Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:53 AM

13,609 posts, read 20,664,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
It is amazing isn't it? How they just don't seem to care. If it were me, I would talk to the person who left the note, and try to work something about..and definitely be more mindful of the noise I am making but no such luck.
The third time was down here in DC.

Mrs Moth and I lived in an apartment withour newborn son. Some girl upstairs would start banging nails at random, even at 2:00 am.

Finally, we walked up there- with our infant in hand. She looked at us as if we were lunatics and snarled, OK!

I began looking at houses the next day and two months later we were out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,467,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The third time was down here in DC.

Mrs Moth and I lived in an apartment withour newborn son. Some girl upstairs would start banging nails at random, even at 2:00 am.

Finally, we walked up there- with our infant in hand. She looked at us as if we were lunatics and snarled, OK!

I began looking at houses the next day and two months later we were out.
I would look into buying a house, but I don't plan to stay in NYC much longer, so to buy one and then just have to put it up for sale a few years later doesn't make sense...

Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM

18,363 posts, read 31,445,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I feel this is a good topic. I live on the first floor of my prewar building apartment. Luckily we have no neighbors below us, so I can walk however I want without having to worry about anyone living below us.

On the other hand I've had problems with the neighbor on the second floor above me since it was a lady who always walked around the house either in her heels, or her clogs. I went up there to confront her with my wife one day, and it got better for a while, but gradually got worse again until she moved out. Anyway, the noise after a while just gets annoying, especially at night. She also had a habit of letting the toilet seat lid slam shut after she did her business, so I would hear a loud thump before she flushes the toilet. Throughout the day or even into the night I would hear her drop random things onto the floor which I found annoying, I often thought did she trip and fall? maybe she was clumsy. The day she moved out was a joy for me and my wife, but the moving out process was loud as well as she started at 7am and didnt end till 4-5pm as she had a lot of stuff and bulky furniture to move.

Then the apartment above me stayed vacant for 2 months or so until the new tenant moved in, and so far its another lady, as I can tell by the sounds of the heels walking on the hardwood floors...it hasn't been as bad as she takes her heels off after she comes home. Either way, the good news is that I am moving in a few months into a detached, single family home, and wont have to deal with people too close to me anymore!
and some friendly advice.

Put a 6 foot fence around your property, ON your land. Pick your own fence out and do go and do "half-sees" with your neighbor to save money. Thats never a good idea.

Good fences, make for good neighbors.

that was learned the hard way

Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM

13,609 posts, read 20,664,651 times
Quote:
I would look into buying a house, but I don't plan to stay in NYC much longer, so to buy one and then just have to put it up for sale a few years later doesn't make sense...
I understand fully. Situations are always different.

You need peace of mind in your home, especially in New York.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I understand fully. Situations are always different.

You need peace of mind in your home, especially in New York.
Absolutely! that's my issue, I work a stressful job, have a long commute, so I look forward to being home and relaxing, so the noise issue drives me nuts.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:11 AM

15,574 posts, read 10,288,111 times
I found large apartment buildings were noisier than full floor townhouse apartments. Certain parts of the UES, mostly residential townhouses with no retail or bar/restaurants nearby, were the quietest and priciest apartments. Because of high rent, there weren't loud, usually young, inconsiderate neighbors. You get what you pay for in the city.

It is virtually impossible to cajole an inconsiderate neighbor or neighbors into being quiet and even harder to distract yourself from the noise. A quiet apartment was my number one priority for good quality of life in the city.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I found large apartment buildings were noisier than full floor townhouse apartments. Certain parts of the UES, mostly residential townhouses with no retail or bar/restaurants nearby, were the quietest and priciest apartments. Because of high rent, there weren't loud, usually young, inconsiderate neighbors. You get what you pay for in the city.

It is virtually impossible to cajole an inconsiderate neighbor or neighbors into being quiet and even harder to distract yourself from the noise. A quiet apartment was my number one priority for good quality of life in the city.
The one building I lived in was so quiet....but the bug issues forced me to move out.

The best apartment I had was the second floor of a two-family home, the downstairs neighbor was a friend and quiet as a mouse..I never had any noise issues there. Only when I first moved in (my friend wasn't living there yet), there was an obnoxious couple who loved to blast their surround sound.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,794,480 times
Quote:
Sent two notes to them....I hardly ever see them (they NEVER seem to leave the house-MAYBE for a five minute car ride and back home they are). It's two older sons and their elderly mother. Very bizarre, neither of them seems to work or anything, they just go to the store and come right back to stomp over our heads.

So I left two very polite notes. Basically saying that the noise is bad and if they would mind letting up a bit. It hasn't helped. I asked in the last note if they have carpet with padding, as per condo rules. No response, or acknowledgment of the note at all.

Well that means you have to knock on the door

Old 03-25-2014, 08:35 PM

681 posts, read 1,663,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and some friendly advice.

Put a 6 foot fence around your property, ON your land. Pick your own fence out and do go and do "half-sees" with your neighbor to save money. Thats never a good idea.

Good fences, make for good neighbors.

that was learned the hard way
Thank you!

The yard already has a nice 6' tall fence built around the perimeter of the back yard so I feel it's nice and private already. The neighbors to the right and left of the house are quiet, middle-aged professionals. One of them is childless, and the other have kids away at college. I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time in the yard this coming summer right after I move...looking forward to the bbq's I can host and being able to read a book or eat a meal with my guests on the patio in complete privacy.

I'll also have a 1 car garage where I can park one of my cars and a nice long driveway to park my other car with plenty of room to spare for guests and their vehicles. No more having to park on the street by the apartment, no more having to circle the block for 20 minutes before finding a parking spot on any given day. No more having to worry about alternate side parking.

2 more months to go before I move out of this apartment!

Old 03-25-2014, 09:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,751,504 times
New buildings, especially high rises are cheaply made and i have clients who were sucked in by the new/amenities etc but after 7 months say when lease is over put them in older doorman buildings or walk ups.

Wife and i live on the ground floor and we each sleep with earplugs. It works magic. We each been doing that way before we met so it was nothing new for us and was a welcomed plus lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: