Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:37 PM

8,077 posts, read 6,677,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Everybody Hates Chris? Lmao
Wasn't that show about a fictional serial killer let loose in Bed Stuy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 PM

33,333 posts, read 46,766,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Wasn't that show about a fictional serial killer let loose in Bed Stuy?
No....are u being serious or being funny?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 PM

8,077 posts, read 6,677,746 times
Quote:
No....are u being serious or being funny?
Serious Seventh....G-Dale told me all about it.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,926,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Tired of bar hopping? Lol
Lol nah, man. Actually I so not bar hop in NYC. Might do some bar hoping next month when im in Vegas.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Tired of bar hopping? Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Clearly lol. Let me pull up stories to show what we already know: the area has a higher crime rate.

It's all well and good though. It's not stoping people from moving to, buying property in and increasing property values...
You two live in complete opposite bubbles. Reading you two go at it gives me a headache. Even though Bedstuy has increasing property values, the areas is still hood and to a certain degree but if its dangerous? It depends on ones outlook and perception of Bedstuy. Actually a female friend of mines who is a longtime Bedstuy resident is crying for a school for her daughter to attend. She hoped gentrification of Bedstuy would helped improve the schools ,but it has yet to do so if ever. Now she has to wait online with throngs of parents so that her daughter may get picked or selected to attend some charter school academy in the area. Me I do admire some of the changes in amenities in Bedstuy and its very welcoming. But Bedstuy is still very hood and will remain so for sometime. I don't know how far gentrification can go because trends and fads do change every so decade. Brooklyn maybe cool now but it might be played out in another few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Higher Crime Rate + Increasing Property Values = Real Estate Bubble?
This bubble I agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Crime rate has been decreasing, we've already covered this ad nauseam. But we know comparative to say, Park Slope, the crime is higher, yet despite that you have families moving in. Families, not just transient hipsters. Gentrification isn't a bubble. It's a demographic shift. That is the point and the formula that seems to escape your comprehension.
Its not only a demographic shift, its an primarily an income shift. I don't consider a Transplant from western PA working two living wage earning jobs wealthy while living with roommates on Kosciusko street and struggling to pay 49k of tuition debt from a liberal arts degree.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:11 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,980,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It is what it is. And I'd like to see that change, but it hasn't and still seems far from doing so. Jad2k likes to compare bedstuy to park slope as if there is any comparison whatsoever. In its worst day in history, park slope was still probably much nicer and calmer than what bedstuy still is today.
That's the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. She seriously said "relative to Park Slope, Bed-Stuy is dangerous" LMAO.:sm ack:

Old 04-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
That's the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. She seriously said "relative to Park Slope, Bed-Stuy is dangerous" LMAO.:sm ack:
Lol. Parkslope is like another planet compared to Bedstuy. To be honest I cant compare Bedstuy to anything at the moment.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:15 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,310,750 times
Quote:
Relative to PS as in they are brownstone neighborhoods with similar housing stock and landscape. I usually use Fort Greene but the concept is the same. And whether you like it or not, people who want a brownstone and can not afford them elsewhere, are indeed buying them in BS. Quite literally lining up around the block for open houses. Also, PS was not a nice place in the 70s. That was well before my time on this earth but that is indeed a fact. There are also countless examples of dangerous drug and crime ridden areas within this city that have undergone total 180s over the course of 20 years. Nobody says gentrification happens immediately but these changes are gradual and it's often impossible to see change while is occurring. The revelation is in retrospect after the transformation is complete. That's when you hear all the naysayers complaining about "shoulda, coulda, woulda..."

Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You two live in complete opposite bubbles. Reading you two go at it gives me a headache. Even though Bedstuy has increasing property values, the areas is still hood and to a certain degree but if its dangerous? It depends on ones outlook and perception of Bedstuy. Actually a female friend of mines who is a longtime Bedstuy resident is crying for a school for her daughter to attend. She hoped gentrification of Bedstuy would helped improve the schools ,but it has yet to do so if ever. Now she has to wait online with throngs of parents so that her daughter may get picked or selected to attend some charter school academy in the area. Me I do admire some of the changes in amenities in Bedstuy and its very welcoming. But Bedstuy is still very hood and will remain so for sometime. I don't know how far gentrification can go because trends and fads do change every so decade. Brooklyn maybe cool now but it might be played out in another few years.

This bubble I agree with.

Its not only a demographic shift, its an primarily an income shift. I don't consider a Transplant from western PA working two living wage earning jobs wealthy while living with roommates on Kosciusko street and struggling to pay 49k of tuition debt from a liberal arts degree.
Demographics also mean income, education, etc

Old 04-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I aint mad at her. I hope she gets her pay day.
That could happen but I didn't buy here for a pay day. I bought it because I got more "bang for my buck". This isn't an investment property, it's my home. If my situation changes and I move, well then it's all the better if I can sell it for a lot more than I bought it. I can currently rent it for more that my monthly payments so that is a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City