Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I kind of assumed that it was 2 railroad apartments combined to make a duplex, so in total closer to 2000 sq ft. The 2 bathrooms would definitely up the price, but you can probably find a 1000 sq ft apt with one bathroom for half the price deeper into Ridgewood. Being closer to Bushwick somehow brings a higher price tag these days. Go figure. Although being closer to Myrtle-Wyckoff is very convenient transportation wise for both subway and bus.

It is starting to seem like everything in Queens from LIC/Astoria to Forest Hills/Kew Gardens and all in between is starting slowly drop that "non trendy" stereotype.
But the listing said 1100 square feet, not 2000. I agree that 1100 is way too small to include 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
But the listing said 1100 square feet, not 2000. I agree that 1100 is way too small to include 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
I know. I don't see how it is even physically possible. 2 bathrooms and the kitchen could easily be more than 500 sq ft by itself.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:45 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
The OP probably doesn't know how much 1100 sq. feet actually is... They probably thought they were swinging a sweet deal, pretty typical of most clueless hipsters, not realizing that they actually got hustled by the Brooklyn hype... For the record, that apartment is in the 11385 zip code... Unfortunately you guys will not have the uber cool 11237 zip code... If you can stomach living in Queens, there's boatloads of better options but I'm sensing despite your recent posts indicating otherwise that this place is exactly what you're looking for...

Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 9,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The OP probably doesn't know how much 1100 sq. feet actually is... They probably thought they were swinging a sweet deal, pretty typical of most clueless hipsters, not realizing that they actually got hustled by the Brooklyn hype... For the record, that apartment is in the 11385 zip code... Unfortunately you guys will not have the uber cool 11237 zip code... If you can stomach living in Queens, there's boatloads of better options but I'm sensing despite your recent posts indicating otherwise that this place is exactly what you're looking for...
I spoke with the guy who listed it and I was wrong. It's actually 2320 sq ft with both floors combined. What's irking me is that some people don't seem to be reading in this forum. I've mentioned I don't care about the cool factor or where I live. I wanted convenience to Union Sq since it has most trains which lead me to where I want to go, space and a fairly safe area which is what I'm asking about peoples thought on, but yet quite a few post mentioned it might not be cool, it's not Brooklyn, blah blah blah. I don't care. The assumptions of any new resident to this city to be a clueless hipster by some of you is ridiculous. Now can someone who's actually helpful and knows the area chime in, instead of the grumpy "OMG you must be a hipster, because your new to NYC" crowd? Thanks and much appreciated.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
That surrounding area is pretty ghetto, to be honest.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:00 PM

Yeah. Probably the worst part of Ridgewood. Or looking at it from another angle, the best part of Bushwick. And since this isn't Williamsburg, Park Slope or Astoria, you probably will be typecast as a hipster, even if you aren't one. Better off than a hood rat from Bushwick though.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:40 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Wyckoff/Hancock is as close to "ghetto" as Ridgewood can get. North side of Bushwick is a lot more preferable

Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Wyckoff/Hancock is as close to "ghetto" as Ridgewood can get. North side of Bushwick is a lot more preferable
"ghetto" as in majority one ethnic group, looks run-down, gives off a somewhat shady vibe. Yes.
ghetto as we know the term to mean - high crime - NO.

To the OP, more likely than not you'll be just fine moving into that area as other hip newcomers such as yourself have made that area home in recent years... That being said, I'm saying this with respect, you're very naïve to trust someone whose trying to sell you on something just on word of mouth... First it was 1100 and then it bumps up to 2320? How does that happen? A simple error in numbers? sure...

Point is you are colossally overpaying for the area you are considering... For that price you can definitely find a more honest and fair offer in a much better non-hip area as other posters have mentioned...

Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Point is you are colossally overpaying for the area you are considering... For that price you can definitely find a more honest and fair offer in a much better non-hip area as other posters have mentioned...
You think he is really overpaying by that much? Because if it wasn't combined to make a 4 bd 2 ba duplex for $3000, it would likely be two separate 2 bd 1 ba for say $1200 - $1500.

OP, do you have the backyard or share it?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You think he is really overpaying by that much? Because if it wasn't combined to make a 4 bd 2 ba duplex for $3000, it would likely be two separate 2 bd 1 ba for say $1200 - $1500.

OP, do you have the backyard or share it?
Good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City