Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 03:59 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why are you laughing? So what I made a mistake.

It was actually years 1999 and 2000 as if that makes it much better. It was still almost 20 years ago!!

FDNY

Yes, I know they were court ordered to call them, but still. There were no other younger, stronger more viable minority men that could have been added, along with these men who will be collecting SSI in a few years?

No one should be ordered to make the academy based on race! That is racism , that is The problem, if they can't make it on their own merit, then they don't get the job, good riddance. I don't care if they're black purple green white or blue, I'm sure when your life is danger you wouldn't want the guy who wasn't qualified but got through cause of the color of his skin coming to save you over the white man who passed all the pre requisites to getting appointed to the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 04:00 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Why are you laughing? So what I made a mistake.

It was actually years 1999 and 2000 as if that makes it much better. It was still almost 20 years ago!!

FDNY

Yes, I know they were court ordered to call them, but still. There were no other younger, stronger more viable minority men that could have been added, along with these old geezers?

You confuse me. You agree that something should be done about this "injustice" of "intentionally discriminatory hiring", yet are adverse to the lawsuit and what they've done to "rectify" it. What in your opinion should be done? Simply quota hiring, as has been done in the other major cities that have increased their diversity? (yes that is how it's been done)

Old 03-14-2014, 04:01 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Have you noticed that none of those other ethnicities have ever even spoken up or mentioned the fact that their numbers are so low in the ranks, never mind brought up a lawsuit? Even though their numbers are faaaaar lower than black or hispanics? What do you think about that? Why might you think that is? I'm not gonna answer that for you. In fact, it's indirectly been answered in previous posts already.
Black and hispanics were in this city long before these other nationalities came here. They've been fighting and complaining about minorities not being hired since the early 80s.

Like I said, there should be a massive firing of the old pitiful men that run the department, so that the younger generation can move into the 21st century.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
You confuse me. You agree that something should be done about this "injustice" of "intentionally discriminatory hiring", yet are adverse to the lawsuit and what they've done to "rectify" it. What in your opinion should be done? Simply quota hiring, as has been done in the other major cities that have increased their diversity? (yes that is how it's been done)
They never should have called those old guys off the list and you know it.

What good was that supposed to serve?

Of course many of them failed or dropped out!!! They're all in their FORTIES AND OVER!!!

Unless, you're a professional athlete that continues to train everyday, then no way could you be a contender for this so-called "rigorous" training at their ages. They were probably fat, overweight bloated men.

It's disgusting how the FDNY tries to play like they "tried" to do the "right" thing. Gimme a break!

Get rid of the old men that run the organization and you'll see a vast improvement in minority hires.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Black and hispanics were in this city long before these other nationalities came here. They've been fighting and complaining about minorities not being hired since the early 80s.

Like I said, there should be a massive firing of the old pitiful men that run the department, so that the younger generation can move into the 21st century.
Why did you bother bringing up those other ethnicities then? You're kinda talkin in circles here.

Why should there be a "massive firing of the old pitiful men that run the department"? Because why exactly? And remember, we've already addressed your gross misunderstand of the civil service process...

Old 03-14-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
They never should have called those old guys off the list and you know it.

What good was that supposed to serve?

Of course many of them failed or dropped out!!! They all in their FORTIES AND OVER!!!

Unless, you're a professional athlete that continues to train everyday, then no way could you be a contender for this so-called "rigorous" training.

It's disgusting how the FDNY tries to play like they "tried" to do the "right" thing. Gimme a break!

Get rid of the old men that run the organization and you'll see a vast improvement in minority hires.

Lol and how would getting rid of some old men vastly improve minority hires, more than what they're doing right now? Explain as well as you can. I'm going for a run, but I'll check back in a bit I guess. Otherwise, I'm sure mikfleye3 will set you straight on all this (for now at least....you tend not to understand in the long run it seems)

Old 03-14-2014, 04:10 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,591 times
Quote:
Lol and how would getting rid of some old men vastly improve minority hires, more than what they're doing right now? Explain as well as you can. I'm going for a run, but I'll check back in a bit I guess. Otherwise, I'm sure mikfleye3 will set you straight on all this (for now at least....you tend not to understand in the long run it seems)
I'm going to dinner, be back later lol

Old 03-14-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Why did you bother bringing up those other ethnicities then? You're kinda talkin in circles here.

Why should there be a "massive firing of the old pitiful men that run the department"? Because why exactly? And remember, we've already addressed your gross misunderstand of the civil service process...
Because they're stuck in an insulated time warp that's why.

They probably have no black or hispanic friends and believe whatever stereotypes that have been written or said about them.

If you're gonna be old, then be open to "new ideas", if not, then get lost. No one wants you around anymore.

I'm not just referring to old white men either, but ALL older people who can't "let go" and "move on" from all backgrounds.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:04 PM

You're still not answering the question

Old 03-14-2014, 06:26 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This should be shocking only to those who keep their heads buried in the sand..

Former city fire commissioner blasts FDNY for culture of racism, homophobia ahead of testifying at civil trial - NY Daily News

Some of the article below:

The bravest got a scathing rebuke — accused of everything from racism to anti-Semitism — from a man who used to be one of its own. Thomas Von Essen, the city’s former fire commissioner, told a rapt audience in February that firefighters were mired in a “culture of incivility.” All manner of slurs were routinely tossed about inside neighborhood firehouses, said Von Essen, who served 51/2 years under Rudy Giuliani.

“The talk routinely gets rough and the biases and intolerances come out,” he told about two dozen guests during a recent speaking engagement at the Ferguson Library in Stamford, Conn. “It is often aimed at anyone with a darker skin, although gay-bashing, anti-Semitism and sexism get air time, too.” The shocking admission, based on his experiences with the FDNY from more than 15 years ago, comes as the 68-year-old Von Essen is expected to testify at a civil trial to determine whether the city intentionally discriminated against minority FDNY applicants."

That's pretty much how the fire department has always been and still is....you think decades of this behavior magically disappears in a few years? It's the last place in NYC which still thinks it is 1965...and they are blatant and thumb their nose to NYC....and get away with it. How much longer do we have to tolerate this?
Any current FDNY on the forum by any chance?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City