Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Article misleading and who would move to Detroit now?

When you break down income statistics into categories, you'll realize the overwhelmingly majority of homes that break $100K are indeed family households with two incomes. $50K is middle class and $100K is upper middle or upper. Money marries money, and people marry others of similar social standing. That includes income. For example lets take some parts of Westchester. Avg household income is $200k+ while the average salary per individual is $100-150K which is typical of a senior position.

Govt. wants you to mingle and tax laws should be obvious. They don't care if you are single. When politicians and economists mention these numbers what they forget to say is that they are not talking about single households. Most people in the world actually do not live alone.

Anyways going by your brainwashed standards courtesy of economist theories DECADES old, middle class not screwed as you can live in Westchester with just $100K enough said. Low income housing being built in many rich affluent neighborhoods and multiple ways to reduce mortgage payments. Are salaries going down yes, but then again leads to above paragraph. Government wants you to shack up with somebody so get on it. This society was never structured in a way where the laws are more beneficial to loners. The govt. knows how expensive it is if you chose to live alone, and so, I agree with their response. You want to live alone and can not afford it, accept the responsibilities and consequences that come with it. Nobody is forcing anybody to incur needless expenses. If you value privacy over finances then yeah that's your problem. Society, in general, provides middle class plenty other alternatives.
I cant disagree with you here plus you get a rep. Government does want people to get married and their are tax incentives for people who are married. There is nothing wrong with living alone, but living alone forever that is a huge issue especially when poop hits the fan like being sick. I think the government is a huge supporter of marriage and society is not intended or meant to be for people to be lonely or have single parent headed families either. The reason why income inequality has increased over the years is in part of the decline of the 2 parent household family unit and an increase in single and single parent households. Also note people are also getting married later as well instead of getting married young. I actually I have to do my taxes soon, the preparer is going to scold me for not being married and not having any kids, but I say hey, I dont want shack up with women in my area, yet alone father kids for them with the eventual risk of child support later one! No way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I cant disagree with you here plus you get a rep. Government does want people to get married and their are tax incentives for people who are married. There is nothing wrong with living alone, but living alone forever that is a huge issue especially when poop hits the fan like being sick. I think the government is a huge supporter of marriage and society is not intended or meant to be for people to be lonely or have single parent headed families either. The reason why income inequality has increased over the years is in part of the decline of the 2 parent household family unit and an increase in single and single parent households. Also note people are also getting married later as well instead of getting married young. I actually I have to do my taxes soon, the preparer is going to scold me for not being married and not having any kids, but I say hey, I dont want shack up with women in my area, yet alone father kids for them with the eventual risk of child support later one! No way!
I'm assuming the tax preparer is joking with you and not actually advising you to have a family to gain tax benefits.

Getting married is hardly an insurance policy against being lonely these days. You're wise to hold off.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,773 times
My household is the epitome of what middle class is.
College educated, white collar jobs, no debt and with enough savings to live without having to work for 2 yrs.

Last edited by likeminas; 03-10-2014 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,190 times
I do not like that term.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Money marries money.

people still get married?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
EVERYBODY is screwed except the upper-upper class.

And it will continue to get worse until all the a$$holes in the country stop being slapped down, see sense and take back the wealth. But the chances of that happening with a population that is being dumbed down daily is near zero. So the morons go to the voting box and choose A or B and assume something will change.

Like frogs in the proverbial pot of steadily heating water.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
people still get married?
Yes. Marriage is an essential component to being middle class. All of the white twenty somethings in my department got married within the past four years. For some reason, they receive multiple promotions in a short period of time. They make $75,000 by age 25 and marry someone whose salary is comparable. Within their first year of marriage, they buy homes in New Jersey or Long Island with the help of family. Mortgages are not that high if you are able to put down 20%.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
My household is the epitome of what middle class is.
College educated, white collar jobs, no debt and with enough savings to live without having to work for 2 yrs.
Aren't you special.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Aren't you special.
I answered your question.
But I suppose you were expecting only one type of answer.

I guess if I said, "I'm still paying down my college loans and I'm only 1 paycheck away from financial disaster" you'd feel better about yourself.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
I've always felt I was middle classed, regardless of how much I made. Never rich or upper middle, but always enough to pay my bills, travel, etc and not feel I *had* to get married in order to own something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: