Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:46 AM

335 posts, read 503,557 times

Advertisements

De Blasio says pre-K expansion will curb student suicides | New York Post

Yeppers, he really said it. The guy is so stupid he's skeery.

“It’s a larger societal phenomenon,” the mayor said, referring to student suicide, which has claimed the lives of 10 public-school kids in the past two months.
“It is deeply troubling,” de Blasio told reporters at an Upper East Side press conference on housing issues.
“Its not just in our public schools. We’re seeing this at the college level, too. We have to reach children earlier.”

Full article at link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 03:27 PM

19,029 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe Lady View Post
"We have to reach children earlier.”
This is one of the scariest political statements I've ever heard. All I need is the Progressive horde getting their hands on my kids before they can even think for themselves. Private school is looking more and more like a necessity I'm going to have to figure out how to afford.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:39 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
I totally support DeBlasio in his stance against charter schools, but pre-K will be just another babysitting service. Plenty of kids don't do preschool yet are still successful in school because their parents educated them at home in one way or another. Honestly, reading to the kid every night and taking him/her to the playground to play with other kids is enough preparation for kindergarten. I get DeBlasio knows some parents are beyond worthless and thinks this is the way to take care of those kids, but we're better off working with parents to get them to do their job rather than continually put kids in schools at younger and younger ages.

At the same time, I don't trust any publication owned by Rupert Murdoch who clearly is upset the people of NYC chose DeBlasio. Murdoch will do anything to taint the man - make a mountain out of a molehill, make Eva Moskawitz a saint, leave out vital information, find the two whiners on the Upper East Side in a snow storm. Because of his slanted coverage, I doubt DeBlasio so easily connected the two.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Private school is looking more and more like a necessity I'm going to have to figure out how to afford.
The missus needs a teaching certificate & a private job with free tuition for the young ones.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is one of the scariest political statements I've ever heard. All I need is the Progressive horde getting their hands on my kids before they can even think for themselves. Private school is looking more and more like a necessity I'm going to have to figure out how to afford.
Relax and check out your public school. Most of them are good and most parents and teachers there are trying to fight off the Common Core stuff. Also, three kids in public schools and I have yet to hear any progressive rhetoric that the media digs up.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
three kids in public schools and I have yet to hear any progressive rhetoric that the media digs up.
Your children's teachers are inundated in it, unfortunately.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 PM

DeBlasio is despicable! He took stats on students suicides announced by Carmen Farina this week and used something so tragic to enhance his own political agenda.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
He's gone off the deep end. Although maybe he was always off the deep end. I mean Pre-K will end all of societies woes, including suicide? Kook.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
He's gone off the deep end. Although maybe he was always off the deep end. I mean Pre-K will end all of societies woes, including suicide? Kook.
Thank you! I thoroughly agree with you. Based on everything I've seen so far I think, to put it kindly, he has issues.

Although "kook" says it better.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:03 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Pre k will help poor young mothers who have to drop out of college because they can't afford babysitting.

I support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: