Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2014, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Sunnyside
2,008 posts, read 4,701,641 times
Reputation: 1275

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocamlmycaml View Post
Thanks a lot for the biking information folks. That East River path looks pretty nice!

How well do they maintain the roads when the weather goes foul? I tend to give up on biking during the winter months just because the slush/ice on the side of the street is just a disaster. If you don't have a bike lane, do you usually ride the shoulder or take the center of the lane for safety?

I actually hate living alone, so I'm definitely going to try to get ahold of a roommate. Just gotta wait for more of my friends to get jobs...

EDIT: Also, what's the diversity in these neighborhoods like? I grew up in rural and suburban Illinois, and I would prefer not to go back to living in an ethnically homogenous area.
This year it was hit or miss on the cleaning of streets after the snow. I wouldn't recommend relying on your bike for your main source of transportation after a big snow.

On the streets that don't have a dedicated bike lane I just ride wherever I feel is the safest. Most of the roads that don't have a bike lane now a days will be a smaller less driven on road so traffic won't be too terrible on those or there will be a street running parallel with it that would have a bike lane that would make more sense to ride on.

Diversity is everywhere. You have to look for a neighborhood that would be relatively not diverse.

Also, I wouldn't recommend becoming roommates with your friends unless you want to have less friends. Craigslist is a great place to look for roommate situations. It's not the best for finding an apartment to rent on your own but roommates it's pretty much the best place to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,278 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
This year it was hit or miss on the cleaning of streets after the snow. I wouldn't recommend relying on your bike for your main source of transportation after a big snow.

On the streets that don't have a dedicated bike lane I just ride wherever I feel is the safest. Most of the roads that don't have a bike lane now a days will be a smaller less driven on road so traffic won't be too terrible on those or there will be a street running parallel with it that would have a bike lane that would make more sense to ride on.

Diversity is everywhere. You have to look for a neighborhood that would be relatively not diverse.

Also, I wouldn't recommend becoming roommates with your friends unless you want to have less friends. Craigslist is a great place to look for roommate situations. It's not the best for finding an apartment to rent on your own but roommates it's pretty much the best place to look.
Ah, yeah I've heard that before, but I've lived with these guys for two years now so I hope I've already gotten past the 'lose friend b/c roommate' stage (I'm living with six other people right now)! I'll definitely check out Craigslist though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 12:55 PM
 
251 posts, read 340,178 times
Reputation: 152
I would suggest looking into Greenpoint, Brooklyn. For a share, it is definitely in your price range. You can take the L into Manhattan at 14th street and switch on the 4, 5, 6 line to the Financial District easily. It is near the Williamsburg bridge and biking might be commutable. Greenpoint has a young crowd and has a decent amount of bars and restaurants. It is also near Williamsburg which has more activities and establishments.

I would also look into Astoria in Queens. Another area for young professionals. Tons of restaurants and bars. There is also Astoria Park by the river and you can get some nice biking down there. The commute might be slightly longer than Greenpoint but you could take R straight down to the Financial District or easily switch to the other lines. Not sure how long it would be to bike to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Between the Bays
10,786 posts, read 11,237,657 times
Reputation: 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv224 View Post
I would suggest looking into Greenpoint, Brooklyn. For a share, it is definitely in your price range. You can take the L into Manhattan at 14th street and switch on the 4, 5, 6 line to the Financial District easily. It is near the Williamsburg bridge and biking might be commutable. Greenpoint has a young crowd and has a decent amount of bars and restaurants. It is also near Williamsburg which has more activities and establishments.

I would also look into Astoria in Queens. Another area for young professionals. Tons of restaurants and bars. There is also Astoria Park by the river and you can get some nice biking down there. The commute might be slightly longer than Greenpoint but you could take R straight down to the Financial District or easily switch to the other lines. Not sure how long it would be to bike to work.
The bike commute from Astoria would be a bit more lengthy than the other areas already mentioned.

From Greenpoint, your train commute will likely be the G to the A/C at Hoyt-Schermerhorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 02:10 PM
 
1,319 posts, read 4,233,006 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocamlmycaml View Post
I'm graduating college and starting work in New York in July, and am trying to narrow down my search process right now.

People are telling me to look for a rent multiplier of 40x to 50x - so with an income of 53k I'd be looking at paying $1000 - $1250 a month for rent. Is that about right? Ideally I would like to live with a roommate or two, although it seems like all the people I know moving to New York are on a different level of pay...

I'm going to be working in the Financial District. Based purely on Google Maps, it seems like the most reasonable neighborhoods to be looking would be somewhere in Brooklyn? I'm planning on heading over during Spring Break and getting a feel for the city and different neighborhoods; what might be good places to check out? I would be extremely happy if there was a chance of commuting to work via bicycle. While working downtown in Chicago I'd bike to and from work along the lake, and it was just splendid.

Also, what's NYC safety like? I went to school down in Hyde Park, which I'd say is one of the safer neighborhoods in Chicago (Hyde Park -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com) ... what places might be comparable?

Thanks, guys!
Consider living in NJ. Towns like Hoboken and Jersey City will gives you very quick commute via Path to FiDi. Plus if you live in NJ, you will not pay NYC income tax which will be 2-4% of your income (depending on bracket). You will pay NYS tax but you get credit which basically cancels out NJS tax.

You won't be able to find studio for 1 to 1.25k in nice areas but if you get a roommate, it is definitely doable.

You will be working in Finance. Do the math, go to NYC finance to find the bracket, see how much NYC income tax you'd pay with your salary minus tax deductibles like 401K to see how much you are going to pay as ball park. Multiply that by 2-3 years. It adds up.

Edit: Oh yes, do the google map thing for commute. Few areas can beat commute to FiDi whether its by bike, train, etc.and those few areas are quite expensive (DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, Downtown Brooklyn, etc.). I know I lived there before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Between the Bays
10,786 posts, read 11,237,657 times
Reputation: 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Oh yes, do the google map thing for commute. Few areas can beat commute to FiDi whether its by bike, train, etc.and those few areas are quite expensive (DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, Downtown Brooklyn, etc.). I know I lived there before
I would not recommend riding your bicycle through the tunnels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top