Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

So Bill Bratton is going to crack down on panhandlers on the train, along with those street performers who don't have permits to perform in the system (you can only legally perform in a station if you're permitted to do so). If they're going this far they should ticket those who litter as well. If people didn't litter the subway system would be a lot cleaner.

Bill Bratton to kick off a War on Showtime :: Second Ave. Sagas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
It looks like he had an agenda after all,considering that only 2 weeks ago he unwittingly admitted that he wasn't familiar at all with the subways when he announced that he was going to take a few subway rides to familiarize himself.So,after taking a few subway rides,this is what he has decided needs cracking down on ?

I have mixed feelings about "Showtime." Sometimes I find them very annoying and sometimes I am very amused/entertained.At least the performers are finding a way to support themselves.If they are all gone,I think I might feel like another slice of NY has been lost.

Most importantly,I think there are a lot of other,more serious QOL issues that Bratton should be tackling first if he is looking for things to crack down on.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It looks like he had an agenda after all,considering that only 2 weeks ago he unwittingly admitted that he wasn't familiar at all with the subways when he announced that he was going to take a few subway rides to familiarize himself.So,after taking a few subway rides,this is what he has decided needs cracking down on ?
Bratton was the commissioner of the Transit Police Department before it merged with the NYPD, and before he was NYPD commissioner the first time around. He created COMPSTAT as Transit commish. His performance there was the genesis of his rise to the top of the United States law enforcement profession.

He's VERY familiar with the subway system. He may have said he's not familiar with the current situation, but he is certainly familiar with the system.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
As a constant complainer about NYC SHOWTIME is low on my list as long as it stays in the subways. I must admit I've caught myself grinning a few times...but NO I don't give money.

The city might as well be stripped completely of it's old self. Anything left is obviously a nuisance to the new school.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
One of my favorites was a couple of black teenage kids. Wore baseball caps, loose t-shirts, sneakers and low hanging jeans. They set up a couple of speakers and the straphangers thought they knew what was coming. Then one of them pulled out an electric violin and played Vivaldi and Strauss while the other collected money with his cap. Believe they got a lot of change that day.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
One of my favorites ... pulled out an electric violin and played Vivaldi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z04g_UhIPn8

Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

I have mixed feelings about "Showtime." Sometimes I find them very annoying and sometimes I am very amused/entertained.At least the performers are finding a way to support themselves.If they are all gone,I think I might feel like another slice of NY has been lost.

Most importantly,I think there are a lot of other,more serious QOL issues that Bratton should be tackling first if he is looking for things to crack down on.
I don't have a problem with the showtime crew.

When it comes to these performers people should be really wise when being generous with their money. if they decide to support.

I just don't think this issue is really that important.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Bratton was the commissioner of the Transit Police Department before it merged with the NYPD, and before he was NYPD commissioner the first time around. He created COMPSTAT as Transit commish. His performance there was the genesis of his rise to the top of the United States law enforcement profession.

He's VERY familiar with the subway system. He may have said he's not familiar with the current situation, but he is certainly familiar with the system.
We'll,I'd rather he crack down on masturbating perverts and phone thieves than the "Showtime" people.I think it's really weird he thinks "Showtime" of all things is such a scourge that he needs to launch a public campaign.

I guess he wants to be remembered in the history books as the commissioner who got rid of subway performers.That will be quite a legacy.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Nooo! I actually like some of the performers, aside from the Showtime people

Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So Bill Bratton is going to crack down on panhandlers on the train, along with those street performers who don't have permits to perform in the system (you can only legally perform in a station if you're permitted to do so). If they're going this far they should ticket those who litter as well. If people didn't litter the subway system would be a lot cleaner.

Bill Bratton to kick off a War on Showtime :: Second Ave. Sagas
The NYPD war against panhandlers and freelance entertainers is nothing new. Before you have hipsters who sing Kumbiya on inside of Union Square subway station, 50 years ago you had the precursor to hipsters known as beatniks. In this video you see NYPD kicking out Beatniks and other artists out of Washington Square park because "beatniks did not have a permit to gather and play music in the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEvKe2WLumI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: