Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I didn't know CUNY ended open admissions during the 90s. I thought they ended open admissions as of recently. When I was in enrolled as a CUNY student, I felt that some students should not be there.

I don't think its a sensitive issue. The bar has to be raised to some extent. CUNY used to be a symbol of public higher learning, but as of lately that symbol is a shadow of its former self. Hopefully the CUNY system can rise to prominence again.

I don't blame CUNY for implementing changes. I think these changes are necessary due to the increased competitive nature of this city, but also this country and the whole world at this very moment. If CUNY wants to compete, they need to spit out better graduates, but in order to have better graduates they must entire CUNY well thought and educated.

I Cant disagree with you here about John Jay. I have been to multiple CUNY campuses over the years and to be honest City College and Lehman seemed to look nice, but also offered an almost college like experience. The campuses I did not like were Baruch and John Jay, both campuses felt like an high school experience and not college. Seriously these Manhattan CUNY campuses should have like a rooftop green lawn of some sort for students. But overall I think the best school in the whole entire CUNY system by far is Baruch and or Hunter College. But John Jay did feel high school like and did not have that college like experience. Also their buildings that classes were held are disgusting. I know that a new building was built on 11th avenue which is supposed to replace the crappy building on 59th st. The only upside about KCC is that its right by the Beach.
Have you been or seen the new buildings built for john jay over the the year or 2? If you haven't you should def take a visit. The new building is brand new from scratch with a very luxurious class room environment with all of the latest equipment and technology (every other day a new tv show or show in general is filming in the new building). The best feature of course is that they have tech equipped tables that come with outlets ( I hate the outdated chairs with the min desk covered in graffiti). Also is had a open deck sitting area on the 2nd floor roof which gives you beautiful views of the city around you and feels awesome on nice days.

John jay knows how poor it's environment use to be which is why all their money is going into constructing new facilities. So far it's been a success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I disagree mainly because john jay is one of the more accredited schools in the world when it comes to criminal justice/criminology. Baruch college is also a very well respected business school, and city college is a well respected engineering school.

My friend actually works in Goldman Sachs with only a cuny bachelors degree. I also have another friend who has a great career in finance which he only minored before graduating from City college.

I think it depends on the school really.
There are many exceptions, and there are lots of smart kids that go to CUNYs as well. But no one can deny that it's an uphill battle to get a job after graduating irrespective of the current economic situation that we're in right now. Most big banks are elitist institutions that favor certain schools and CUNYs certainly aren't on the recruitment list except Baruch for backoffice positions. But I guess the same can be said about 90% of all other schools. I know Ivy league grads with master degrees working mid office jobs so from that perspective it's not bad at all.

I do hope that the city's public schools can move in a positive direction going forward since it's a reflection of all of us that live here. To me it seems like CUNYs as a whole never took full advantage of their proximity to all the great companies in the city. Someone needs to take a look at what can be done about that.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Kings borough is one of the best community colleges in the country. Not only that but their very helpful and enjoys helping students achieve dean list status.

City tech is a awful school. I just started going to John Jay two semesters ago, they have upgraded with all the new buildings and new majors plus their career department has good ratings for students who look for jobs, which is the most important thing.
John Jay is a decent school. I was happy that jj opened up a new building. The other buildings such as the N building was horrible and they have another building that hosts classes in a condo which is a far walk from 59th. I hope the new building centralizes things. john jay is not easy either. One thing I remember about John Jay is that when I went most or a good portion of the students were not from NYC but were from the suburbs. Also John Jay was a sausage fest. Baruch has plenty of Asians. Lehman has plenty of women, great if your looking to get layed. I will be visiting John Jay next month for an alumni meeting as well as donating an small endowment.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:31 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
John Jay is a decent school. I was happy that jj opened up a new building. The other buildings such as the N building was horrible and they have another building that hosts classes in a condo which is a far walk from 59th. I hope the new building centralizes things. john jay is not easy either. One thing I remember about John Jay is that when I went most or a good portion of the students were not from NYC but were from the suburbs. Also John Jay was a sausage fest. Baruch has plenty of Asians. Lehman has plenty of women, great if your looking to get layed. I will be visiting John Jay next month for an alumni meeting as well as donating an small endowment.
That's funny lol because I don't consider it a sausage fest. The thing is I use to take engineering in city tech in the V building next to the manhattan bridge. In that whole building there was only 3 female students. Every class I had only had 1 female or none at all. I guess going through that has made assume every school has loads of women.

The building your talking about is the Westport building on 59th. Most people hate it because your most likely going to end up going to class late if you have to walk to the new building. The N building is horrible but it's funny because my professor told me when Hell's Kitchen use to be dangerous, the N building was everyone's favorite place to be.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:00 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
I didn't know CUNY ended open admissions during the 90s. I thought they ended open admissions as of recently. When I was in enrolled as a CUNY student, I felt that some students should not be there.

I don't think its a sensitive issue. The bar has to be raised to some extent. CUNY used to be a symbol of public higher learning, but as of lately that symbol is a shadow of its former self. Hopefully the CUNY system can rise to prominence again.

I don't blame CUNY for implementing changes. I think these changes are necessary due to the increased competitive nature of this city, but also this country and the whole world at this very moment. If CUNY wants to compete, they need to spit out better graduates, but in order to have better graduates they must entire CUNY well thought and educated.

I Cant disagree with you here about John Jay. I have been to multiple CUNY campuses over the years and to be honest City College and Lehman seemed to look nice, but also offered an almost college like experience. The campuses I did not like were Baruch and John Jay, both campuses felt like an high school experience and not college. Seriously these Manhattan CUNY campuses should have like a rooftop green lawn of some sort for students. But overall I think the best school in the whole entire CUNY system by far is Baruch and or Hunter College. But John Jay did feel high school like and did not have that college like experience. Also their buildings that classes were held are disgusting. I know that a new building was built on 11th avenue which is supposed to replace the crappy building on 59th st. The only upside about KCC is that its right by the Beach.
CUNY had no choice but to act as the current open admissions policy was pretty much a failure. Graduation rates measured by number of students doing so on time were appalling for many campuses including the four year. You also had very high numbers of students in both four and two year colleges requiring so much remediation it could take one or two years before they were even ready for 100 level classes. Many simply gave up and dropped out, others just got "lost" and ended up using up their financial aid with nothing to show.

Then there was the fact as noted elsewhere in this thread CUNY grads were often not cutting it with employers. They came in waving those degrees, honors, awards, etc... but couldn't walk the walk so to speak.

Back in my day (1980's) your high school average alone is what determined if you went to a four year or community college. This was unless you wanted to go to a community college for a specific degree such as nursing. You needed only a 80% or above high school average to get into the four year colleges. Considering grade inflation and other factors you had many students coming out of NYC high schools with such an average but were totally not prepared for college level work Everyone still took the CUNY assessment exams (math and English), which were required before you could take a 100 level English or math class or equal. That is if you were a nursing major and the only math required for your degree was a medical dosage calculation class you still needed to have passed the math assessment class in order to register.

The fun part was back then registration was all done on paper (usually spread over several days) and it was often very easy to register for a class even if you didn't have the proper prerequisite. When I took finite math for my second degree things had changed. Our professor told us point blank on day one that he was *NOT* going to teach algebra. Students that had not passed the assessment exam and or taken the required remedial courses would be on their own. By mid-terms he got a letter from the math department which was read to all students. It was a list of those for who the department had no record of passing placement score or remedial work. They were to report at once to department chair's office.

Know several persons who went to Baruch for accounting and have done well for themselves. Know plenty of nurses out of CUNY programs with equal results. However it must be said by and large a good portion of undergrads from that system are not considered for top tier jobs.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:05 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
CUNY had no choice but to act as the current open admissions policy was pretty much a failure. Graduation rates measured by number of students doing so on time were appalling for many campuses including the four year. You also had very high numbers of students in both four and two year colleges requiring so much remediation it could take one or two years before they were even ready for 100 level classes. Many simply gave up and dropped out, others just got "lost" and ended up using up their financial aid with nothing to show.

Then there was the fact as noted elsewhere in this thread CUNY grads were often not cutting it with employers. They came in waving those degrees, honors, awards, etc... but couldn't walk the walk so to speak.

Back in my day (1980's) your high school average alone is what determined if you went to a four year or community college. This was unless you wanted to go to a community college for a specific degree such as nursing. You needed only a 80% or above high school average to get into the four year colleges. Considering grade inflation and other factors you had many students coming out of NYC high schools with such an average but were totally not prepared for college level work Everyone still took the CUNY assessment exams (math and English), which were required before you could take a 100 level English or math class or equal. That is if you were a nursing major and the only math required for your degree was a medical dosage calculation class you still needed to have passed the math assessment class in order to register.

The fun part was back then registration was all done on paper (usually spread over several days) and it was often very easy to register for a class even if you didn't have the proper prerequisite. When I took finite math for my second degree things had changed. Our professor told us point blank on day one that he was *NOT* going to teach algebra. Students that had not passed the assessment exam and or taken the required remedial courses would be on their own. By mid-terms he got a letter from the math department which was read to all students. It was a list of those for who the department had no record of passing placement score or remedial work. They were to report at once to department chair's office.

Know several persons who went to Baruch for accounting and have done well for themselves. Know plenty of nurses out of CUNY programs with equal results. However it must be said by and large a good portion of undergrads from that system are not considered for top tier jobs.
Plenty of graduates from CUNY to even non CUNY are not considered for top tier jobs these days! Those jobs are reserved for a select few individuals who graduated from big name universities such as Ivy leagues, other big name private colleges like Stan Ford, NYU, Georgetown and so on. I know a Transplant woman who majored in English from Duke University which is a top school and guess what she lost her job and is still unemployed to this day, thankfully she is very attractive and she gets guys to take her out for free meal for sex as well as parents who slip her money every now and then. I even knew of a guy who graduated from Manhattan college and works as a bank teller, WTF?

