Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:02 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Maybe it was just your major - plenty of girls were undergrad for architecture when I was in Voorhies - that building was always cold!
I majored in civil engineering. Maybe your right but even in my architecture course it was limited. Funny thing though was the prettiest girl in the whole school was in the V building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 03:02 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,086 times
I'm a Hunter graduate and I do just fine in NYC.

I do want to point out one thing- Yes, Hunter has a well-known nursing program. But did you guys know that Lehman also has a nursing program that offers both a traditional undergrad route and an accelerated second degree route? Look at the stats for the NCLEX, which is the national licensing board test for RNs. In 2011 Hunter had a pass rate of 75.8%. Lehman's pass rate was 90.0%. I think in general we're quick to pass judgement on certain schools based on word of mouth... With the CUNY schools you really need to compare them based on the specific program you're interested in rather than on the school as a whole.

And trust me- they ALL have their problems. Dealing with Hunter's administration was like a full time job.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:30 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post

I do want to point out one thing- Yes, Hunter has a well-known nursing program. But did you guys know that Lehman also has a nursing program that offers both a traditional undergrad route and an accelerated second degree route? Look at the stats for the NCLEX, which is the national licensing board test for RNs. In 2011 Hunter had a pass rate of 75.8%. Lehman's pass rate was 90.0%. I think in general we're quick to pass judgement on certain schools based on word of mouth... With the CUNY schools you really need to compare them based on the specific program you're interested in rather than on the school as a whole.

And trust me- they ALL have their problems. Dealing with Hunter's administration was like a full time job.
Yes, Lehman has the only other undergraduate BSN and second degree nursing degree in the CUNY four year college system. City College had a nursing program but it was ended back in the 1980's or 1970's.

That 75.5% pass rate for the NCLEX in 2011 was a low point for Hunter-Bellevue, otherwise they have remained solidly in the 90th percentile or with perhaps one year off by .5 points. Their passing rate for the last class was 95%. Lehman OTOH only reached 90% once (in 2011) in the past five years. Otherwise their pass rates are in the low to middle 80th percentiles. Aside from 2011, Hunter-Bellevue beats Lehman year after year.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
Sounds like the current Baruch formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I know how you can fix that. Raise the standards for admission, build dorms, and hire a top marketing/education consultancy firm in India/China to try to attract overseas students. That'll fill the coffers, boost the SAT score stats as well as graduation rates. Then use the foreign students' funds to give full scholarships to native top performers.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:47 AM

231 posts, read 401,908 times
College of Staten Island is like New Dorp High School version 2, plus some Chinese Brooklyn College rejects that bring dishonor to their family lol. The s93 from Bay Ridge to CSI is filled with kids that you look at and wonder "how did you finish 8th grade?"

Old 04-15-2015, 06:05 PM

292 posts, read 702,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I disagree mainly because john jay is one of the more accredited schools in the world when it comes to criminal justice/criminology. Baruch college is also a very well respected business school, and city college is a well respected engineering school.

My friend actually works in Goldman Sachs with only a cuny bachelors degree. I also have another friend who has a great career in finance which he only minored before graduating from City college.

I think it depends on the school really.
I am a CUNY grad (Baruch in the house, lol) and honestly, it's what my parents' could've afford until I was able to obtain two part-time jobs and pay my own tuition. The colleges are not Ivy League material but some people don't have choices. If you are a serious student, focused and get things done, you will be fine. I went to Baruch, I must say I didn't have the greatest college experience, probably because I was working most of the time and attended classes as well, so I didn't have time to socialize during club hours every Thursday from 12 to 2. It's a commuter college and it's like that for a reason; people had to work to pay for their tuition and survive. If I went away to college, I probably would've had a different experience, maybe more exciting and different. But things happen for reason.

If I could do it again, I would've taken many civil service exams while attending Baruch and probably would've been either a P.O, a Port Authority P.O., Staff Analyst or another kind of analyst. LOL.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:05 PM

65 posts, read 179,157 times
Didn't read the entire thread but Hunter is the best IMO. I did grad work at Hunter until I moved to Boston, which does not have a public university system comparable to CUNY. (Little to no evening classes at UMass Boston. Also, much more $$$). Quality education for about $1000 per grad course at Hunter. Used a tuition payment plan over the semester and had no student loan debt. The roster of profs who have taught at Hunter can read like a Who's Who re: their fields. (Rosalind Krauss, Robert Motherwell, and Helen Frankenthaler re: art, just to name a few.) The halls can feel more like a high school than a college mainly b/c of the undergrads. Lots of raucousness when walking around between classes although never any trouble. The grad students are pretty serious. I took a couple of undergrad science courses (Chem & Bio) too - well taught.

I would vote Lehman the worst. Tried to register for a class there once years ago as a non-matriculated student - WTF? It wasn't a good experience.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:31 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post

^This. Good advice.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 PM

65 posts, read 179,157 times
Yeah, the health sciences and trade type programs definitely vary by school, I'm sure.

I've never wanted to be a nurse, so I can't speak to any of this (even though they certainly make decent money). The only thing I know about the Hunter RN programs is that they're on the health sci campus over with Bellevue and everything. Also, the only info I'm finding on NYS' website re: NCLEX results is from 2012 - 95.9% of Hunter students passed v. 88.1% of Lehman's?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:34 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,120 times
City Tech grad here (my moniker nyctc is short for the old name of the school, NYC Technical College, it is now NYC College of Technology)

I liked the school, and almost all my professors were really great. But I found my degree carried little weight when applying to grad school.

You can go on to success in the trade-school type programs there (at heart City Tech really is a vocational school), but the other stuff is mostly high school level.

Last edited by nyctc7; 04-25-2015 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City