Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 PM

39 posts, read 81,669 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I closed my coop on Feb 15, coop sent me an email today and said they will impose a fine of $1000 cause the tenant from the previous owner haven't move out yet, and the coop deny my permission to move in until the tenant move out. I already told the tenant to move out, and she is looking for a new place and will move out soon.

What can I do? $1K seems a lot. And I do not see anywhere in the house rule state how this $1K fine come from. I've enclose the house rule where it states fine structure, please help! There is also sublet rule, the tenant asked me to let them stay there until they find a new place, and they would pay me for the stay. Does the sublet rule apply here?

12.1 Failure to follow the House Rules constitutes a violation of the Proprietary Lease and is liable to penalties.

NOTE: THE PROVISION OF THIS COPY OF THE HOUSE RULES CONSTITUTES A WRITTEN WARNING OF ANY/ALL VIOLATION.

12.2 The general administrative fee structure is follows:
First Offense: written warning (see above)
Second Offense: $100
Third Offense: $250
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 02:05 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Why don't you direct this question to the person(s) responsible for issuing you this fine?

Old 03-08-2014, 05:59 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritkey View Post
Hi all,

I closed my coop on Feb 15, coop sent me an email today and said they will impose a fine of $1000 cause the tenant from the previous owner haven't move out yet, and the coop deny my permission to move in until the tenant move out. I already told the tenant to move out, and she is looking for a new place and will move out soon.

What can I do? $1K seems a lot. And I do not see anywhere in the house rule state how this $1K fine come from. I've enclose the house rule where it states fine structure, please help! There is also sublet rule, the tenant asked me to let them stay there until they find a new place, and they would pay me for the stay. Does the sublet rule apply here?

12.1 Failure to follow the House Rules constitutes a violation of the Proprietary Lease and is liable to penalties.

NOTE: THE PROVISION OF THIS COPY OF THE HOUSE RULES CONSTITUTES A WRITTEN WARNING OF ANY/ALL VIOLATION.

12.2 The general administrative fee structure is follows:
First Offense: written warning (see above)
Second Offense: $100
Third Offense: $250

Welcome to the world of New York city coops... what you have is a bunch of morons who have no idea what they are doing. Write them a very nice prosaic letter telling them to "shove it where the sun don't shine". Then tell them to take you to court and if they bother you again you will take them to court. You won't be invited to the next coop movie night but you don't need these neanderthals. Did you have a lawyer for the closing. This should have all been handled and addressed then since the coop board had to sign off on you.... Go back to the lawyer not here to get advice as to your next step.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
ROTFL to "NOTE: THE PROVISION OF THIS COPY OF THE HOUSE RULES CONSTITUTES A WRITTEN WARNING OF ANY/ALL VIOLATION."

Pretty sure that's not how it works; you can't give a warning for a violation prior to it occurring, and merely providing the rules can't count as a warning for "any and all" violations.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I did have a lawyer on the closing, and the tenants told me they would move out by the end of March. My attorney is on vacation, and the coop board demand to resolve it by March 15th. I also went to civil court for legal advise, and the person told me they can't interfere my relationship with my attorney and me, hence, he can't give me any advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Welcome to the world of New York city coops... what you have is a bunch of morons who have no idea what they are doing. Write them a very nice prosaic letter telling them to "shove it where the sun don't shine". Then tell them to take you to court and if they bother you again you will take them to court. You won't be invited to the next coop movie night but you don't need these neanderthals. Did you have a lawyer for the closing. This should have all been handled and addressed then since the coop board had to sign off on you.... Go back to the lawyer not here to get advice as to your next step.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:05 AM

Thanks for your input. That's what I thought too. Don't know if there is a law statement to quote to the coop board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
ROTFL to "NOTE: THE PROVISION OF THIS COPY OF THE HOUSE RULES CONSTITUTES A WRITTEN WARNING OF ANY/ALL VIOLATION."

Pretty sure that's not how it works; you can't give a warning for a violation prior to it occurring, and merely providing the rules can't count as a warning for "any and all" violations.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:54 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I can see it from the coop's point of view. Most likely they have a rule against subletting, or perhaps they allow sublets after a certain number of years of an owner living there, or they allow sublets from the beginning but there are large fees associated with subletting. It varies from coop to coop, but those are the likely scenarios.

So now they have a new owner (you) who now owns the shares but doesn't even move in, and is subletting from day 1. This is most likely against the rules, as I stated above, or you owe them the sublet fees, and they are letting you know that with their correspondence.

I really don't see anything wrong with what they are doing (provided the rules on subletting are spelled out in the house rules). One of the reasons people buy coops is they are significantly cheaper than condos, but they also come with a lot of sometimes annoying rules (like rules against subletting). So you bought a coop and are immediately breaking the rules. I can see why they wouldn't be too happy.

Your lawyer should have told you the tenant needs to move out by your closing date, and I don't quite understand why that didn't happen. Perhaps your lawyer is not worth the money you paid him.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:56 AM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
In retrospect, the closing should have been contingent on a clean vacant unit.

Yes I would consider this a sublet as long as the tenant is still there. I would try to ensure they are out asap, and negotiate the fee with the managing agent/board.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:17 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritkey View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I did have a lawyer on the closing, and the tenants told me they would move out by the end of March. My attorney is on vacation, and the coop board demand to resolve it by March 15th. I also went to civil court for legal advise, and the person told me they can't interfere my relationship with my attorney and me, hence, he can't give me any advise.
chase down the attorney and tell the coop board you are doing so. The court was right to tell you that and the people here should heed that advice and do the same. Do not pay any fine just let the board know your plans. It is not your fault the tenant from whom you gain no benefit has not moved out.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:10 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
chase down the attorney and tell the coop board you are doing so. The court was right to tell you that and the people here should heed that advice and do the same. Do not pay any fine just let the board know your plans. It is not your fault the tenant from whom you gain no benefit has not moved out.
The tenant is compensating the OP, so they are receiving benefit (per the first post).

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City