This economy sucks for college grads due to the fact that the nations economy is changing into a technical job market and no longer a service and information market where wages have either stalled or declined over the years. Even those tech stem jobs that pay good can also face the chopping block due to cheaper labor of hiring Asians with H1B visa or outsource the whole entire tech firm to Bangalore India or South Korea. Right now I have three options to consider while I'm still young and energetic, its either I go for my Masters, jump aboard the "tech scene" and last move out of NYC. I know plenty of CUNY grads who do well with employment outside of NYC than they do within NYC. Most of my friends who atteneded CUNY found jobs outside of NYC and decent jobs too at fact. However employers in NYC know all to well how crappy CUNY is and will not hire a pool of graduates from CUNY with the exception of Baruch.

For those that attend CUNY all I can say is that Baruch and Brooklyn college is good for business, finance or anything related to economics. Lehman and Hunter is good for health for like anyone who wants to become a doctor, nurse or health technician. John Jay is only good for those who want to enter law enforcement, or work as some sort of public official or civil employee. City College has a great Masters Program especially for those who want to pursue Education as a major in order to become a teacher. I can not stress any other CUNY schools. Whether CUNY or not most grads will end up with jobs not related to their majors!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-14-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
That's funny lol because I don't consider it a sausage fest. The thing is I use to take engineering in city tech in the V building next to the manhattan bridge. In that whole building there was only 3 female students. Every class I had only had 1 female or none at all. I guess going through that has made assume every school has loads of women.

The building your talking about is the Westport building on 59th. Most people hate it because your most likely going to end up going to class late if you have to walk to the new building. The N building is horrible but it's funny because my professor told me when Hell's Kitchen use to be dangerous, the N building was everyone's favorite place to be.
Maybe it was just your major - plenty of girls were undergrad for architecture when I was in Voorhies - that building was always cold!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-15-2014, 04:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Kings borough is one of the best community colleges in the country. Not only that but their staff is very helpful and enjoys helping students achieve dean list status.

City tech is a awful school. I just started going to John Jay two semesters ago, they have upgraded with all the new buildings and new majors plus their career department has good ratings for students who look for jobs, which is the most important thing.
I don't know anyone who went to City Tech and liked it. KCC---I'm not sure what to say about it. It has a beautiful campus but some of the students there---I'm not sure how they graduated from JHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The nursing program in Hunter is far more competitive than Columbia/NYU so much so I know people who transferred out of Hunter and into those schools when they weren't accepted into Hunter's program. People aren't stupid---either pay less than 5K/year for your RN or pay 50K/year for your RN and make the same pay upon graduation so I think that's pretty standard.

Most people are NOT considered for top tier jobs, especially upon graduating, from any school across the country. I know quite a few people who graduated from Baruch and they have really worked their way up. More likely than not, "top tier" jobs require lots of connections that CUNY kids don't have, which I would say would be more of a reason than anything else. But once you're in the field and you're working, it becomes easier.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:42 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I don't know anyone who went to City Tech and liked it. KCC---I'm not sure what to say about it. It has a beautiful campus but some of the students there---I'm not sure how they graduated from JHS.

The nursing program in Hunter is far more competitive than Columbia/NYU so much so I know people who transferred out of Hunter and into those schools when they weren't accepted into Hunter's program. People aren't stupid---either pay less than 5K/year for your RN or pay 50K/year for your RN and make the same pay upon graduation so I think that's pretty standard.

Most people are NOT considered for top tier jobs, especially upon graduating, from any school across the country. I know quite a few people who graduated from Baruch and they have really worked their way up. More likely than not, "top tier" jobs require lots of connections that CUNY kids don't have, which I would say would be more of a reason than anything else. But once you're in the field and you're working, it becomes easier.
Hunter-Bellevue only admits 100 students into their nursing program, and half of those are "second degree" RN students which means there is only 50 slots for undergraduates. NYU OTOH takes huge classes into it's nursing program (something around 300 IIRC). Columbia shut down their undergraduate nursing school years ago. It is now only advanced degree (Masters, doctorate, etc...) though they do offer a combined BSN/MSN program for those that have a degree in another field besides nursing. It is *NOT* something for the faint hearted.

Hunter is highly competitive because the nursing program must deal with the real; they are part of CUNY and thus funding is limited. When you only charge about ten grand per year things like that happen. NYU OTOH and Colombia for that matter are totally different stories.

Yes, many pre-nursing students at HB transfer out to other programs. People just get tired of being wait listed semester after semester. For nursing students it means they are stuck cooling their jets in a holding pattern for anywhere from one semester to a year or even years.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:48 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Is there some sort of master list for best CUNY institute programs or is the best option to just comb through US news reports? I'm thinking about just doing some part-time at CUNY and taking some random classes or doing a part-time graduate program in something or other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City