Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:52 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraw View Post
Agreed. Far Rockaway is a dump! It's home to some of the largest housing projects in nyc. I can't imagine there are very many jewish people left there. It's black,spanish, and a few scattered whites who couldn't escape. Anyone who would tell you far rock is safe definitely has an agenda. As other areas in the boroughs became nicer and more exspensive far rockaway became a dumping ground. Take a ride around, you will see firsthand.
actually far rockaway has a large jewish population still. and the rockaways are home to many irish. i'm not denying that some areas of far rockaway are bad, but some of your info is way off, and probably based on a saturday afternoon joyride and reading the daily news.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Central Avenue begins in Far Rockaway, yes, but its mroe exclusive parts are squarely in the Five Towns area of Nassau County, NOT within Far Rockaway itself.
correct.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:12 AM

46 posts, read 254,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
Far Rockaway, haha, what a ****hole. My dad got windows on his school bus shot out by pellet guns last year during his bus route in Far Rockaway. Avoid.
Finally an honest opinion. I notice the people on the forum don't want anyone to badmouth their neighborhood. Far Rockaway is full of criminal types. I'm sure all the jewish people live in a small enclave. Irish? Yeah right, they left that area 20 yrs ago.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italian23 View Post
Finally an honest opinion. I notice the people on the forum don't want anyone to badmouth their neighborhood. Far Rockaway is full of criminal types. I'm sure all the jewish people live in a small enclave. Irish? Yeah right, they left that area 20 yrs ago.
if you take time to actually read my post, i stated that some areas of far rockaway are bad. no denying that. and there are 2 concentrated areas (bayswater and west lawrence) where many jewish live, but some also live throughtout far rockaway. and there are plenty of irish in rockaway still. we still have a st. patrick's day parade on beach 116th street every year. like i said, your information on far rockaway could have come from nothing more than a saturday afternoon joyride. i've lived there my whole life, so i really don't think you have any credibility to speak about it.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times
I'm moving to Rockaway Park in January, I love it out there. Been enjoying the beach there for about 12 years now. I love it even in the winter. Far far Rockaway has some nice parts as well.
It has some great diversity and LOTS of characters!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
MHN

5 posts, read 12,806 times
There are some jewish enclaves in Far Rockaway. Go east on Mott from Beach Channel Drive. Still, this is definitely NOT a nice area.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:09 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I'm moving to Rockaway Park in January, I love it out there. Been enjoying the beach there for about 12 years now. I love it even in the winter. Far far Rockaway has some nice parts as well.
It has some great diversity and LOTS of characters!
You are going to do it, huh? Good for you. I hope it is what you are looking for. I spent 25 years of my life in the area & still have many friends there. Have a frozen pina colda for me at Connolly's in the Spring for me!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:06 AM

398 posts, read 698,552 times
hi there and an early welcome to NY. I have never lived in Far Rockaway, and never would based on its crappy rep. But I have lived my whole life in Ozone Park, a block from the A train. I am also a young & blonde half-German woman, and I've never had a single problem. Our neighborhood now is mostly Indian/Guyanese with some Hispanic.

hah, don't let people tell you that you won't survive NY. I imagine it's easier to survive here (find a job, safety, etc.) than in any given Nowhere-ville, America.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 13,924 times
Unhappy Far Rockaway!! We moved out in 1973 and never looked back

I've been reading the posts and i cant see how anyone could say that Far Rockaway is a nice place to live !!! My parents moved us out in 1973, this was after several of their friends were mugged walking home from the A train station,in our apartment building,and also customers were getting mugged INSIDE OF the Waldbaums supermarket on Central ave, [which of course is not there anymore, like any major chain foodstore move out of high crime neighborhoods].

The city had made some choices during the 1960s that turned the western half of the Rockaways into what you see today.I had loved living there and growing into my teen years there, going to the boardwalk and beaches there. Anyone remember the boardwalk up by 35th street>? You could stop at Sams Bar n Grill, for a beer, and stuff yourself with HebrewNational hot dogs and home made knishes?? Now you cant even access the beach from the boardwalk due to the beach erosion. Going to school was fun and safe. If you had a fight with a kid at school, you certainly didn't have to worry about him trying to kill you!

A place that was once known as the best place to spend the summer, had been making the news about murders? We never heard that on the news when i lived there. My moms side of the family had largely settled in the Rockaways way way back. And from what they told me, it was a great place [back then]. I remember going out on Saturday nights with my parents, we would drive over to the front of the Woolworth store on Central Ave, and buy the newspapers that the vendors were selling along the sidewalk, pick up some appetizing at Toddys and go to Elfenbeins bakery ,and lastly the FarRockaway bagel store. That stretch of Central Ave had 3 bakeries. All that is gone now, half of the buildings are gated along that once busy business area. Now my old neighborhood has become a place for crack ,other drugs and crime.

And to clarify for the readers, the Rockaways used to have , the largest Jewish population in Queens , now theres just a remnant left. unless you are ultra orthodox and living in the Reads Lane area [which used to have the city Purim street carnival each year, not Forest Hills], or way down past Belle Harbor in fancy shmancy Neponsit, you couldnt get me to move back there in a million years or for a million dollars.
But the guys describing the conditions of the neighborhood in the previous posts are right for the most part.Anyone who says otherwise should drive eastward past the 5 towns area, and see what the Rockaways used to look like .

Old 04-19-2011, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 13,924 times
@ Calculush1

Far Rock isnt so bad ? Compared to where??????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City