Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Hil hop sales would be higher then the records show. Hip hop is heavily boot legged. Rock and country not in the same situations unless they have their own black market which I'm unaware of.
Then if it's bootlegged it wasn't sold because the aritst made no money off of it and the RIAA sales records stand.

Oh, and anyone can illegally download music, so all categories of music are bootlegged to some degree. The bottom line is those are the sales records and where the industry is making its money.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennieboom View Post

NYWriterdude shows us why Blacks underperform in academia, you heard his comment? he said "he does not care how black kids perform in school" if that is your group of people how could you not care?
This is true of people of all races, nobody really gives a damn unless it affects them personally. The biggest cities have rapidly growing homeless populations. Do you honestly think a bum of any race can expect sympathy and support from someone because they are of the same race? Absolutely not. We live in the 21st century, a century in which people dump elderly people in nursing homes and abandon them. People barely care about their families and this is true of all races. So if you're someone whose unknown to them and you go through hard times, essentially no one gives a damn. They're just happy it isn't them.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:25 AM

I'll go ahead and say one more thing on this topic.

Everything is personal. In the real world, people have to struggle to retain and keep employment and feed themselves. They struggle to deal with their families. At the end of the day, or the beginning of the month you personally have to pay the rent note or the mortgage or you're on the street. The race/ethnic group/community isn't there. You're there.

When I had to come up with 200k over a period of 4 years to pay for my undergraduate education, was the Black community there? No.

Anytime I had to deal with my own personal financial difficulties was the Black community there? No, and they shouldn't have been. My life is my situation and my responsibility.

In terms of young minority men getting locked up, two of my cousins have been locked up repeatedly since early teens for everything, including murder. Why they did do what they did? I have no idea. I'm not a mind reader. I can only thank god I didn't do what they did. Clearly if I couldn't stop them from being criminals how in the hell could I do anything for people who are perfect strangers? Which is why I don't give a damn about the so called minority communities. I can only do the best that I can do to take care of myself. And people individually will either figure out to take care of themselves (if they have the intelligence) or they won't if they aren't smart enough. Oh, and of course one of my thug cousin has at least one child with a crackhead. I'm sure that child has a great future in store for her (sarcasm) but I don't worry about it as I can't magically change her parents. No amount of educational reform will save her, given who she has for parents. She will hopefully have the sense not to follow in their footsteps, and if she doesn't she is screwed.

Oh, but it gets worse than that. You see, I have an aunt in a nursing home, and it's interesting to watch people in nursing homes. Every time I visit my aunt I'm the only young visitor I see. The other visitors who visit the patients there are all elderly. My aunt's roommate (an old white woman) slapped one of the nursing home workers. After that she was heavily medicated to the point where I never saw her awake again. A few months later she died. As far as I could see no one ever visited this old woman (like most of the people in the home). As for my aunt, she's got two children, and one grandchild. Her son and grandson never visited, even though she spent 30k on trying to get him out of jail repeatedly. Her daughter visited for a week and hasn't been back. I guess she can't be bothered.

Speaking of old relatives, I have other old, sick relatives. Of course none of my cousins care to bother or help. So I made arrangements for them to get a home health aide/nursing service (the assessment for that will soon happen) and they may go in the nursing home.

Now, in terms of actually helping down and out people or even giving them advice on education, I stopped long ago. My cousin once got out of jail and claimed he was turning around his life. So I actually helped him out with his college application forms. Of course he got locked up in jail. So the next time he got out of jail and needed help with his college application forms, I wouldn't help because it would be a waste of my time. And yup, he's behind bars again. I also had a friend who became a crackhead, and got Aids. After spending years on welfare, he got into community college. He had an old man help him out with his college application and financial aid application. He got an associates. Unfortunately, the old man got sick and wasn't seen again. So the crackhead asked me for help on his application. I said only if he paid me money and even then I might decline as I am not a welfare caseworker. I didn't help him. He didn't get accepted. He got busted for selling drugs and got thrown out of NYCHA. Last I heard he was staying in shelters and welfare motels. I made the decision that my education was really for my benefit (getting a better job was what I wanted) not giving social services/welfare services to idiots.

And I am getting somewhere with these scenarios. People who have both professional and/or personal experience with the underclass do not believe you can magically cure their problems by offering math classes. In fact, social workers/mental health workers tend to be negative on thinking much can be done for the underclass. Ditto for people who had to personally deal with them. I think a lot of people here are proposing solutions based on their own naivety and their own strange needs to feel good.

Many of the people I know who work in social services/mental health emotionally distance themselves from their clients, because their beggar clients will always want more and more and more help. Those who personally know these people also have had to either set strict boundaries or otherwise write these people out of their lives.

To any Afrocentrists here, if you think I am going to unite with the above mentioned Black and Latin people that just shows you're shooting the same heroin that they are. This talk of unity is typical parasitic drug addict talk, because in uniting they want to just leech off other people's resources and work.

In a sense, it's actually offensive and racist that some of you try to claim that all Blacks and Hispanics are somehow magically responsible for these people, and that somehow we have the solutions to fix these problems when most of us have to struggle to take care of the things we can in our own lives (including supporting ourselves).

Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,607,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is true of people of all races, nobody really gives a damn unless it affects them personally. The biggest cities have rapidly growing homeless populations. Do you honestly think a bum of any race can expect sympathy and support from someone because they are of the same race? Absolutely not. We live in the 21st century, a century in which people dump elderly people in nursing homes and abandon them. People barely care about their families and this is true of all races. So if you're someone whose unknown to them and you go through hard times, essentially no one gives a damn. They're just happy it isn't them.

To all of those out there that are not african americans......Please don't think that the thoughts of this guy represent the thoughts of the black community as a whole. He has his own personal agenda and his own issues that he needs to work out. There are many of us that actually want to see our own people do better. I have dedicated the last 10 years of my life to doing this. And I have seen progress in my own circle as an educator. If black people could collectively come together things would get a little better. But there will always be road blacks and there will always be people that have their own personal agenda and turn their backs on their own people without a second thought. I have accepted this fact. Will continue to do my part.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 AM

3,943 posts, read 5,056,550 times
Has anyone considered asking the few minorities accepted how they did it?

Or even better... since we're not addressing the situation, nor do we have any reason to track it-
Should we just admit the students without asking them their race, and not publicize the color of any schools.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
To all of those out there that are not african americans......Please don't think that the thoughts of this guy represent the thoughts of the black community as a whole. He has his own personal agenda and his own issues that he needs to work out. There are many of us that actually want to see our own people do better. I have dedicated the last 10 years of my life to doing this. And I have seen progress in my own circle as an educator. If black people could collectively come together things would get a little better. But there will always be road blacks and there will always be people that have their own personal agenda and turn their backs on their own people without a second thought. I have accepted this fact. Will continue to do my part.
Everyone has his own personal agenda, and we all have issues to work on. All human beings. There will always be problems in all communities.

You cannot expect education or the government to rid the world of problems.

With that said, in all of my posts I have said I do not believe in the existence of the African American communities. I am a firm believer in individualism and identity politics/racism is just a dumb form of collectivism.

Please give one solid reason why anyone should want to see their "people" do better. It's an individual's choice to live the life they chose, to, whether good or bad. But I suppose collectivists don't believe in free will?

And if you advocate help so much, I'll give you the example of my young cousin. Dad always in and out of jail. Mother is crackhead. What could you do to change this situation? Know that there are many people like this in all races. But what can be done? At best, you could take the child away and place in foster care, but that's no guarantee of a healthy outcome. As for the schools, last I recall teachers are not social workers/psychologists/psychiatrists.

But if you really want to know what I think specifically about underclass people, a big portion of them are plain scum and I refuse to allow liberal/leftist propaganda guilt trip me into being dragged down into the criminal cesspool that swallows up so many idiots who have poor judgment.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Has anyone considered asking the few minorities accepted how they did it?

Or even better... since we're not addressing the situation, nor do we have any reason to track it-
Should we just admit the students without asking them their race, and not publicize the color of any schools.
Exactly this. Then people can get in based on their individual talent. We have no reason to track what percentage of people get in and graduate. At the end of the day people need to be able to stand on their individual merits.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Everyone has his own personal agenda, and we all have issues to work on. All human beings. There will always be problems in all communities.

You cannot expect education or the government to rid the world of problems.

With that said, in all of my posts I have said I do not believe in the existence of the African American communities. I am a firm believer in individualism and identity politics/racism is just a dumb form of collectivism.

Please give one solid reason why anyone should want to see their "people" do better. It's an individual's choice to live the life they chose, to, whether good or bad. But I suppose collectivists don't believe in free will?

And if you advocate help so much, I'll give you the example of my young cousin. Dad always in and out of jail. Mother is crackhead. What could you do to change this situation? Know that there are many people like this in all races. But what can be done? At best, you could take the child away and place in foster care, but that's no guarantee of a healthy outcome. As for the schools, last I recall teachers are not social workers/psychologists/psychiatrists.

But if you really want to know what I think specifically about underclass people, a big portion of them are plain scum and I refuse to allow liberal/leftist propaganda guilt trip me into being dragged down into the criminal cesspool that swallows up so many idiots who have poor judgment.

All of your negative experiences are coming from your dealings with YOUR OWN FAMILY. How many successful black people "outside of your family" do you have in your circle right now? I bet you don't have 3 good friends that are of your own race.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
All of your negative experiences are coming from your dealings with YOUR OWN FAMILY. How many successful black people "outside of your family" do you have in your circle right now? I bet you don't have 3 good friends that are of your own race.
Why would I prefer to be around my own "race" and deal with people if they are going to behave as some of my relatives did (crimes that may include MURDER)? I'd much rather be with law abiding people of any race, and I don't specifically count people as this or that.

And no, not all of my negative experiences came from my own FAMILY. Suffice to say I've known other "minorities" like that. That doesn't mean that I don't know successful or professional minorities, as I certainly do. It does mean I am not acting as a social worker/welfare case worker/Mother Teresa figure for people who are SCUM of any race.

I owe Blacks no more loyalty than I owe any other human being.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Why would I prefer to be around my own "race" and deal with people if they are going to behave as some of my relatives did (crimes that may include MURDER)? I'd much rather be with law abiding people of any race, and I don't specifically count people as this or that.
Thank you for answering my question. I have all the information I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.