Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,057 times

Advertisements

Toilet-seekers,
How do you get bathroom access when you're out and about?

Blend in and pretend to be a customer?
Purchase something you don’t want for legitimacy?
Ask nicely- take a rogue ****- or you hold it till you get home?

I’m doing a story on the business of bathroom business. If you- or someone you know- is frustrated by New York’s lack of toilet options, please let me know! I’d love to hear your gripes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 11:04 PM

296 posts, read 469,066 times
I guess people can cope either by increasing the amount of fiber in their diet or cutting it out completely. As for number one, the number of puddles of mystery fluid on the sidewalk may answer your question.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:07 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,425,302 times
I give up on being civil. I go in phone booths construction sites trees sides of buildings....wherever I can. WHEN I CAN I make a trip into Macy's or a Starbucks.

I shouldn't have to do any of this. Taxes are too high not to have bathrooms. Why do dogs get a free pass but humans get fined ? How dumb is that.

I don't feel I need to pay every time I use the bathroom. I go way too often. Although for 50 cents or less and I'd be willing to pay.

Any 3rd world country I've been to has public bathrooms but for some reason this city hasn't found a way to make money on it so they let it go. NYC population is booming and infrastructure is lacking. You can't claim to be world class city without bathrooms.

Recently I saw a business starting a locker/bathroom business for $8 a day. That would be a great place to urinate...right on their doorstep.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:22 AM

510 posts, read 1,443,011 times
I never ever understood people complaining about a lack of bathrooms. I've never met a true New Yorker who doesn't keep a mental list of accessible bathrooms in the neighborhoods that they frequent. Whether they be bars, coffee shops, bookstores, whatever.

Also, NYC does have a system of public bathrooms- it's called Starbucks. Go ahead people, keep buying $5 cups of mass-produced garbage coffee and secretly funding the bathrooms for the masses.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:32 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Use restrooms at public libraries or in hotel lobbies.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:28 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,462 times
It really is a learned art--- once learned it usually is not that bad... just a few in the past month or so--- Main Public Library --- Bryant Park-----Sheraton Towers-----Beacon Hotel--- Macy's ... there are lots more but the subject needs to be studied. The rule of thumb is in this city if you have to ask somebody the answer is likely to be NO sorry it is out of order or It is for customers only.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,218,105 times
Can you really walk into a hotel and use their bathrooms?

BTW, public bathrooms aren't really common in other American cities either. It isn't just a NYC problem.

NYC should pass a law requiring eating establishments that have a certain number of seats allow the public to use its bathrooms.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:42 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Can you really walk into a hotel and use their bathrooms?

BTW, public bathrooms aren't really common in other American cities either. It isn't just a NYC problem.

NYC should pass a law requiring eating establishments that have a certain number of seats allow the public to use its bathrooms.
Yes. Especially the ones with bars and or restaurants. They'll usually have a bathroom in the lobby area and who are they to say that you don't actually have a room there?

I know of a place where I could use the bathroom at at just about every place that I frequent or pass through often in case I need to make a pit stop.

There's also plenty of apps out there that tell you location, cleanliness, cost, and how many in that location that are free.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:51 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Nice, while you're at it let's set up the toilet geshtapo so we can enforce that and put stores out of business for not giving away free services

Old 03-28-2014, 06:56 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,218,105 times
You make it sound like it is too hard to enforce. It isn't. How does the city enforce no smoking inside or occupancy limits or all other ordinances?

It would be the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City