Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:58 PM

133 posts, read 203,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
If I were you (and this is what I used to do living in Bay Ridge/working in SI not too far from the hospital actually) is just move to Bay Ridge and live not too far from 86th or 92nd Streets. (You'll also be close to either of those stops on the R train.) Take the bus directly from there. That will save you a lot of time---forget about Sunset. There are a lot more bars/restaurants/etc. in BR and there is practically no difference in rent anymore.

Apply for TransitChek. $1200/month won't get you too far but you could possibly find a one bedroom in BR for that amount---if you want to pay a little less, settle for a studio.

Are you definitely keeping the car? We have a car but depending on where you live in BR, street parking can be awful. (That applies to Sunset too.)

If you want to ask anything specifically about NS-LIJ, you can PM me.
Wow. Very informative. Thanks dude.

Im really liking having the option of bus. So bay ridge is tempting.

I think I have narrowed it down to bay ridge vs. Sunset park vs. Park slope. Im willing to pay around 1600 even.

Tough decision.

Yeah I plan on buying a car in nyc.

I will also PM you about north shore LIJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 02:05 PM

133 posts, read 203,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I don't think the express bus runs 24/7. If they changed it, they need to put up a new schedule. The one I found on the MTA's website is from 9/13 and is not 24/7. Relying on local trains plus a bus everyday will get un-fun very quickly. The buses are PACKED in the morning. I'd take a test commute for a week from the area I was considering before deciding where to live.

The other issue is the budget. I don't see the OP finding anything that include utilities for $1200/mo in Bay Ridge or Sunset Park. Without the utilities maybe, but if you want cable/internet, etc., it will add on. Maybe the OP could find something in a private home but if he is a resident, the hours will be insane and he will need to sleep during regular waking hours for others and noise could be an issue.

If you are beginning on July 1, is there any way the hospital can put you in touch with others who will begin their residency as well? They may have the same issues and a roommate situation could work out much better for you budget-wise.
Yeah thanks for info.

Well im willing to go up to 1600 I guess is my max. Is that possible for a nice one bed in bay ridge - sunset park - park slope?

I want to be close to that bus that goes to SI, as well as the R train and BQE.

Yeah thanks, I will get in touch with the hospital as well?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I don't think the express bus runs 24/7. If they changed it, they need to put up a new schedule. The one I found on the MTA's website is from 9/13 and is not 24/7. Relying on local trains plus a bus everyday will get un-fun very quickly. The buses are PACKED in the morning. I'd take a test commute for a week from the area I was considering before deciding where to live.
The X1 is the only express route in the city that runs 24/7. They added the service sometime last year.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedul...ss/x001cur.pdf

Old 03-26-2014, 04:02 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
Yeah thanks for info.

Well im willing to go up to 1600 I guess is my max. Is that possible for a nice one bed in bay ridge - sunset park - park slope?

I want to be close to that bus that goes to SI, as well as the R train and BQE.

Yeah thanks, I will get in touch with the hospital as well?

You don't have to go up to $1600 for a decent one bedroom here. My last one bedroom apartment was a pretty decent size and I had a daytime doorman for $1300/month. Honestly, with the car, I'd look for an apartment where parking isn't awful because it really can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City