Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
It's bad making 1 username for everything

A simple google search pulled up your instagram and facebook account

The beauty of the internet
That's just creepy man. Just because you CAN lookup someone on the internet doesn't mean you SHOULD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 09:02 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Yes, in the first post the OP said she didn't have the money to move, in another post she was saving up to buy a house, and in another post she said she did have the money to move. I would not live in a house with a mold problem, amoung other issues. From the living conditions the OP describes the house is unhealthy for her family.
Yes, I noticed that as well. In the OP the conditions of the house and her apartment sound unliveable but in another post she said "my house isn't disgusting".

Old 03-14-2014, 09:39 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Yes, I noticed that as well. In the OP the conditions of the house and her apartment sound unliveable but in another post she said "my house isn't disgusting".
She clearly changed up after people started ragging on her and making her feel bad.

I believe her original post. If she could truly afford to live someplace else, then why would she put up living in a hovel and being taken advantage of?

It's not easy to get an apartment in NYC. You need to have a broker's fee, maybe two months security, first and last month's rent, good credit, etc..

People kill me with "then just MOVE" as though the funds are available. The landlord isn't being "nice" or "generous" by letting her stay there until June, if she still has to pay rent. He knows he's renting an illegal apartment and is still being greedy in the process.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
She clearly changed up after people started ragging on her and making her feel bad.

I believe her original post. If she could truly afford to live someplace else, then why would she put up living in a hovel and being taken advantage of?

It's not easy to get an apartment in NYC. You need to have a broker's fee, maybe two months security, first and last month's rent, good credit, etc..

People kill me with "then just MOVE" as though the funds are available. The landlord isn't being "nice" or "generous" by letting her stay there until June, if she still has to pay rent. He knows he's renting an illegal apartment and is still being greedy in the process.
She said she's saving to buy a house. Buying a house requires significantly more funds than moving to a new apartment. Her posts were contradictory and had that "poor me" tone, especially the first one. I don't buy it for one second. She stayed there because the price was right and it allowed her to save the money towards a house.

I don't believe that she didn't know this was an illegal rental. She put up with all the downsides to this apartment for years because it was cheap. Why else would she stay in that building and bear children and move into a separate apartment in the same property after already living there for a few years? This isn't a rent stabilized property so none of those factors come into play.

She lived there because it suited her, and now she's crying about her landlord and how bad he is, but only now after she's been given notice.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:36 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,623 times
I'm not exactly sure that type of advice the OP was fishing for in her original post. It sounded to me from the first post that she actually wanted to stay there????

Old 03-14-2014, 12:03 PM

419 posts, read 625,551 times
another invasive cockroach...

Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I'm not exactly sure that type of advice the OP was fishing for in her original post. It sounded to me from the first post that she actually wanted to stay there????
She actually wants to stay there, if you read her post. That's why she emphasized she had no place to go, she has children, etc.

But being that she had no lease, that this was month to month, etc., she has no leg to stand on as far as staying goes. She has to move out, period. Either by June or the landlord will take her to court and evict her. Plain and simple.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

The guy who owns this house is not running an orphanage. It's not his responsibility to take care of her and her children for the rest of their lives. They have no lease on this place and ultimately they will have to go. Where? It's not the problem of the owner of this house. It's something this woman will have to figure out on her own.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
She did which is why she was listing all of the financial stuff she added to the home, such as the new fridge and such.

The home was a fire hazard. I really wished she would have left once both landlords lied about fixing it up. The second landlord was supposed to have it painted, but instead of hiring people just gave the paint to the TENANTS to do.

Like who the hell does that crap??

Both landlords treated the OP like a simp and knew they could get away with it. I really wished she would have called the building inspectors or reported them to the proper agencies.

I also feel the OP shouldn't pay any rent until June for the sheer audacity of the landlord making her paint her own damn apartment and not performing upkeep on the house.

But unfortunately, if she doesn't pay rent, then the landlord could give a bad reference for her.

Unless I was an outlaw of some kind, I never would have stayed in that hovel. I know the OP doesn't consider it one, but from her ORIGINAL description it sure meets the standards.

Last edited by marilyn220; 03-14-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
She said she's saving to buy a house. Buying a house requires significantly more funds than moving to a new apartment. Her posts were contradictory and had that "poor me" tone, especially the first one. I don't buy it for one second. She stayed there because the price was right and it allowed her to save the money towards a house.

I don't believe that she didn't know this was an illegal rental. She put up with all the downsides to this apartment for years because it was cheap. Why else would she stay in that building and bear children and move into a separate apartment in the same property after already living there for a few years? This isn't a rent stabilized property so none of those factors come into play.

She lived there because it suited her, and now she's crying about her landlord and how bad he is, but only now after she's been given notice.
LOL!! You guys are so mean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: