Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:17 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I didn't say I spent it. That's what they wanted. I have an extra set.

When they go to fix the elevator they will give it to me...whenever that is.
Well what do you think is the appropriate price for stopping an elevator and getting an elevator mechanic to climb into the pit to retrieve your keys?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 12:34 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
That is a very terrible thing to say, that we need another Sandy or 9/11 here to wash away certain types. That would really be no different than the Holocaust in many ways if you think about it. Also, you may want to think about how us 'yuppies' (not that we all really are, but so be it) pay for so many of the services you blindly use every day with our tax money. What an incredibly hateful and insensitive thing to say. It shocks me, even coming from you. You will welcome an uneducated immigrant from Bhutan or Egypt with open arms but have no respect for your fellow Americans. Shameful. And maybe time to see a shrink. Also get out of mommy's place while you're at it. Oh wait, you can't because you're just a low-paid doorman and barely make enough to eat as it is. I feel like you are just chewing on a raw nerve... but I won't give you the power to upset me further.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 03-21-2014 at 12:43 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Hmmm I actually thought he was being sarcastic and joking.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Hmmm I actually thought he was being sarcastic and joking.
Correct my friend.

I'm not serious about what I said and it is sarcasm. But however I would be more concerned about North Korean, Chinese or Russian strategic Nuclear warhead falling over my head than another series of airplane hijacking or hurricanes heading to NYC. I'm not sure if you guys listen to politics or what not but their is growing discontent in the world especially in an increasingly multipolar world. NYC is a strong city and can endure a lot and we have seen this in recent years, its not a weak city, but something on a massive scale that can destroy cities, NYC can never recover from that! NYC nearly had close call during the Cold war. Thankfully Soviets averted. In matter of fact if you look at history, disasters helped bring things back to normalcy. Look at the "black death" in Europe, after the pestilence passed, jobs became plentiful along with land allowing many to become wealthy in a short time. Fall of Constantinople in 1453, Turks massacred nearly every single Greek and some Italians in the city, However after the city once again became Europe's largest dominate city within a 100 years until London eclipsed the city in the 19th century. Most disasters however are rather tragic and not easy for some to come out of it. Hell the Triangle Shirt Waist fire during the turn of the century that killed 120 something women, that fire helped in placed fire code laws that save many to this day.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-21-2014 at 03:12 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
That is a very terrible thing to say, that we need another Sandy or 9/11 here to wash away certain types. That would really be no different than the Holocaust in many ways if you think about it. Also, you may want to think about how us 'yuppies' (not that we all really are, but so be it) pay for so many of the services you blindly use every day with our tax money. What an incredibly hateful and insensitive thing to say. It shocks me, even coming from you. You will welcome an uneducated immigrant from Bhutan or Egypt with open arms but have no respect for your fellow Americans. Shameful. And maybe time to see a shrink. Also get out of mommy's place while you're at it. Oh wait, you can't because you're just a low-paid doorman and barely make enough to eat as it is. I feel like you are just chewing on a raw nerve... but I won't give you the power to upset me further.
What I said was a joke and nothing serious. NYC is a strong city to some extent and can endure especially in the roughest of times. To be honest you seem to be very weak and misguided. For one I'm friends with plenty of yuppies and all of them are from out of town, most would have thought of it as a joke. As for me accepting more and more uneducated immigrants from Bhutan an Egypt, hmmm that depends. NYC has too many people to be accepting more immigrants, than again I said that depends. Some immigrants are bright and industrious, even creative, and help bring the best out of America and NYC. I'm sure your fore fathers and mothers came to NYC en mass and often dirty, stinky and heavily uneducated. But Bhutan and Egypt are on my travel list of places to visit btw and not Florida. Mommy's place lol, I pay the rent and its not cheap and its pushing close to 2000.00 if you round it off the nearest thousandth. Low paid Doorman? Not anymore, I ranked up, I make more than enough to eat, enough to go to events such as concerts and sporting events, dates, enjoy three weeks paid vacation to travel and etc. Most New Yorkers do not have that luxury these days due to declining benefits to keep wages afloat. Hell I'm trying to give my job away to someone else when the next promotion arrives or a new profession does. But again I have to spend wisely like most Americans. I'm sorry to burst your bubble east bound and down chick! You trying to make me feel bad about myself only did the reverse. Anyway, did you ever find that tall Nordic 6 figure income earning guy yet that owns a time shares in Thailand and Costa Rica?

But back to the topic, NYC is becoming more and more expensive. Basic necessities are going up, metro cards are supposed to go up again and with another transit strike looming. I don't know how long the feds can keep interest so low at this point which is helping to prolong this down economy. Just be thankful that the air we breath is free for now. Until the government wants to tax us 25cents a day for us to breath air!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-21-2014 at 03:27 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 04:23 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
^ you should look into a career modeling catastrophe bonds. Negative events are always bound to happen and people need protection.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
^ you should look into a career modeling catastrophe bonds. Negative events are always bound to happen and people need protection.
I thought about that actually. I remember some years ago at college, Fema executives were doing a small gathering of some sort. I was not invited but I manged to sit on the bleachers and listen. I remember one guy saying that worst things can happen to NYC than a terrorist attack and or a natural disaster. Again I did not want to imagine. Again this was after hurricane Katrina. The areas in the city that they predicated that would be flooded by hurricanes was spot on when Sandy hit. A good thing I live on high ground and on the American mainland. Actually one of the Fema guy had said living in Manhattan and other islands are the worst places to be in case of a disaster due to its location and being cut off from the rest of the nation.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
This is my first time repping you in awhile EastBoundandDownChick. But you are so on point here!

Old 03-21-2014, 05:55 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I thought about that actually. I remember some years ago at college, Fema executives were doing a small gathering of some sort. I was not invited but I manged to sit on the bleachers and listen. I remember one guy saying that worst things can happen to NYC than a terrorist attack and or a natural disaster. Again I did not want to imagine. Again this was after hurricane Katrina. The areas in the city that they predicated that would be flooded by hurricanes was spot on when Sandy hit. A good thing I live on high ground and on the American mainland. Actually one of the Fema guy had said living in Manhattan and other islands are the worst places to be in case of a disaster due to its location and being cut off from the rest of the nation.
Even after Sandy, 9/11, and all the other natural disasters and terrorist attacks worldwide, the biggest concern is still an old fashion uncontainable flu pandemic outbreak. No one would be safe as it'll jump over bodies of water. And especially as we continue with all the modifications to the healthcare insurance industry, who knows if we will be properly reserved financially for such an event. People do need to think about such gloomy events because they have happened in the past in reoccurring cycles. As populations continue to grow, potential severity will only get more elevated. You think hurricane Andrew was the worst to hit Florida? Probably not, there just weren't so many people living there before. As for a career, it would be very mathematics based studying likelihood and severity. But it'll pay very very well as there is the demand as most people rather just not think of such events ever occurring.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:12 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I'm guessing that quite a lot could be done about it - starting with changing the structure for income tax and property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City