Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I live in brooklyn.
the other night at 11;45 i was awoken to a bright white light in my face, scared the crap out of me. I opened my eyes and there was a lazer flashlight coming from the apartment diagnol across the street from me. i ran to the window and the person was shining it downwards, not sure if they saw me. I didnt want to wake my partner so i went to the living room window, we are on the 4th floor. Then the person shone the light at my bedroom window again, and then i stuck me head out and it swent away.

my partner saw the police today and they went up to the apartment and they said it is a mental man and his daughter that works in some sort of law enforcement, that explains the lazer light and binoculars.

BTW our shades were halfway down as the window was open half way. the light went right under the window and into my face. then we find out the people are related to the super of the building.
something isnt right here, none of this makes sense. the light scared me to death

i saw a woman looking at our windows with binoculars during the day.
we have plants hanging in the living room windows and keep the shades all the way rolled up. i dont care about people looking in when the light is on and shades are up, that is fair game...but to shine a flashlight in my apartment at nighttime when all the lights are off is not acceptable.
Not sure what to make of this.

Sounds like survellience to me. but trust me, my apartment is about as dull as they come.
I have no clue on this. i was thinking maybe she likes me????.
You can see from her living room, part of my bed that i lay on and watch TV. As we watch TV in the bedroom every night fully clothed, and the shades there are pulled halfway. but is she is at the window smoking and looks she can see me. that doesnt bother me so much as all her curtains are open also, but I have yet to see the man there...

so then my partner went up there today to talk to them, and he said he heard people in there but they didnt answer the door.

i want to call the police again and go up with them, so I can see them up close and make believe the other police officers didnt go up there.

Im a little confused and uneasy about this siutution. I have been living in this same apartment for 26 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
see if it happens again. if not, there's nothing to worry about i guess.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I live in brooklyn.
the other night at 11;45 i was awoken to a bright white light in my face, scared the crap out of me. I opened my eyes and there was a lazer flashlight coming from the apartment diagnol across the street from me. i ran to the window and the person was shining it downwards, not sure if they saw me. I didnt want to wake my partner so i went to the living room window, we are on the 4th floor. Then the person shone the light at my bedroom window again, and then i stuck me head out and it swent away.

my partner saw the police today and they went up to the apartment and they said it is a mental man and his daughter that works in some sort of law enforcement, that explains the lazer light and binoculars.

BTW our shades were halfway down as the window was open half way. the light went right under the window and into my face. then we find out the people are related to the super of the building.
something isnt right here, none of this makes sense. the light scared me to death

i saw a woman looking at our windows with binoculars during the day.
we have plants hanging in the living room windows and keep the shades all the way rolled up. i dont care about people looking in when the light is on and shades are up, that is fair game...but to shine a flashlight in my apartment at nighttime when all the lights are off is not acceptable.
Not sure what to make of this.

Sounds like survellience to me. but trust me, my apartment is about as dull as they come.
I have no clue on this. i was thinking maybe she likes me????.
You can see from her living room, part of my bed that i lay on and watch TV. As we watch TV in the bedroom every night fully clothed, and the shades there are pulled halfway. but is she is at the window smoking and looks she can see me. that doesnt bother me so much as all her curtains are open also, but I have yet to see the man there...

so then my partner went up there today to talk to them, and he said he heard people in there but they didnt answer the door.

i want to call the police again and go up with them, so I can see them up close and make believe the other police officers didnt go up there.

Im a little confused and uneasy about this siutution. I have been living in this same apartment for 26 years
Sounds like someone has the hots for you.Are you sure you and the BF haven't ever put on a show for her ? Sounds like she has seen something and is hungry for more.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-25-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 02:14 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
That is so scary, and obtrusive.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Wow, nightcrawler, you're better than me...I think I would freaked, grabbed a baseball bat and start pounding on their door! Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
that would have freaked me out!!! Not only the flashlight but the binoculars??!?!?!? I would file a police report NOW and get a copy of the report. If the cops come, I don't think they're going to let you go upstairs with them. I think the both of you should go up there and confront them and ask them why are they shining lights into your window and looking in your window with binoculars?!?!

As for them being related to the super? I would tell the super AND the building management (Put it all in writing, too. You don't know what kind of people you're dealing with here!)

Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Was it really a laser or just a flashlight?
A laser can blind and thus can be considered a weapon. People have faced criminal charges for shining a laser at a passing plane.
If it happens again DON'T LOOK AT IT.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:58 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
do not get involved yourself-- keep reporting it to the police and the building management if you are sure of the apartment number it is coming from include that in your report--- my guess is the building management will be the first to act.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
This is voyeurism and you clearly have a reason to be upset. I agree with Keifer King about not looking at the laser light. These people sound nuts. I hope authorities and building management respond to the fact a tenant is having the enjoyment of their home impacted. Good luck man. Let us know how everything is.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
thank you all for the responses. the police told my partner for the time being keep the shades in the bedroom dow, which we can do, but summer is coming...eek. lucking when I put the a/c in the window, that will take care of her view.

no, we have never put on a "show" for anyone.

KK, I was sound asleep, the lazer light woke me up as it was in my face. I am going to say by luck it hit me in the right place, but never the less, did scare me for a bit.

I am not afraid, it is a nuisiance.

so now tonight I went to the living room window and I saw the woman at the window, she saw me, but I wanted to let her know, yes, I'm hip to you. (moron) so then she pulled her blinds down and closed them, and the window on the other side (it is corner apt) she closed the curtains, as there is no blind......

so for now, the police said if you feel uneasy call 911 to my partner....

I will call 911 only if the lazer light happens again, as far as the binoculars, thank you, but amazon.com has everything.....two can play at this. LOL.
as far as her looking in if my shades are up and light is on, obviously I should just pull them down, but we like to look out, but I'm ok with that....

so lets hope there is no more flashlight thing. The police said no, they are not allowed to do that.......

the police told my partner not to come up with them because you k=never know what your dealing with........

ugh, can you imagine after 26 years of living in the same building, I need this crap....

I feel like a few of the other posters also, I wanted to go up there and let my Brooklyn-ness, take over and rip them a new azzhole, but as an middle age man, with 3 grown sons, I figured it is better if the police handle it.....I wouldn't even tell my sons.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: