Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
The Chinese make everything we own so why not give them Harlem.
Your-ignoranence, you should research what happens on the other side of the token
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 AM

5,112 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
Since we are in their debt to the tune of a trillion+, we should make them all US Citizens.

As noted by the Associated Press, China now holds nearly $1.32 trillion in US Treasury debt, marking a 0.9 percent increase over the previous month for the United States' largest foreign lender.
of that 0.9%, the obamas' recent vacation in China may have contributed 0.01%...lol

it is such a shame that an entity in debt would continue to spend like there is no tomorrow.

too much self indulgence.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
The original article makes much ado about nothing:
Quote:

The 2010 Census shows Harlem and East Harlem's Asian populations more than
doubled over the last decade, growing 239% in East Harlem- from 520 residents in
2000 to 1,766 in 2010.In Central Harlem, the Asian population increased nearly 234% - from 460 to
1,536. In just 10 years, East Harlem has seen its Asian population rise from
0.9% in 2000 to 3% in 2010, CUNY'S Center for Urban Research says.

While the percentages may look dramatic, the numbers really are not.
A thousand Chinese moved into or were born in East Harlem in 10 years.
Insignificant.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:57 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
what if america refuses to pay china its debt? so what? china can't do anything. america has a far superior army and can wipe china out. why not just default on the debt and say "forget about it for this once?"
Oh yeah? Last time I checked, we can't even win the Vietnam war.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The original article makes much ado about nothing:

While the percentages may look dramatic, the numbers really are not.
A thousand Chinese moved into or were born in East Harlem in 10 years.
Insignificant.
True, but it's possible the bulk of that gain was in the latter parts of that ten year spread and it was part of an accelerating trend as more Chinese immigrants become qualified and up for public housing and as the cost and availability of housing in Chinatown becomes more prohibitively expensive.

Also, has anyone noticed that a pretty large number of Chinese passengers now go past the Williamsburg bridge and into Brooklyn on the J/M/Z? If so, has anyone noticed a single most popular stop to get off on. I'm wondering if there's a Chinese enclave developing off of that line.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:28 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
True, but it's possible the bulk of that gain was in the latter parts of that ten year spread and it was part of an accelerating trend as more Chinese immigrants become qualified and up for public housing and as the cost and availability of housing in Chinatown becomes more prohibitively expensive.

Also, has anyone noticed that a pretty large number of Chinese passengers now go past the Williamsburg bridge and into Brooklyn on the J/M/Z? If so, has anyone noticed a single most popular stop to get off on. I'm wondering if there's a Chinese enclave developing off of that line.
All I can add is that I shop in East Harlem quite often and I have not seen a noticeable influx of Chinese...or really ANY.
I think the article is much ado about nothing.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:53 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,533 times
No Dimsum restaurant, no Chinese supermarket, it is NOT Chinese Harlem, case closed.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:54 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:

I haven't taken the J/M/Z since the late 90s early 2000s, but back then there were many Chinese that lived in Ridgewood and also those coops near Lorimer St. Those were the days when you only saw a sprinkle of white people get on/off starting at Seneca Ave on the M and pratically none at all on the J and the Z line which they added later on. I remember the first Chinese grocery store sprouted out on Seneca Ave in the very late 80s/ early 90s, but I think they closed down not that much later. There simply wasn't enough momentum since most Chinese wanted to either live in Brooklyn, Elmhurst, or Flushing.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 04-08-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 PM

5,112 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Oh yeah? Last time I checked, we can't even win the Vietnam war.

Look upon on it this way: had the Vietnamese had the guts to come to invade America, they would be the winner regardless of winning or losing it

Old 04-08-2014, 06:46 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:

I have noticed this - I take the J/Z sometimes. They usually get off at Marcy. But I don't know if they're waiting for the M to take them to Lorimer or Hewes.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City