. Show that you have been paying on time and in full. Ask if you can keep the apartment as a new tenant. If you've never missed a beat, this shouldn't be a hard choice for them

Things they wont have to pay:

Maintenance fees

Renovation fees

Waiting for someone in the market to respond, and becoming rented again

I was living with a friend in a 1BR. He sub'ed leased from his friend, Who moved out of states and paid the rent on time for over 2 years. 850 a month. I gave him 500 a month for the living room, and he had the bedroom. This included Electric, Cable/Internet and of course water.

AGAIN the are NOT obligated to give you the apartment. But it doesn't hurt to ask.
My guess is it is either a rent controlled or stabilized price and the rent would go up quite a bit from what the Op was paying. Op how much where you paying?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:51 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,883,505 times
[quote=Maggie G;33775078][Hello Everyone, (sorry this is formatted so poorly, I couldn't fix it)
I've been subleasing my apartment for two years in Midtown NYC
and it's been a good run. The person who I've rented from has had the
Apartment for over 15 years, we have always had a good situation and I've
always been a good paying tenant. We met through friends and I DIDNT
EVER SIGN ANYTHING. With our Situation being a secret from the building management company, I always knew eventually I must leave. And that was fine, nothing is forever. Now, we have been discovered and I received a copy of TEN DAYS NOTICE TO CURE from the building management's
Lawyers. Now the lease will be terminated MARCH 10th. So, I still have no place to live, and need at least 1 more week. Will they throw us out on the St? How much time do I have after the lease is terminated? I have bank records of on time rent paid. Do I have any rights although I'm officially an illegal sublet? I just need a little more time! HE

You should stop living an illegal life like the rest of us. You got caught living a scam why should anyone help you here. You shouldn't have 10 minutes never mind 10 days, none of the other stuff about your rent is at all relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City