Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,678,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
The problem with this, and similar ideas, is that it winds up being a regressive tax on people who must drive, like the elderly and disabled. I'd favor it, strongly, if there was some way around this,
Wealthy people don't care, they just select automatic payment on the E-Zpass account and never notice the money missing from their credit card statements. You are right that it's the little guy who suffers the most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,232,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
a regressive tax on people who must drive, like the elderly and disabled.
As if we need more elderly and disabled drivers ...

Old 03-20-2014, 10:46 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,469,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Someone obviously moved here recently...
This idea was favored by Mayor Bloomberg since it began in London.

London is a very low rise city compared to Manhattan. They simply gave exemptions to everyone who lived in the congestion zone, and effectively forced everyone onto public transportation. The population of London's congestion zone is 136,000 . Now I think that the population of Manhattan below 60th street is 600,000.

Besides there are a lot of backstreets into Central London. Manhattan has bridges and tunnels. It doesn't seem to offer much advantage over the present system.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:32 PM

3,949 posts, read 5,062,878 times
Just another way to tax drivers to subsidize the wildly wasteful MTA.

Fill the east river with landfill and turn it into another road- solves a lot of problems.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,553,873 times
If you think Manhattan is expensive now wait till they pass this bill. All delivery companies will jack up their prices which will then get passed on to who?.... Yes the consumer living and shopping in Manhattan. So those of you who are in favor if it because you live in Manhattan and don't drive, and think it won't affect you, think again.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:45 AM

18,981 posts, read 13,877,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
This idea was favored by Mayor Bloomberg since it began in London.
This is the second time my quote was used to add information as if I didn't know all of this...

My point is that in the first post of this thread, congestion pricing is spoken about as if it is a new idea here or better yet, an idea that's never been brought up here. We went through all of this already, extensively. So obviously congestion pricing is not a new idea here. This was over 4 years ago, as I stated in my post.

If the OP is trying to say he believes the issue should be re-opened, that is fine and dandy, but it isn't what he said initially.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,203,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is the second time my quote was used to add information as if I didn't know all of this...

My point is that in the first post of this thread, congestion pricing is spoken about as if it is a new idea here or better yet, an idea that's never been brought up here. We went through all of this already, extensively. So obviously congestion pricing is not a new idea here. This was over 4 years ago, as I stated in my post.

If the OP is trying to say he believes the issue should be re-opened, that is fine and dandy, but it isn't what he said initially.
Bro, lemme explain something to you. Congestion pricing would bring in revenue. Did you also know that it's been proposed before?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,286,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Congestion pricing would bring in revenue.
But you do not know whether it will bring in enough revenue to offset the changes people will be making towards their lifestyle and livelihood.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,203,911 times
Jeezuz christ...

Old 03-21-2014, 09:01 AM

15,810 posts, read 14,434,020 times
This is a stupid idea that died a proper death. Congestion is self limiting, if there's too much congestion, people will avoid driving in and will take transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: