Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
25,341 posts, read 36,845,576 times
Reputation: 12730

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Yes. Marriage is an essential component to being middle class. All of the white twenty somethings in my department got married within the past four years. For some reason, they receive multiple promotions in a short period of time. They make $75,000 by age 25 and marry someone whose salary is comparable. Within their first year of marriage, they buy homes in New Jersey or Long Island with the help of family. Mortgages are not that high if you are able to put down 20%.

Goodness, I didn't realize that OZZIE AND HARRIET was still on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2014, 06:49 AM
 
5,724 posts, read 7,445,278 times
Reputation: 4518
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I answered your question.
But I suppose you were expecting only one type of answer.


I guess if I said, "I'm still paying down my college loans and I'm only 1 paycheck away from financial disaster" you'd feel better about yourself.
Get over yourself. It was said in jest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 AM
 
5,724 posts, read 7,445,278 times
Reputation: 4518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Goodness, I didn't realize that OZZIE AND HARRIET was still on TV.
No. It is quite common in the white collar world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 AM
 
6,192 posts, read 7,307,571 times
Reputation: 7558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I cant disagree with you here plus you get a rep. Government does want people to get married and their are tax incentives for people who are married.
I'd love for that to actually happen---what tax incentive? Ever since we got married, we've done nothing but owe the government money, which we didn't owe making similar salaries when we were single. Honestly, people always say that, and I'd really love to know how that works without having your spouse as your dependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 AM
 
Location: USA
8,012 posts, read 11,351,100 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Yes. Marriage is an essential component to being middle class. All of the white twenty somethings in my department got married within the past four years. For some reason, they receive multiple promotions in a short period of time. They make $75,000 by age 25 and marry someone whose salary is comparable. Within their first year of marriage, they buy homes in New Jersey or Long Island with the help of family. Mortgages are not that high if you are able to put down 20%.

how do you know everything? it seems that gays and lesbians have taken over marriage in much of this country. this place is all upside down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
424 posts, read 969,304 times
Reputation: 316
Socioeconomics- one of my favorite topics. Class is a combination of things but in NYC it seems there's a large range of what is "middle class". It can even vary borough by borough... I hear some Manhattan residents defining themselves as being middle class when their household income is $200,000+ per year; I'm not sure if they're comparing themselves to millionaires but defining yourself as middle class while earning six figures will get you some very confused looks in the rest of the country.

Then there are people who earn around the average of national average of around $45,000 in the outer boroughs and maintain solid middle class lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
My household is the epitome of what middle class is.
College educated, white collar jobs, no debt and with enough savings to live without having to work for 2 yrs.
That's more along the lines of upper middle class or being affluent IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,894 posts, read 5,886,810 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Socioeconomics- one of my favorite topics. Class is a combination of things but in NYC it seems there's a large range of what is "middle class". It can even vary borough by borough... I hear some Manhattan residents defining themselves as being middle class when their household income is $200,000+ per year; I'm not sure if they're comparing themselves to millionaires but defining yourself as middle class while earning six figures will get you some very confused looks in the rest of the country.

Then there are people who earn around the average of national average of around $45,000 in the outer boroughs and maintain solid middle class lifestyle.



That's more along the lines of upper middle class or being affluent IMO.
I don't consider my household to be affluent or upper middle class but I think you're correct in pointing out the contrasting differences of what 'middle class' could mean to different people, when asked that question.
The term 'Middle class' is so broad that common measures of what constitutes middle class vary significantly among cultures and geographical localtions.
In NYC in particular, speaking in terms of household income, I think we could all agree that it's gonna be definitely higher than most places in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 PM
 
7,296 posts, read 11,806,602 times
Reputation: 3266
It also makes a lot of difference in the NYC area to not own a home - one has more financial flexibility and less pressure to meet mandatory debt payments especially after a job loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 PM
 
2,848 posts, read 7,551,344 times
Reputation: 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I don't consider my household to be affluent or upper middle class but I think you're correct in pointing out the contrasting differences of what 'middle class' could mean to different people, when asked that question.
The term 'Middle class' is so broad that common measures of what constitutes middle class vary significantly among cultures and geographical localtions.
In NYC in particular, speaking in terms of household income, I think we could all agree that it's gonna be definitely higher than most places in America.
I wouldn't consider you upper middle class or affluent based on your description, considering I'm in a similar boat and definitely don't see myself that way! However, when you consider how much of the population is not as 'fortunate' as that, then you can understand how you might be viewed that way. This city is expensive. Just look at a recent post where someone was asking what the equivalent of a $55K salary in Vegas is in NYC, and it was over $100k...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:09 PM
 
33,389 posts, read 46,804,398 times
Reputation: 14045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
people still get married?
I did.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top