Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Nobody is living their lives worried about the end of the world. Simply looking at something objectively and considering how absurd it is in some respects. And it's not only natural disasters either. When things get bad enough in this country....and it's possible in a few ways....you'd want you and your loved ones as far away from this lab experiment gone wrong as possible.

This is a thread on population in nyc on a discussion board. This is not irrelevant to the conversation.
It sure sounds like some people are living their lives worrying about the end of the world. Disasters can and will occur anywhere in the world, and we will all face the end of our personal world's one day (our deaths). So rather than obsessively worry about what can go wrong in the future, why not live in the present and actually do things to make your lives more pleasant/livable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 01:10 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It sure sounds like some people are living their lives worrying about the end of the world. Disasters can and will occur anywhere in the world, and we will all face the end of our personal world's one day (our deaths). So rather than obsessively worry about what can go wrong in the future, why not live in the present and actually do things to make your lives more pleasant/livable?

Jesus man, it's called having a discussion and looking at certain angles to things. Most people on the forum and these threads portray their excitement and joy about more and more people pouring in. Myself and maybe a couple others look at the whole picture and offer a view that maybe it's not the most amazing thing that can happen to this city in every way you can imagine. Nobody is obsessing. Nobody is not living in this present. That doesn't mean that you have to live in a bubble and not think critically sometimes.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:11 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
Agree with this. You can get hit by a car walking down the street in small town Arkansas, but you must manage risks. The possibility of some jihadist blowing up the subway is probably a little greater than blowing himself up walking down south beach.
The thought of having to have a quick mass evacuation of this city's cares the hell out of me.

Quote:
Nobody is living their lives worried about the end of the world. Simply looking at something objectively and considering how absurd it is in some respects. And it's not only natural disasters either. When things get bad enough in this country....and it's possible in a few ways....you'd want you and your loved ones as far away from this lab experiment gone wrong as possible.

This is a thread on population in nyc on a discussion board. This is not irrelevant to the conversation.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:12 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ don't count on getting out without being trampled to death.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Agree with this. You can get hit by a car walking down the street in small town Arkansas, but you must manage risks. The possibility of some jihadist blowing up the subway is probably a little greater than blowing himself up walking down south beach.
The thought of having to have a quick mass evacuation of this city's cares the hell out of me.
And people do get hit by cars in Arkansaw, killed by tornadoes, etc. Of course, that's not counting all the people who eventually die of old age or disease.

It's terrible when rural areas get damaged by hurricanes like Katrina as well. Or earthquakes, fires, and tornadoes.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Jesus man, it's called having a discussion and looking at certain angles to things. Most people on the forum and these threads portray their excitement and joy about more and more people pouring in. Myself and maybe a couple others look at the whole picture and offer a view that maybe it's not the most amazing thing that can happen to this city in every way you can imagine. Nobody is obsessing. Nobody is not living in this present. That doesn't mean that you have to live in a bubble and not think critically sometimes.
It's just rather obvious that some people here are completely depressed, miserable, negative people and it shows in their posts. And you are obsessing over everything that could go wrong.

Yes, things can and WILL go wrong at some point, and people will have to deal with them then and there. That's anywhere in the world. But to take it to the point where you constantly have to declare everything will always go wrong, that says a lot about the misery you're in and misery loves company.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:26 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's just rather obvious that some people here are completely depressed, miserable, negative people and it shows in their posts. And you are obsessing over everything that could go wrong.

Yes, things can and WILL go wrong at some point, and people will have to deal with them then and there. That's anywhere in the world. But to take it to the point where you constantly have to declare everything will always go wrong, that says a lot about the misery you're in and misery loves company.

No buddy. You're conjuring up this notion that anybody is "obsessing" or "declaring that everything will always go wrong". You're simply making that up. The only thing anybody is doing is looking at the whole picture. It's an absolute fact that in extremely high density areas like ny, in certain situations that can occur in a few different ways (not just natural disasters)...this place will be a hell of a lot worse to be in than other low key, rural areas. There really is no disputing that.

It's awesome to always think about amazing things. But sometimes it's ok to think about other stuff too. Like reality. The reality is, the world is a volatile place. There's nothing wrong with at the very least being on your toes. Especially in a place like this.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am all for growth, and that is usually the sign of a healthy economy (or at least healthier than those losing population) but depends on what kind of growth. If the city is growing due to destitute people moving from other parts of the country or world, then that is not the kind of growth the city wants or needs to be healthy.

If we have a mix of people moving to the city, and the proper investment in infrastructure, housing, business, then it is healthy growth. And from what I can see over the past decade, NYC has been investing huge sums on major infrastructure projects and development/housing....can they do more? Alot more? YES...but they are addressing the issue and making investments. In my nabe (Southern Bronx) there are plans to build lots of dense towers everywhere, bringing in a mix of people...and my initial thought is great..finally! But I then look at my train stations (2/5/6) and realize there are many times where they are too crowded to even get on (particularly the 2 train), so how is the city going to accomodate all of these people.

And that's my major concern.....public transportation to accomodate all of the newbies is a major challenge that is not being addressed at all.
I hope the T train will extend to Bronx at one end and detours in Brooklyn at the other end. Well someday zi hope.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:03 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
My friend who lives in the south and his sister living in Tarry NY decide to settle their parents here in NYC because of the senior housing/medicaid welfare options in NY. My landlord owns a large apartment building complex and his mother lives in one of the senior housing buildings in lower manhattan where the city government pays for maids to assist her with daily chores.

I guess that the welfare system contributes to the stability of NYC population.
There are persons on SS benefits who *keep* a NY address because their checks are larger than say in PA. In fact remember an Hispanic older lesbian who though has a NYC housing "project" apartment actually lives in Allentown with her "partner" or whatever. She keeps her City address because her SS benefit check is greater if based on that address than Allentown.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:15 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You do realize that JC will be heading down that same direction right? That affordability and funkiness will be history and then you will be once again looking to move.
Not even...The financial district has been laid down on the former docks for quite some time now and most of the city is 'struggling' to gentrify. The waterfront financial district is heavily reliant on the feds and it appears QE is past peak as well. I see Texas & other red states as being the next hot spot for hipsters. Blue states will go back to their former glory of having depressed, despaired, shell of cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: