Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,789,591 times

Advertisements

I blame women and homeless people for the lack of bathrooms. Most eateries do not want to allow people to use their restrooms because too many homeless people would abuse it. And women are just the worst when it comes to keeping public bathrooms clean and not throw objects into toilets.

You ask anybody that cleans bathrooms and they will tell you women are the worst. They throw everything that you can think of into the toilet bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 AM

343 posts, read 1,094,258 times
i personally have a problem with using public bathrooms so i usually just wait until i get home.

but in cases of emergencies.. i've never purchased anything to use the bathroom at Starbucks because there's always a line so you don't even have to ask the staff just wait on the line - but those bum ridden bathrooms are vomitrocious so i try not to use them.

i also know where to go if i really have to go. using a public bathroom is never really pleasant (how can they really be kept clean with THOUSANDS of ppl using them daily??) but i do know where to go to have the best experience in a bad situation lol

Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,649,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.longwind View Post
Toilet-seekers,
How do you get bathroom access when you're out and about?

Blend in and pretend to be a customer?
Purchase something you don’t want for legitimacy?
Ask nicely- take a rogue ****- or you hold it till you get home?

I’m doing a story on the business of bathroom business. If you- or someone you know- is frustrated by New York’s lack of toilet options, please let me know! I’d love to hear your gripes.

This is awesome!! It's so funny because my friend and I ALWAYS have conversations about this. For a city that's so busy, big, vast, sprawling, the lack of bathrooms are terrible. Unfortunately, I've been guilty of wizzing out in the streets late at night after a long night out of drinking. As of yet, I haven't been caught since I find the most discreet places and squeeze myself into tight corners if I must. I HATE to do this because its rather trashy but sometimes late at night in NYC, it's incredibly hard to find a place to do your business unless you're purchasing something from a deli, store, restaurant etc.

Lately however I've been finding some spots where I can gain quite easy bathroom access. The NYPL on Bryant Park during operating hours has a few good and rather sanitary bathrooms, a lot of the McDonalds have stepped up their game and have a lot cleaner bathrooms than ever before. Some Starbucks, the Whole Foods on Houston, some public parks apart of the parks department (though I'm not crazy about using the bathrooms there), Burlington Coat Factory on 23rd and 6th and 14th Union Square has good bathrooms.

If it's very late at night and I can't find a public bathroom, I'll go into a diner, a bar or some establishment and offer them a dollar or two if they can let me use their bathroom. Doesn't hurt too ask and as long as you don't look like a volatile bum, crackhead or a complete mess of a drunk. If you look normal, presentable they'll be more than willing to let you use it, some places even free of charge.

I don't understand why NYC hasn't caught up with cities like San Francisco that has innovative public bathrooms.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,649,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I blame women and homeless people for the lack of bathrooms. Most eateries do not want to allow people to use their restrooms because too many homeless people would abuse it. And women are just the worst when it comes to keeping public bathrooms clean and not throw objects into toilets.

You ask anybody that cleans bathrooms and they will tell you women are the worst. They throw everything that you can think of into the toilet bowl.

Very true. It's women, bums/crack heads and stupid teenagers who want to use public bathrooms for sex.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:02 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,733,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
What do the vendors do? They must have amazing "holding it in" powers. That or they wear diapers. Ewwww
I too, have always wondered this. I just don't want to walk up to the guy making my gyro and ask him what he does when he has to go to the bathroom because I may or may not want to eat that gyro I just bought.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:08 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,744,516 times
the Westin at 43rd and 8th has awesome bathrooms, spacious and roomy.

the Doubletree Suites on 47th and 7th

Rockefeller Center underground passageway

the NY Hilton on 53rd and 6th

i was directed from Walgreens on 43rd and B'way to a big bar/ restaurant across the street that had a good bathroom. can't recall the name

the bathrooms on the ground floor of J&R Music World

bathrooms at Manhattan Plaza at Herald Square

Penn Station (yeech)

the Grand Hyatt on 42nd street

Fordham University on Columbus Ave and 60th street

Bed Bath and Beyond on 6th and 20th

Home Depot on 23rd street

Cosi

the list goes on...

Old 03-28-2014, 09:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,407,271 times
That's a great list...but still doesn't address the point: Why are there virtually no public bathrooms in the "greatest city in the world." It's an embarassment and ridiculous in 2014 you have to sneak into private businesses and establishments in order to urinate...private businesses should not be shouldering the burden for the lack of public bathrooms in NYC. Restrooms are for customers, as they should be...NYC in so many ways is really so far behind major cities across the world and country for that matter....this is one of those examples.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:26 AM

43,829 posts, read 44,597,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Yes. Especially the ones with bars and or restaurants. They'll usually have a bathroom in the lobby area and who are they to say that you don't actually have a room there?
You don't have to have a hotel room. Who is to say that you aren't visiting/meeting someone who is staying at said hotel?

Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,733,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You don't have to have a hotel room. Who is to say that you aren't visiting/meeting someone who is staying at said hotel?
That's what I'm saying. Especially in a place like NYC where even at the Mandarin Oriental you could be a tourist wearing jeans and a t shirt to go out and about. If the hotel staff stopped every single person that came in the door that hotel would go out of business.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:39 AM

510 posts, read 1,445,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nah, never happened. Some of the starbucks lock their bathrooms and you either have to ask for a key or they print a code for the door on your purchase receipt. But it's all futile because really I dare you to find a starbucks that DOESN't have a line for it's bathroom. One person holds the door for the next, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City