Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 4 View Post
He's speaking in generalities, clearly.

Well, New York is one of the most desirable place in the world for people with money according to multiple sources, such as real estate prices or surveys like this below. So generally, if you have money it's one of the best places in the world for most people.

City-Data is full of bitter people, broke 30something losers who still live at home looking for easy targets so they just bash the city to deflect blame/feel better about their personal failures, people who are struggling financially and are angry at the city passing them up and pricing them out. Unfortunately (for them), no matter how much people complain, New York will always be New York -- The world's capital and one of the finest cities on earth. It is what it is.
Thank you and sadly you will be attacked for defending New York.

City data is insane. Basically if you're a whiner then his site is for you. If you're a optimistic person who defends your grounds (as should -__-), then you are being a "troll".

Amazing lol.

But like I said previously. Once a whiner always a whiner. These same people will be whining about their new homes eventually.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 AM

277 posts, read 401,539 times
Quote:
Knight Frank Wealth Report Survey

Favorite Cities of Ultra-High Net Worth Individuals

City Score

1. New York
2. London
3. Hong Kong
4. Singapore
5. Paris
6. Shanghai
7. Tokyo
8. Beijing
9. Geneva
10. Zurich
11. Dubai
12. Berlin
13. Sydney
14. San Francisco
15. Vancouver

*Ultra High Net Worth Respondents were asked to choose their top 10 cities in order of priority. Cities were assigned 10 points for a top ranking, nine for second, and so on

https://www.privatebank.citibank.com...2011LowRes.pdf
New York has fallen a few places to 4th since this 2011 report, but it's still one of the heavy hitters. The point at the end of the day is that it's still a world class city and among the most sought after areas in the world.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:14 AM

277 posts, read 401,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Um yea I choose people who were actually born there over someone who showed me a pic of one day.

Yes very bright right back at you.
The only claim our photographer made was about the weather in the past few weeks. I don't appreciate his schadenfreude, but he seems to have photos posted in other forums over this time. You were the one who misinterpreted this as some general claim about the broader climate.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
He's speaking in generalities, clearly.

Well, New York is one of the most desirable place in the world for people with money according to multiple sources, such as real estate prices or surveys like this below. So generally, if you have money it's one of the best places in the world for most people.

City-Data is full of bitter people, broke 30something losers who still live at home looking for easy targets so they just bash the city to deflect blame/feel better about their personal failures, people who are struggling financially and are angry at the city passing them up and pricing them out. Unfortunately (for them), no matter how much people complain, New York will always be New York -- The world's capital and one of the finest cities on earth. It is what it is.
And it's obvious why it's one of the most desirable places for wealthy people. For starters the convenience of having pretty much everything within walking distance. It also has a world class public transportation system. For certain types of wealthy people, there are communities of people within the industry for one to interact and socialize with. This boosts career/business opportunities. This is very important in finance and media/film/tv.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I have to disagree with you here, again. Money isn't everything, especially when predicting happiness. I use myself as an example of this all the time. I'm established, have a career that I enjoy (only reason I stay), a home, bills are paid, little debt, take vacations, have two new cars, leftover money for luxuries/hobbies and strong savings habits. I've "made it" here by any measure. That said, I hate living here.

There are other subjective reasons why a person/family may not be happy in any given location besides money.
I"m talking about people who work on Wall Street, A list entertainers, executives and the like. The amenities and facilities that NYC has suits them very well. NYC is still the nation's business capital and one of the top places in the world to do business.

They are willing to pay lots of money for the convenience of NYC, especially Manhattan (and areas near Manhattan).

Take Robert De Niro. He created Tribeca Enterprises (including Tribeca Film Festival) in NYC. People from all around the world come to this festival, and after being around for just a few years, it now rivals Sundance and Cannes. De Niro's big Hollywood name helps, but so to does the location. It's why De Niro choose NYC. And people at his level of wealth don't worry about taxes. He gets what he wants.

I totally agree that NYC isn't all that for working class or even many middle class people. But it's a brand name for the wealthy.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 AM

52 posts, read 64,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
That's the problem the OP is going to have. Finding a location that suits the lifestyle that she finds desirable at a lower cost than NY. Doubt you will find that in LA or Miami. No offense but she sounds like someone that wants to have this glitzy life in paradise but economically is really meant for locations like Jacksonville or Tampa, which might be her more practical option.
Haha yeah I totally do want a nice life in paradise, because i've already managed to live it for 5 years in miami. you can live like royalty for cheap there compared to NYC. I can definitely get that in Miami if I'm willing to settle for hospitality jobs at least initially. But I think financially, LA would pretty much kill me, which sucks, because I feel like LA has jobs AND the nice life. I couldn't live in Jacksonville or Tampa because currently don't know how to drive

Old 03-17-2014, 04:46 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacxxx View Post
Haha yeah I totally do want a nice life in paradise, because i've already managed to live it for 5 years in miami. you can live like royalty for cheap there compared to NYC. I can definitely get that in Miami if I'm willing to settle for hospitality jobs at least initially. But I think financially, LA would pretty much kill me, which sucks, because I feel like LA has jobs AND the nice life. I couldn't live in Jacksonville or Tampa because currently don't know how to drive
LA is expensive, no doubt...unless you live in a not so nice area. don't count anything out until you know what kind of job you will have, income, etc. I'm waiting until I have about $20K saved to move out there...and a job.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacxxx View Post
Have you ever been in LA? There's a STIGMA against people with no driver's license. Honestly, if you have no driver's license you will not get a job in places like Los Angeles or San Diego.

All over NYC there are lots of driving schools. But before you even go there, go down to DMV. Get the test booklet that prepares you to take the written test. They may even have a pdf of it online. Study it well. Go to DMV with all your documents and take the written test. Then you can sign up for driving lessons/take the 5 hour class, and then you can take the ROAD test.

Also, if hospitality jobs worked out so well for you, you wouldn't have left Miami to begin with, would you? If you want to be able to live in expensive cities you need to come up with a sustainable career plan. Perhaps you should speak to a career counselor. A fashion degree isn't going to do much for you in most places. You might consider going back to school. You don't want to age out of the hospitality sector. If you wait too long, you'll be too old to be considered for any other kind of job. And then it will be just WalMart jobs for you.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:35 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
Nothing screams butthurt like a paranoid NYer who refuses to accept that our city may not necessarily be the greatest city in the world.

I like London. If it annoys you, then yes, I like it a lot more than New York. Get over it. Or come here and see for yourself whether or not it's the kind of city that would have an inferiority complex against NY.
I had the pleasure of visiting London in the early 90's. I was just a kid back then. We did the usual tourist stuff, wax cabinet, London Bridge, Big Ben, Picadilly Circus and Wembley Stadium. You probably know that area called Finsbury Park that place was a total dump. Wonder if the mosque is still there. Back the London was a dirty city but nothing compared to NYC. Wonder if London is going thru a similar type of gentrification and cleaning up process as NYC nowadays? If memory serves you had the olympics a few years back so i guess a little revitalization was done here and there. It was just a brief visit and like i said i was just a kid so i really cant give my personal in depth analysis of that place. I hope to visit again soon and get my fair dose of that authentic british hospitality and maybe eat a shepherds pie. All in all both NYC and London are world class cities.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I had the pleasure of visiting London in the early 90's. I was just a kid back then. We did the usual tourist stuff, wax cabinet, London Bridge, Big Ben, Picadilly Circus and Wembley Stadium. You probably know that area called Finsbury Park that place was a total dump. Wonder if the mosque is still there. Back the London was a dirty city but nothing compared to NYC. Wonder if London is going thru a similar type of gentrification and cleaning up process as NYC nowadays? If memory serves you had the olympics a few years back so i guess a little revitalization was done here and there. It was just a brief visit and like i said i was just a kid so i really cant give my personal in depth analysis of that place. I hope to visit again soon and get my fair dose of that authentic british hospitality and maybe eat a shepherds pie. All in all both NYC and London are world class cities.
London is going through heavy gentrification. Neighborhoods like Brixton which is London version of Harlem is changing as well as Notthing Hill. Google London and gentrification, you will get plenty Web links about the topic. Here is one now.

Quit the whining: More gentrification is good for London’s startup district – Quartz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City