Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:59 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,142,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltNYC View Post
I didn't read past this as if your thesis were true about the north-south industrial/agrarian dynamic leading to the war then why didn't southern states secede when Calhoun wanted to in 1832? All the conditions were there minus the slavery component which was much more of an issue by 1860. The south's seccesion was a gamble on their part to keep slavery hence it was codified in the constitution of the CSA. The Civil War was over slavery and state's rights but if it were just about state's rights then the south would have seceded in 1832, which they didn't.
America wanted to abolish African slavery when they declared Independence from England, Patriot Patrick Henry (a Virginian and slave-owner in his own right) made a moving speech that ended with:

"...is life so dear, or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Unfortunately, a few of the colonies would not sign off on the declaration (one being South Carolina) because of it including the abolishment of African slavery, and they decided it was more important to present France and other European countries with a united front, and it was removed from the document.

I guess the wealthy merchants of Europe didnt care either, as they helped fund the Revolt regardless of, and not insisting that, the abolishment of slavery be included.

Change doesnt happen without the wealthy wanting it for whatever reason, I dont think. *shrugs*

Considering that the first slave auction in the US took place in South Carolina, and that bidding started at a mere 1500 pounds, you can bet poor Southerners were NOT sending their sons to die over whether the wealthy could keep their slaves or not, lol. They had children to work their small farms, and/or other business for them.

To put the auction into perspective, a normal person with 1500 pounds at that time would have to decide whether they wanted to live modestly but comfortably off that sum for the rest of their lives work-free, or go buy somebody.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 03-30-2014 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: spelling and grammar

Old 03-30-2014, 11:02 AM

75 posts, read 111,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
America wanted to abolish African slavery when they declared Independence from England, Patriot Patrick Henry (a Virginian and slave-owner in his own right) made a moving speech that ended with:

"...is life so dear, or peace so sweet and to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Unfortunately, a few of the colonies would not sign off on the declaration (one being South Carolina) because of it including the abloishment of African slavery, and they decided it was more important to present France and other European countries with a united front, and it was removed from the document.
Slavery would have surely been abolished by the early 1800's at the latest if there were no invention of the cotton gin in 1793. I wish that were never invented as we all now pay the costs of the few white southerners who held slaves.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:27 AM

13,443 posts, read 15,427,144 times
Quote:
Thanks for realizing I can be humorous. Your inane and trite thoughts on genetics are politically correct and therefore liberal by nature. You're caught up in a matrix like politically correct world so I'm not going to waste my time with your easily disproven theories as they have been debunked by James Watson, Murray and many others.

No one stated that nurture is not an important component to human development but nature in the form of genetics and IQ are more predictive of group achievement. When we bring up Hispanic or Latino we typically mean mestizos (mixed European-Indian, even some black) or indio (native American) types but you are correct in that white Europeans are also mixed in there.

My theories and observations are closer to what the reality we see play out in the everyday world. Therefore how can your theories be more correct? You live in a magical rainbow unicorn land. Congratulations.
If there is anything "inane" it's your posts, dude. I love how you try to spice up your warmed over/re-tread garbage with typical Net Tough Guy pathetic insults. Grow up, please. It doesn't surprise me in the least that you wouldn't "waste your time" disproving what I said. That would require you to actually do some research vs. barfing up the same stuff over and over again. Too much work on your part, I'd suppose. Again, just because I don't subscribe to your mindset doesn't reveal any political leanings on my part. Your need to flog the eugenics horse to death looks like insecurity to me.

I'll take my "magical rainbow unicorn land" any day of the week, thanks! I'd rather live in that land than be a close minded, thick-headed, numbnut. Just sayin'.

