Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:15 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateO View Post
What you're asking is illegal. Too bad you weren't a victim of the blast.
No s**t Sherlock! Some very keen insight you've got there Ray Charles. It was obviously a joke but guess the discomfort of your knickers being in a bunch prevented you from noticing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If the City lets it be known they will mount an aggressive and vigorous defence as Bloomberg as doing with the FDNY case some attorneys and or their plaintiffs will think twice. Bloomberg came into office with a businessman's point of view. That was it was cheaper and more certain to settle cases where warranted rather than incur the costs of legal proceedings.
This sounds contradictory. Mount an aggressive attack as Bloomberg did, yet Bloomberg thought it was easier to settle?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This sounds contradictory. Mount an aggressive attack as Bloomberg did, yet Bloomberg thought it was easier to settle?

He wasn't going to settle the FDNY discrimination case. In fact the Bloomberg administration IIRC tried to have the presiding judge removed. At some point the clock ran out and the thing was left for the next mayor to deal with.

OTOH in case you haven't noticed almost every other week or so you hear of a case against the City that was settled

Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
He wasn't going to settle the FDNY discrimination case. In fact the Bloomberg administration IIRC tried to have the presiding judge removed. At some point the clock ran out and the thing was left for the next mayor to deal with.

OTOH in case you haven't noticed almost every other week or so you hear of a case against the City that was settled
Yeah but nothing like $98 million. The kids who were throwing the snowball at the cop in the Bronx for $60K split between the 5 of them.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah but nothing like $98 million. The kids who were throwing the snowball at the cop in the Bronx for $60K split between the 5 of them.
Well the case of FDNY is a different matter. They are supposedly being compensated for back wages and such, that is there is some sort of number to work from; those kids throwing snow balls should consider themselves well off with 60K. Am willing to bet anywhere else in the USA they wouldn't have gotten 60 cents! *LOL*

Old 03-19-2014, 01:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Well the case of FDNY is a different matter. They are supposedly being compensated for back wages and such, that is there is some sort of number to work from; those kids throwing snow balls should consider themselves well off with 60K. Am willing to bet anywhere else in the USA they wouldn't have gotten 60 cents! *LOL*
Settling out of court wasn't just about paying the discriminated individuals money. It's about changing the fire department itself, along court mandated suggestions. The Fire Department will no longer be white.

You also ignore that a Republican administration (George Bush's) sued the city under Bloomberg for this kind of discrimination. No one excuse team Bush of being civil rights activists, so if even they sued I'd say they were definitely on to something.

Back to Bloomberg, he is not GOD. He isn't. Breathe deeply. It's been clear for awhile the city was going to vote for a mayor that carried the city in a whole new direction.

Btw, the city settled out of court big time when two NYPD officers raped a drunk woman in the East Village. Bloomberg settled out of court in some high profile cases.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
What a shame. THis, along with probably other hundreds of frivolous lawsuits, will inevitably show up.

Is there any legitimate way for the City to protect itself without having to payout millions to those who's claims are false? Since so many people were affected, I have a feeling it's going to be very difficult, if not impossible?

Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
What a shame. THis, along with probably other hundreds of frivolous lawsuits, will inevitably show up.

Is there any legitimate way for the City to protect itself without having to payout millions to those who's claims are false? Since so many people were affected, I have a feeling it's going to be very difficult, if not impossible?
Just saw on AM local NYC news that the woman has filed suit against Con Edison and landlord of the building. No mention was made of NYC, however who knows what may happen later on as facts emerge.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
i am suing and i live on 179 st in washington heights.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:46 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
i am suing and i live on 179 st in washington heights.
I saw it on TV and I got traumatized. I need to be compensated, can you please send me your lawyer's number? kthx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City