Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

I agree, ^^
working longer hours and NOT traveling in the rush hour, one does get home faster.

Years ago when I did o/t ( I don't anymore), If I left the job at 8pm, it took less time for me to get home then when I left at 5...........................and that was living in SI.....

so take that!!!! **** sticks tongue out*****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 04:59 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Firstly, how many people actually live in micro apartments? We've already established that only one building was finished under Bloomberg's program. Secondly, what evidence do you have that the residents of this building predominantly work "multiple jobs at irregular hours". If micro-apartments become popular, they will end up being filled just like every other small apartment in NYC: with either young, transitional millennial's looking for the NYC experience, or welfare/SSI recipients. Each will have their own work situation, if they even work at all.

On the topic of outer-borough affordability, I accused you of changing your argument in regards to "irregular hours". I work irregular hours. I have done so since 2004. My work day is over 8 hours also, every day. So I'd fit the "long hours" part also. I brought this up as another way in which the outer-boroughs become easier to afford and convenient. I do it for the latter. You blew this off. That leads me to believe that you are just another poster here who can't admit that you might be wrong. You posit that your theory is correct always no matter what conflicting information arises.

I fully understand that I am using a personal anecdote to prove my point, but I recognize that my experience only applies to some people. You're telling us that your theory applies to all future residents of these so-called micro-apartments and/or outer-borough residents in general (ie, not cheaper or more convenient). I'm telling you that it is simply not true.
You should check your premises before you rebut.

How can you say you work long hours when 8 hours is the normal work day (ya know, 9-5)? Put it another way, there's absolutely nothing exceptional with working 8 hour days.

So now you just exposed yourself to be using a fallacy to try and sell your point.

I guess working 10+ hour days must be inconceivable to you, no?

Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times

Old 03-21-2014, 05:47 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post

How can you say you work long hours when 8 hours is the normal work day (ya know, 9-5)? Put it another way, there's absolutely nothing exceptional with working 8 hour days.

So now you just exposed yourself to be using a fallacy to try and sell your point.

"My work day is over 8 hours also, every day."

So I WAS wrong: you just can't read.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:26 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Not in most places where there is good transportation to and from manhattan 24x7. Astoria and LIC are way above 1200. Even sunnyside is too far and too detached as is woodside.
I assume, in reading the bolded quote of yours, that your use of the words "far" and "too detached" was referring to distance from Manhattan (not rent levels for apartments). If so, are you actually saying that you deem both Sunnyside and Woodside to be too distant from Manhattan? Really? Sunnyside is just on the edge of Long Island City and Woodside is only a very short hop further east from Sunnyside. Getting from Sunnyside or Woodside to Manhattan would be hardly any more time on the subway than Long Island City or Astoria (not enough extra distance to feel you are too far removed from Manhattan).

I don't even deem Forest Hills (where your user name suggests that you reside) to be too far from Manhattan per se. Flushing or Jamaica or Ozone Park might be but Forest Hills is still centrally located and well-served by 24/7 subways, buses and commuter rail. And Sunnyside and Woodside are even that much closer to the city (with Sunnyside being virtually on Manhattan's edge).

Quote:
If they work irregular and long hours in manhattan and need to get in and out of home and work late then those other places are not really options. What more multiple jobs. Wait time for many subways to the boroughs can reach 30 mins after10pm and the rides are long. When I lived in Forest Hills the only way I could get home in less than an hour if I left work past 9 was through car service. And my place was walkable from the E and F. I lived in Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Rego Park and Woodhaven so I know how public transit really works in Queens. If it weren't for my employer's car service and the fact that I had only one job, I would not have lived in Queens at that time. Have an ex-coworker who lives in Sunnyside and now works brutal hours for an investment bank and he tells me the same thing. My guess is such folks are looking to work 80 to 100 hrs a week and need places they can easily get in and out of. Most areas in queens won't cut it.
AN AMENDMENT (EDIT) TO WHAT I SAID ABOVE: Having read, after the fact, the quote of yours pasted in immediately above this paragraph, I perhaps can see now what you mean: you are actually referring to TIME TAKEN to commute to & from Manhattan to Sunnyside or Woodside (including waiting for the trains at all hours including late night hours and then the time taken to ride the train, get off at your stop, and make your way home). Perhaps waiting for trains even to Sunnyside from Manhattan can be somewhat taxing time-wise and then Woodside or Forest Hills even more so.

But my feeling about the matter overall, for myself, is that unless one just lives (or primarily lives) for the sake of the particular Manhattan-based job that they hold at the time, to live in Manhattan just for a shorter commute to & from work each day is making alot of sacrifices otherwise to yourself mentally, physically, and otherwise (and most often economically). It often is worth it to have more space, less density, less people, less noise, et al to deal with day-after-day-after-day 24/7/365. Constantly being immersed 24/7/365 in the setting which is Manhattan for ALL your living and working may take its toll (or at least on some of us). I, like you, would rather be in Forest Hills (for instance) and put up with the commute otherwise.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
"My work day is over 8 hours also, every day."

So I WAS wrong: you just can't read.
LOL! Nice try deflecting your own your stumbles at me. First you accused me of changing my argument. You could not prove it when I asked you to. Now this flap.

Disingenuous, at best. Who do you think you're trying to fool? If those extra hours you allegedly worked were truly exceptional by ordinary standards you would have broached it right away. But you really weren't sure about it so you just set the bar low to play it safe.

But hey, you can always keep shifting your pronouncements as the discussion moves along and hope no half-witted poster spots it.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:21 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Forget it, this has devolved into the absurd now.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:

I am guessing reading comprehension wasnt one of your stronger points.

He said working OVER 8 hours....

Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Firstly, how many people actually live in micro apartments? We've already established that only one building was finished under Bloomberg's program. Secondly, what evidence do you have that the residents of this building predominantly work "multiple jobs at irregular hours". If micro-apartments become popular, they will end up being filled just like every other small apartment in NYC: with either young, transitional millennial's looking for the NYC experience, or welfare/SSI recipients. Each will have their own work situation, if they even work at all.

On the topic of outer-borough affordability, I accused you of changing your argument in regards to "irregular hours". I work irregular hours. I have done so since 2004. My work day is over 8 hours also, every day. So I'd fit the "long hours" part also. I brought this up as another way in which the outer-boroughs become easier to afford and convenient. I do it for the latter. You blew this off. That leads me to believe that you are just another poster here who can't admit that you might be wrong. You posit that your theory is correct always no matter what conflicting information arises.

I fully understand that I am using a personal anecdote to prove my point, but I recognize that my experience only applies to some people. You're telling us that your theory applies to all future residents of these so-called micro-apartments and/or outer-borough residents in general (ie, not cheaper or more convenient). I'm telling you that it is simply not true.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am guessing reading comprehension wasnt one of your stronger points.

He said working OVER 8 hours....
Yeah, like 8.5 hours is "over 8 hours". Is that how long you work before you charge overtime nightcrawler?

I can picture you checking out at 5:30 and exhaling "man! what a hectic day that was!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City