Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:36 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
But maybe for some of the places mentioned in the second paragraph, the winter weather doesn't shut down or debilitate the city or region like you say it does in greater New York City . . . so is it possible that winter might be more tolerable and acceptable in some of those other places? I don't know; you'd have to ask residents of those locales.
I lived in Colorado for 4 years. The winter is worse here.

Outside of the mountains, Colorado is very dry so snowfall is usually less than here. When they get a blizzard, it does tend to be a real whopper, but they are less frequent than the medium-sized ones we get here.

The dry air really changes how you perceive the cold (and heat). It never seems to be truly bone-chilling cold out there, even when the temps go below 0º.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:40 PM

When I leave, I want to have the outdoors at my fingertips rather hours away over bridges, past tolls, through construction zones and crushing traffic jams. I want lower taxes paying for less social welfare programs. I want educational availability for my children and good hospitals. From everything we're currently finding, this points us to Tennessee, specifically the Nashville area.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:57 PM

725 posts, read 805,536 times
I'd move to a zero or near income tax state and an area with low property tax. Is move to an area with good demographics and plenty of reasonably priced land. Probably in the mid west.

I just came back from hollywood beach FL near Miami and I could consider myself living there. Great climate in the winter but in the summer it is stormy all the time.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:35 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I want to live in Palm Springs California, unfortunetely it is earthquake city, however, I absolutely love the desert terrain. I love the desert landscape. I find the desert absolutely beautiful.

I love the heat and the dry-ness. I cannot stand humidity and cold. I dont want to live anywhere near water, not even a puddle.

cactus - rattlesnake

Now that i am getting older and my sons are on their own me and my partner will definetely retire there......

Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltNYC View Post
Born and bred NY'er here and for the first time in my life I'm ready to relocate.

My wife and I make good money and we are comfortable here in terms of lifestyle but it feels increasingly like there are less and less benefits to living here aside from family. Our jobs and skill sets are fairly easy to transfer which is great but where to move?

The weather is the main reason we feel like leaving, and the second would be cost of living. For the latter we don't feel like we get value for our money and as for the former this winter has rendered the city unliveable. This nonsense weather never seemingly ends and it's just a bad joke at this point as it rains all Saturday.

NYC has sadly become a great example of the laws of diminishing returns. We don't expect to replicate the energy, the culture, or any of the other great parts that makes NYC so vibrant and exciting but is there anywhere else that comes close in the US?

San Diego? Tampa? I've been to both and they are definitely not NYC but the weather makes them winners at least. Just wanted to get opinions as to where in the states you'd all go to and what the pros and cons of these places would be? Charlotte? Never been there.

We'd definitely miss the museums and the general greatness of NYC but after this Winter we're ready to call it quits. I've heard this from other life long NY'ers as well and it's pretty sad as we've usually been a hardy bunch. I think the sterile Bloomberg years made us weak. Survival of the fittest in NYC I guess and natural selection has called time on us perhaps.
I agree with you here and I share some of those worries as you. NYC has become increasingly difficult in recent years and I don't know how long wages of many and infrastructure can keep up with the susitainablity of this city which is becoming more expensive and plagued with problems. Over the past couple of years I notice subways are more congested as ever, subway traffic is far more worse than road traffic, decent paying jobs are head to get due to immigrants working for cheaper, but also transient folks fresh out of college who are better educated and skilled competing for locals for top jobs. Rents are too high and also taxes is currently killing hard working people.

Unless if you have money and looking to invest in NYC, or if you have an amazing college degree from like an Ivy League school or some big named school than NYC is the place to be. Opportunities will be very easy for these types of folks to obtain that I have mentioned. And last for those who own property, real estate is a huge game changer here in nyc, for those that own especially in prime areas they are sitting on a gold mine NYC is great for transient folks, but for locals making headway its best to look across the Hudson and beyond.

Don't get me wrong, NYC is a great city and I love this city however it has become difficult and for some including my self its tim to bow out. I have enough money to live job free in the South for 6-8 Months. I want to leave NYC but a parent is not doing so well and I'm temporarily stuck for the time being due to my obligations. Over the past 4 years I have visited, Nevada, Texas, Louisiana and NC. I have to say I really like the city of Austin Texas, lots of prosperity there. Also New Orleans is also growing and rebuilding from Katrina, however their is growing concern of gentrification from northerners who can no longer live in places like Cali, NYC or Boston but move to NOLA and price out the locals and that's a theme that I don't want to be apart of! I befriended a Tennessee woman some years ago who moved to NYC, she hates Tennessee with a passion, but she admitted that Tennessee especially a city like Nashville would be better suited for me. I may Visit Nashville or maybe Atlanta Georgia to see if its worth while place to live. I visited Charlotte on a couple of occasions, it seems boring, however a great place to raise a family. But from what I hear ita getting expensive especially due to many new comers coming from the North. One thing I like about Charlotte is that its near South Carolina. Any way I just want my Lebensraum. Sorry for using Nazi themes!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-29-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 07:50 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
When I leave, I want to have the outdoors at my fingertips rather hours away over bridges, past tolls, through construction zones and crushing traffic jams. I want lower taxes paying for less social welfare programs. I want educational availability for my children and good hospitals. From everything we're currently finding, this points us to Tennessee, specifically the Nashville area.
Nashville is a great city. Spent most of my childhood and adult years there. You will love it.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:06 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
I lived in Colorado for 4 years. The winter is worse here.

Outside of the mountains, Colorado is very dry so snowfall is usually less than here. When they get a blizzard, it does tend to be a real whopper, but they are less frequent than the medium-sized ones we get here.

The dry air really changes how you perceive the cold (and heat). It never seems to be truly bone-chilling cold out there, even when the temps go below 0º.
I was in Denver in December and the cold temperatures did not feel as cold as in NYC.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Nashville is a great city. Spent most of my childhood and adult years there. You will love it.
Thank you. We'll be there next week. It will be our second visit. We've been hearing great things about Franklin, especially in regards to the schools.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Thank you. We'll be there next week. It will be our second visit. We've been hearing great things about Franklin, especially in regards to the schools.
Yes, almost mentioned Franklin in previous thread. Excellent area. I have a good friend that is currently living there with wife and child. Well worth a visit.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I'm a former New Yorker who resides in the austin suburbs. I relocated due to marrying a Texan. My quality of life hasn't been better, though it was great in NYC. We're solidly middle classed and live very comfortably. Housing makes up less than 30 percent of our budget and everything for the most part is cheaper. The problem is that there are way too many transplants now....one of the reasons why we're glad we purchased in the suburbs. But they're coming here too now. My neighborhood is probably half transplant now.

If you do move down here keep in mind that it is not a super cheap city, but your dollar will still go far. The summers are HOT. You do get some sweet spot months like today where the high is in the 70s with a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City