Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM

129 posts, read 478,103 times

Advertisements

Hi visting nyc in May. I will be alone. Are the double deck buses the best way to see the city? Please help me. I will take all the advise I can. I'm a little nervous and excited since i have not been in the city before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM

171 posts, read 305,267 times
ive never been on one of those buses but the simple answer, from a local, is NO!
avoid that tourist trap crap, get a little familiarized with our subway system, go to the neighborhoods you want to see the most and just walk around.
those stupid buses keep you removed from the street and don't give you the opportunity to stop and smell the roses. when you walk a neighborhood you get an opportunity to smell the local smells, see the local sights or meet the people of a given neighborhood.
i implore you to not waste a bunch of time and money doing the same things that every other visitor seems to do, which is to say get stuck btwn midtown west and central park south.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM

Thank You vanguard cycle. I think you may be right. I am going to book a hotel somewhere in NYC close to all the tourist sites. I was a little nervous of getting lost or taking the wrong subway. OMG I would be beside myself if i took the wrong subway! I do want to see the tourist stuff. However I would also like to go where the local people go EX: Restaurants. I will be there from May23-may 26.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
ive never been on one of those buses but the simple answer, from a local, is NO!
avoid that tourist trap crap, get a little familiarized with our subway system, go to the neighborhoods you want to see the most and just walk around.
those stupid buses keep you removed from the street and don't give you the opportunity to stop and smell the roses. when you walk a neighborhood you get an opportunity to smell the local smells, see the local sights or meet the people of a given neighborhood.
i implore you to not waste a bunch of time and money doing the same things that every other visitor seems to do, which is to say get stuck btwn midtown west and central park south.

I disagree with this advice. If you've never been here before take a tour bus on the first day before heading out on your own. A bus tour will show you the highlights quickly and efficiently and save you the time and energy of trying to figure out how to get to the big tourist spots and navigating the subways and buses. I've done this when I first vistied other cities and it's worked great. I took an organized bus tour first and THEN spent time checking out the rest of the city on my own after I got the general lay of the land, had hit up the big tourist sites, and wanted to wander a bit to see how the locals lived.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:50 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I think the double decker bus is good for a first time to get a sense of the city.

As for the subway, it isn't difficult to use and one can use the MTA website prior to plan one's usage of it.

MTA NYCT - Trip Planner+

Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 PM

THX! I'm looking forward to the trip. Just found out I can"t stay at the same hotel my friend is going to. Ugh!! Friend jammed me up! Anyone know if the Sofitel Hotel is nice? I think I can get a pretty good deal on it.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelady View Post
THX! I'm looking forward to the trip. Just found out I can"t stay at the same hotel my friend is going to. Ugh!! Friend jammed me up! Anyone know if the Sofitel Hotel is nice? I think I can get a pretty good deal on it.
It is fine and the location is fine--- as for transportation the best way is one loop of the double decker bus to get a sense of the city and not get off anywhere--- then take the time from now until then to research the city and take the subways and buses to get around while you are here. You can buy one weekly unlimited pass for the week ($24 I think) that can be used on both subways and buses. If you are going to be with friends this is not a problem and they run 24/7 and are perfectly safe for the places you and other tourists will go.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:02 PM

AWESOME! THANK YOU everyone for helping! NEW YORK HERE I COME! Counting down the days!

Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
It is fine and the location is fine--- as for transportation the best way is one loop of the double decker bus to get a sense of the city and not get off anywhere--- then take the time from now until then to research the city and take the subways and buses to get around while you are here. You can buy one weekly unlimited pass for the week ($24 I think) that can be used on both subways and buses. If you are going to be with friends this is not a problem and they run 24/7 and are perfectly safe for the places you and other tourists will go.

Guess its geen a while since you bought one. It's $30 for a weekly unlimited Metrocard now.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I think the bus tour is a good idea.

Don't worry too much about taking the subway. It might be intimidating at first, but you will get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to ask for help or directions. Also realize that not everyone you may ask will know the answer (they may be visitors too) and/or they might not speak English.

Perhaps you should purchase a guide book to help you plan your days. There are the normal ones like Fodors and also different ones like Not For Tourists.

Amazon.com: Fodor's New York City 2014 (Full-color Travel Guide) eBook: Fodor's: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Tourists-Guide...ords=nyc+guide

Also, download a free app for your iphone or Android phone if you have one that shows the MTA subway map. That way you won't have to find a physical map when you are underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City