Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:06 AM

25 posts, read 28,121 times

Advertisements

After reading the various threads here on the site it appears that Park Slope is the best area in Brooklyn. Every other thread talks about how dangerous the other neighborhoods are and how they lack this or that... what about Queens? I will be working in CT but would prefer to stay near the city.

I know many say that the suburbs offer a better prices but it appears that Connecticut is just as expensive as NYC. Maybe I am missing something here, but when I researched 1 and 2 bedroom they are almost dollar for dollar between CT and the Brooklyn area.

My thing is if I'm going to pay the same rent to live CT that I would pay to live in Brooklyn, then why not go ahead and move to the area where I really want to live.

That said-I think what most people are trying to convey is that CT rental properties have more space than Brooklyn because the prices are the same? I'm really torn between the two areas.

btw- my salary with guaranteed bonus is roughly $130k/yr...do you think I would be stretching my budget? Also, I am a AA single female with no kids in mid 40s. Not so sure if CT, especially Norwalk, would be diverse enough for me coming from a city like ATL.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by Luvtheeastcoast; 03-15-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 10:02 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
If you are working in CT you do not want to live in Brooklyn. Repeat. If you are working in CT you do not want to live in Brooklyn (unless you like a round-trip commute of four hours).

Stamford and Norwalk are diverse cities. Nothing to worry about.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:07 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Why in God's name would you want to commute between Brooklyn and Connecticut???

And no, being a single person pulling in $130k with no kids, you won't be stretching anything, unless you have some crazy debt or something.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,830 times
There are plenty of good, safe neighborhoods in Brooklyn but you'd have to be nuts to commute from BK to CT. If you want to be closer to NYC, why don't you check out places in Westchester?

Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
The commute from anywhere in Brooklyn to Connecticut will pretty much ruin things for you no matter how nice the neighborhood.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:22 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Agreed with the above. If you want to live in Brooklyn that badly I would honestly search for a new job in Manhattan. You will barely be in Brooklyn to enjoy it, you will be spending a lot of time at your job (9-10)and the several hours everyday commuting (3-4).

Old 03-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
If you are working in CT you do not want to live in Brooklyn. Repeat. If you are working in CT you do not want to live in Brooklyn (unless you like a round-trip commute of four hours).

Stamford and Norwalk are diverse cities. Nothing to worry about.
Okay- Thanks!

Old 03-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Why in God's name would you want to commute between Brooklyn and Connecticut???

And no, being a single person pulling in $130k with no kids, you won't be stretching anything, unless you have some crazy debt or something.
No- I do not have any major debt. The reason I took the job in CT is to get closer to NYC. My ultimate goal is work and live in NYC. CT is just a stepping stone for me until I find something closer to the city.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:36 PM

I really appreciate all of your feedback. The company is giving me one house-hunting trip, so I will be able to really see what's available in CT area. Its really hard to tell by pictures and a website. I just don't want to be bored to tears in CT like I am in Charlotte.

Again, thanks for the honest feedback.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:49 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtheeastcoast View Post
I really appreciate all of your feedback. The company is giving me one house-hunting trip, so I will be able to really see what's available in CT area. Its really hard to tell by pictures and a website. I just don't want to be bored to tears in CT like I am in Charlotte.

Again, thanks for the honest feedback.
Stamford should have a bit if life. Also look at Westchester. It would be a close commute to CT by car. You can try White Plains, parts of Yonkers (the nicer/safer parts), the nicer parts of Mt Vernon (like Fleetwood), or New Rochelle. All would be diverse and offer a bit in the way of bars and what not. Also they would be about a 30 minute train ride into midtown manhattan so you can enjoy that social life too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City