Now watch you respond telling me how my post is this, and I'm that. Your thinking is right, and I'm deluded. Yeah, I know.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:52 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,142,668 times
Quote:
Slavery would have surely been abolished by the early 1800's at the latest if there were no invention of the cotton gin in 1793. I wish that were never invented as we all now pay the costs of the few white southerners who held slaves.
At first Cherokees, and other Natives were sent to the West Indies as slaves. But, that didnt work out, because they would easily escape and make their way back to their tribes. Unlike the colonials, they knew the terrain very well. They could run back and forth all the way up to Canada and back, so getting back to the southern US from the West Indies was certainly no big deal.

It wasnt just wealthy white Southerners that owned slaves. (Look into the history of places like Louisiana on wealthy blacks that owned slaves.) Many had marriages with Indian tribes, most notably "The Five Civilized Tribes" in the South, in order to survive the early years of colonization. The Native populations certainly out-numbered them greatly, and diplomacy was the only successful course they could really take, and remain alive to prosper.

Some mixed bloods even went as far as to become official Americans of Rank, like Governors and the like. Those tribes freed the African slaves they owned before they were forced to march on the Trail of Tears, 30 years before the Civil War. Those free-cherokees and others were allowed to leave or assimulate into the tribe. Interestingly enough, Stand Watie (Cherokee) was the last Confederate General to surrender after the Civil War had ended. Whatever he had been fighting for, it wasnt to keep his slaves.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'll take my "magical rainbow unicorn land" any day of the week, thanks! I'd rather live in that land than be a close minded, thick-headed, numbnut. Just sayin'.
TL, DR but anyhow you do live in a delusional universe since people like you will still be pondering the same questions in 20, 50, and 100 years. Why can't these groups achieve? That's if this society even makes it that long with the type of magical thinking people like you have subjected this nation to since the 1960's.

The brainwashed lemmings always state they are tolerant and open minded when they simply parrot opinions the Frankfurt school crafted for them a long time ago. It's not as if the people who oppose the fallacies spread by the universities, the media, and government would be the open minded people right? Enjoy being willfully ignorant.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
TL, DR but anyhow you do live in a delusional universe since people like you will still be pondering the same questions in 20, 50, and 100 years. Why can't these groups achieve? That's if this society even makes it that long with the type of magical thinking people like you have subjected this nation to since the 1960's.

The brainwashed lemmings always state they are tolerant and open minded when they simply parrot opinions the Frankfurt school crafted for them a long time ago. It's not as if the people who oppose the fallacies spread by the universities, the media, and government would be the open minded people right? Enjoy being willfully ignorant.
Oh i know you read my post. and of course you had to respond. Do you have any real thought process of your own or do you wing it? You have yet to conclusively prove anything, instead regurgitating stuff that has been and will be debated for eons. Thank you, I enjoy everything about my life and my place in the world. You calling me ignorant because I think your beliefs are horse**** and you haven't anything either original or ground breaking to say, makes for fun times.

Kthx for the laffs. Good day.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Oh i know you read my post. and of course you had to respond. Do you have any real thought process of your own or do you wing it? You have yet to conclusively prove anything, instead regurgitating stuff that has been and will be debated for eons. Thank you, I enjoy everything about my life and my place in the world. You calling me ignorant because I think your beliefs are horse**** and you haven't anything either original or ground breaking to say, makes for fun times.

Kthx for the laffs. Good day.
I didn't read the post. I glanced over some of it.

I didn't even read past the second sentence and didn't have to respond. I just felt like it since it would annoy you. Glad it did.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I didn't read the post. I glanced over some of it.

I didn't even read past the second sentence and didn't have to respond. I just felt like it since it would annoy you. Glad it did.
Yeah suuuure, bucko. Annoy me? Again did your superior genes give you powers to infer that from words? Don't flatter yourself. I'm actually smiling.

Now go ahead and respond again.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah suuuure, bucko. Annoy me? Again did your superior genes give you powers to infer that from words? Don't flatter yourself. I'm actually smiling.

Now go ahead and respond again.
Sorry you're upset. I never stated I had superior genes as I don't know nor care about your genetic background. Thanks for allowing me to respond.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:37 PM

158 posts, read 332,365 times
Is there not some level of cultural bias imbedded within IQ tests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City