Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,634,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoNYC View Post
The guy is a filthy communist. Just look at the people who he admires and the people that advise him. I knew he was bad news from the word jump.

The problem was that Lhota was a garbage candidate too. I don't think this city had had a good mayor since Koch.
Clinton came in as president with similar tendencies, but it turned out he was an amazing president, he cut down on leeches dependent on welfare, eliminated the federal defecit, and employment was never better that under him. DeBlasio is a friend of Clinton, and I would hope that he listens to his advice. I'm not optimistic so far though, DeBlasio does seem to be on the far extreme left and if the city implodes then people will vote him out. We just need an independent or GOP candidate that isn't garbage like LHota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:55 AM

33,575 posts, read 46,904,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I cannot believe de Blasio wants to put the very well-regulated horse and carriage business in the dumper, thereby throwing who knows how many small business people out of work (I thought he liked the little guy/gal).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/10/ny...carriages.html

Hey De Blasio, horses pull carriages. That's what they like to do. When is the last time one of these horses was hit by a car?

Check out this old New York City photo of horses and buggies waiting at the Cunard dock.
Lhota supported it too...so I would be glad to edit the title of this thread, you know, so it's more accurate:

Mayor Bloomberg: If carriage horse business ends, horses will die - NY Daily News

Joe Lhota thinks horse carriages should be "motorized"

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,362,378 times
you conservatives are more annoying than liberals.
it's ridiculous how much you whine and name-call
when you lose an election.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 AM

72 posts, read 126,754 times
I didn't realize that disagreeing with a politician makes you a whiner. I'm a Democrat, by the way. The guy just doesn't seem like he is ready for prime time. Between his handling of the snow to the charter schools issue and now this...the guy just seems to be making very poor decisions. He doesn't even know how to correctly eat a slice of pizza for heaven's sake! In all fairness, I will compliment his choice of Bill Bratton as police chief. This hopefully signals more of a moderate Bill Clinton-esque turn. I really do hope he succeeds for the sake of the city.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:41 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,994,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Don't you have anything better to do than complain about the mayor? I'm starting to wonder if you are being paid by Rupert Murdoch to continue this constant barraging of DeBlasio.
I feel that same way.

There are a couple on here that are blaming the mayor for things the PRIOR administration put into affect and believe folks will fall for it.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,597,644 times
Eliminating the horse drawn carriages frees up valuable stable space for developers. Let's be honest here. This isn't about whether or not the carriage industry is humane, this is about somebody profiting over land deals.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,994,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoNYC View Post
The guy is a filthy communist. Just look at the people who he admires and the people that advise him. I knew he was bad news from the word jump.

The problem was that Lhota was a garbage candidate too. I don't think this city had had a good mayor since Koch.
You must have been around when the Cuban embargo was enacted, weren't you?

No one under the age of 40 calls anyone a "communist", "commie" or "pinko" anymore.

And Koch was one of the most corrupt mayors the city had ever seen. He was WORSE than Bloomberg.

Bloomberg became a muckup during his last term. Koch allowed slumlords to run amock and it was under HIS leadership that hundreds of south bronx buildings were burnt out by landlords trying to claim insurance.

Yeah, what a "wonderful" mayor Koch was.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 AM

89 posts, read 150,128 times
Quote:
I cannot believe de Blasio wants to put the very well-regulated horse and carriage business in the dumper
Really? You can't believe it? Did you not read at least ONE article on his platform while he was running for office? The Mayor's stance on horse drawn carriages isn't exactly new so enough with the pearl clutching. I don't agree with the Mayor on everything and I've loved and ridden horses all my life but there is no way you're going to convince me that they belong on the streets of NYC. And if Liam was standing in front of me, I'd tell him the same thing. Why is he coming out now all of a sudden? Perhaps because he has a movie to promote? Whether I agree with DeBlasio or not, he's doing what he said he was going to do. Gotta give him credit for that.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,597,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk321 View Post
Really? You can't believe it? Did you not read at least ONE article on his platform while he was running for office? The Mayor's stance on horse drawn carriages isn't exactly new so enough with the pearl clutching. I don't agree with the Mayor on everything and I've loved and ridden horses all my life but there is no way you're going to convince me that they belong on the streets of NYC. And if Liam was standing in front of me, I'd tell him the same thing. Why is he coming out now all of a sudden? Perhaps because he has a movie to promote? Whether I agree with DeBlasio or not, he's doing what he said he was going to do. Gotta give him credit for that.
IMHO Liam Neeson is coming out against DeBlasio's proposal because LN is trying to support his fellow Irishmen who make up a portion of carriage industry.

I don't know why the horses (as long as they are, in fact, properly cared for) be moved inside Central Park and off the streets? History, tradition, tourists, are one thing but safety trumps it all.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 AM

8,639 posts, read 11,005,894 times
I am not a fan of the horse carriage overall. De Blasio is a coward to eliminate it all. He should regulate it more if it was an issue about the horses.

Is he realty bent on driving money & jobs out of nyc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City