Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,991 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been wondering about moving to New York for a long time however my worries have been about a job and a place to live. If anyone has moved to New York or the area and/or has further information about this, it would help ALOT! So someone has told me about jobs in New York and if i apply for them while I'm still living in England, if maybe the could sponsor me (fly me out and see how i work,etc..) or offer me an internship (which i hear is possible). I'd just liked to know if this is hear say or if someone knows someone who has done this, and how would you go about it? Where would you start?
I have also considered going over to New York and seeing jobs available maybe going for interviews (if i can) and seeing whats out there for me and if i got a job, make a permanent move to America. Would this seem better than the last idea? If so, any tips i could take?

If anyone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Marlena

Last edited by MarlenaBlandy; 01-22-2013 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,592,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlenaBlandy View Post
Hi,
I've been wondering about moving to New York for a long time however my worries have been about a job and a place to live. If anyone has moved to New York or the area and/or has further information about this, it would help ALOT! So someone has told me about jobs in New York and if i apply for them while I'm still living in England, if maybe the could sponsor me (fly me out and see how i work,etc..) or offer me an internship (which i hear is possible). I'd just liked to know if this is hear say or if someone knows someone who has done this, and how would you go about it? Where would you start?
I have also considered going over to New York and seeing jobs available maybe going for interviews (if i can) and seeing whats out there for me and if i got a job, make a permanent move to America. Would this seem better than the last idea? If so, any tips i could take?
I would spend a lot of time searching this forum for very similar questions that have already been asked multiple times and listen to the good advice that has been repeated to folks with similar ambitions.

It can be very difficult to find a job that will "sponsor" you, just as it is sometimes difficult to get a work visa. You should look into the visa requirements.

You also don't mention your field. If you're coming just to find "any job" it may not be the best move.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM

16 posts, read 84,185 times
Hi there, it is extremely difficult. It is difficult for people in NY in general to get jobs, even harder to find someone to sponsor you/getting work visa.

The people that get sponsored are those who interned in a firm over the summer or over a few months and given a sponsorship/work visa, people in other countries who have a specific skill set, like an investment banker in emerging markets, Packing product brand manager etc... and they get transferred over, but it is extremely difficult to just come down here expecting an interview and a work sponsorship. Also there's no point coming here if you don't already have targeted networks, you are better off looking online- you'll be wasting a lot of money.

And like poster above, it depends on your field - Consulting, Finance (particularly front office jobs), engineering, IT are most likely to get sponsored.

You can apply from England and see, email the HR directly but make sure the places you are applying to sponsors, I can tell you right now, there are not many. Do a LOT of networking/emailing etc. The fields I specified above sponsors but only certain companies from that field.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,121,716 times
how old are you? what is your field? how many years of experience do you have in that field?

Depending on those answers, a company might sponsor your visa. Otherwise, you will be responsible for your own visa.

The unemployment in NYC is still pretty high so you will be competing with a lot of people. If you have lots of experience in your field, a high to executive position, etc then you will have success in getting interviews.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
Hey I am 15 and planning to move to New York I currently live in Bristol, England and Have always dreamed of living in New York since I was 11 and hope to do so just after I hit 21 and would take any job just to start off fresh in New York, most people decide to go sky diving or scuba diving before they die mine is to move to New York I am determined for this to happen to me in life and dream of one day becoming an American citizen and will do what ever it takes, if anyone is reading this and lives in New York get in contact with me if you could do anything to although it will be in another 6 years or so, help my number is +44 7918951902 or contact my Facebook (Joseph Burchill) twitter we can keep in contact on there @JCBurchill217

Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,263,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Burchill View Post
Hey I am 15 and planning to move to New York I currently live in Bristol, England and Have always dreamed of living in New York since I was 11 and hope to do so just after I hit 21 and would take any job just to start off fresh in New York, most people decide to go sky diving or scuba diving before they die mine is to move to New York I am determined for this to happen to me in life and dream of one day becoming an American citizen and will do what ever it takes, if anyone is reading this and lives in New York get in contact with me if you could do anything to although it will be in another 6 years or so, help my number is +44 7918951902 or contact my Facebook (Joseph Burchill) twitter we can keep in contact on there @JCBurchill217
NY will be a much different place in 6 years from now. Start doing your research but come back and ask questions about a year before you come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City