Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 07:00 PM

17 posts, read 39,251 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I am planning to rent an apartment with in walking distance of Mount Sinai. There are various options on street easy and rent hop but I was wondering if someone can help me with boundaries which would be safe to walk. Also had a question as to what to look for when renting. I am moving from suburban CT, are walk ups ok? Is doorman must and how much will it cost me?
Thanks
Ddev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Mount Sinai in Manhattan? They used to have apartments for nurses around 105th St. or some such IIRC.

Again assuming you are talking about the Manhattan campus *generally* 96th Street to about 105th or such between Madison or even Lexington on the East and going West to Fifth should be fine. Anything below 96th Street from Fifth East End (FDR Drive) is fine.

The area from Park Avenue going east towards the FDR Drive is "Spanish Harlem" and while it can be suspect in some places has begun to gentrify in others. It is kind of hit or miss block by block, you really have to be here to get a feeling. However in general you want to avoid any of the areas around housing projects.

Lots of Mount Sinai nurses and other employees live in Yorkville or the UES/Carnegie Hill. They walk to and from work at all hours and generally feel safe. Thing to remember you *are* in NYC and the area can be very quiet and desolate at night so you want to keep on your guard. Walk ups make up a large part of the housing in that area and are fine. Again just use common sense; don't hold doors open for anyone you don't know and or allow them to follow you into the building.

Many females like the security of living in a doorman building, but you have to make the call between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City