Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:22 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times

Advertisements

it is raining really bad outside right now here in nyc. the whole day it rained and will do so tomorrow. the snow and freezing weather have made it tough all past winter as well but most cold cities are like this. what's new? the bigger problem here has been the rising population (illegal mexicans as well as immigrants, or should i say the uneducated populace because we know they have more kids than those with an education, breeding like rabbits, as well as H1B visas taking away professional jobs of actual americans) which devalues asking prices for labor. you are also competing with too many people looking for work. there are certainly positives but i always look at the economy in a given area first. that and crime. everything else takes a backseat.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:06 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltNYC View Post
Born and bred NY'er here and for the first time in my life I'm ready to relocate.

My wife and I make good money and we are comfortable here in terms of lifestyle but it feels increasingly like there are less and less benefits to living here aside from family. Our jobs and skill sets are fairly easy to transfer which is great but where to move?

The weather is the main reason we feel like leaving, and the second would be cost of living. For the latter we don't feel like we get value for our money and as for the former this winter has rendered the city unliveable. This nonsense weather never seemingly ends and it's just a bad joke at this point as it rains all Saturday.

NYC has sadly become a great example of the laws of diminishing returns. We don't expect to replicate the energy, the culture, or any of the other great parts that makes NYC so vibrant and exciting but is there anywhere else that comes close in the US?

San Diego? Tampa? I've been to both and they are definitely not NYC but the weather makes them winners at least. Just wanted to get opinions as to where in the states you'd all go to and what the pros and cons of these places would be? Charlotte? Never been there.

We'd definitely miss the museums and the general greatness of NYC but after this Winter we're ready to call it quits. I've heard this from other life long NY'ers as well and it's pretty sad as we've usually been a hardy bunch. I think the sterile Bloomberg years made us weak. Survival of the fittest in NYC I guess and natural selection has called time on us perhaps.
Ahhh its too cold......5 years and you'll miss a dirty water hot dog. You know, I used to let these rants slide, but now I'm back on it. I'm born in Brooklyn! Raised in Queens - and never leaving. Polar vortex can kiss my ass - I went to work in it. Maybe you should buy better outerwear and dress better for the cold. Do you own long johns??? Single digits are not stopping me from feeding my family. And I own, I do not rent. You gotta be tough to live here cause anything can happen at any time. Been thru Sandy and all that. Too tough for you, then leave. I make good money here and I'm not leaving. I like my 4 seasons. I like seeing my kids play in the snow. NYC made me a tough SOB.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ahhh its too cold......5 years and you'll miss a dirty water hot dog. You know, I used to let these rants slide, but now I'm back on it. I'm born in Brooklyn! Raised in Queens - and never leaving. Polar vortex can kiss my ass - I went to work in it. Maybe you should buy better outerwear and dress better for the cold. Do you own long johns??? Single digits are not stopping me from feeding my family. And I own, I do not rent. You gotta be tough to live here cause anything can happen at any time. Been thru Sandy and all that. Too tough for you, then leave. I make good money here and I'm not leaving. I like my 4 seasons. I like seeing my kids play in the snow. NYC made me a tough SOB.
your toughness won't do much when you get on the B15 bus and you're shot dead by a 14 year old.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
your toughness won't do much when you get on the B15 bus and you're shot dead by a 14 year old.
My ghost will take care of his ass. Don't worry about me.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:39 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Aw, c'mon Seventh. Not everyone is gonna miss NYC. I was a NYC resident for a long time...heck I think I'm older than you. Born in the BX. It took me going elsewhere to appreciate another state. I, too, thought I wouldn't like living outside of NYC. But I do. And I did experience winter here...we've had a number of days in the 30s and 40s. Child's play to Nyers, of course. But when you live in a warm climate most of the year, with winters being on average highs in the 50s and 60s, highs of 36 can make you feel as cold as up north. I don't ever want to have a five month winter ever again.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:05 AM

296 posts, read 469,262 times
A lot of complaining over nothing. A bit of rain? No spring? Big deal. If you can't stomach far worse extremes of weather then you're not cut out for NY plain and simple

Just wait till the humidity kicks in in a few weeks. Then you'll have something to complain about.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:15 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
You guys complaining about not being tough enough are brainwashed. What happened to having a pleasant life ? Why are you so proud of toughing it out? The majority of you over pay to be prodded around like cattle and live like animals. It makes no sense.

Listen I was born and raised here too and I am proud of it. It made me who I am but time is short on this earth and IMO The Golden Era of NYC is over. I experienced the ENTIRE STRETCH. There will be nothing to miss.

The world is such a beautiful place...too beautiful to be trapped in a concrete jungle. When I travel to other places or countries I realize how meaningless the NYC way of life has become.

If there was no such place as SoCal in America then maybe I would stay in NYC but YOU GOTS TO B KIDDING ME if you think I'd choose NYC 2014 over coastal living in SoCal.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:15 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Aw, c'mon Seventh. Not everyone is gonna miss NYC. I was a NYC resident for a long time...heck I think I'm older than you. Born in the BX. It took me going elsewhere to appreciate another state. I, too, thought I wouldn't like living outside of NYC. But I do. And I did experience winter here...we've had a number of days in the 30s and 40s. Child's play to Nyers, of course. But when you live in a warm climate most of the year, with winters being on average highs in the 50s and 60s, highs of 36 can make you feel as cold as up north. I don't ever want to have a five month winter ever again.
This is very true. I know from natives who moved out of NYC who told me that NYC is very visible in everyday media such as TV shows, movies and constantly feed on national headlines. Seeing NYC on media does not make them miss NYC and for some appreciate where they come from and why they got out. But I can say that this winter was very brutal and have made many very miserable and cold themselves, me including! Not only that but this spring might be a cold due to winter lingering around a little bit longer. Lets not forget NYC summers are also brutal as well, you know way too humid and moist!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
You guys complaining about not being tough enough are brainwashed. What happened to having a pleasant life ? Why are you so proud of toughing it out? The majority of you over pay to be prodded around like cattle and live like animals. It makes no sense.

Listen I was born and raised here too and I am proud of it. It made me who I am but time is short on this earth and IMO The Golden Era of NYC is over. I experienced the ENTIRE STRETCH. There will be nothing to miss.

The world is such a beautiful place...too beautiful to be trapped in a concrete jungle. When I travel to other places or countries I realize how meaningless the NYC way of life has become.

If there was no such place as SoCal in America then maybe I would stay in NYC but YOU GOTS TO B KIDDING ME if you think I'd choose NYC 2014 over coastal living in SoCal.
YUP

Old 03-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah but to say this winter makes you wanna go? Winters like this don't happen every year. Hell, there's been some Decembers where we've had 60 degree temps.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City