Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
you can forgo buying a car & just get a zipcar. Get some insurance quotes first...it may not be dirt cheap.

Where in bayside are you looking? Most apartments in Bayside is not near the LIRR. I know people who take the express bus to manhattan
For what my car needs would be - Zipcar is way too expensive. When I moved to the UES, I joined Zipcar thinking it was the bee's knees. Found out that if I wanted to rent a car for 6 hours on a weeknight to go see my parents, it'd cost me $80. On a weekend? Fuggedaboutit. No thanks.

I've owned a car in NYC before (remember, born and raised in the Bronx, also spent 30 of my 35 years living in a neighborhood where you NEED one to function) and have done all the math. Definitely not cheap (in fact, it would probably cost more than living in Manhattan once everything is factored).

Haven;t actually started looking - this is more theoretical than an active search. My current living situation isn't changing anytime soon, I just like having my "what's next" plan in place. If/when I do decide, will have to keep the LIRR distance in mind - is there a parking lot at their station? If so, it's probably a zoo and an extra expense. Something else to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
The LIRR is at 213 St and 41st Ave, which is right off Bell Blvd. Lots of apartments in that area so you could probably be within walking distance. If I recall correctly, the parking lot is not huge so you'd probably have to get there early if you wanted to park at the station. I don't know what the parking fee is though.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
There is no direct subway. You'd have to take one the buses and go to Flushing to catch the 7. It's a pretty quick ride.

I always liked Bayside but sometimes the Bell Blvd scene got old. Then again I'm talking about the '90's lol Lots of nice restaurants and bars though and it's very safe. LIRR is right there and there's plenty of public transportation to the 7 train. OP, I wouldn't get a car. Parking is horrendous in Bayside.
Thanks for this - a car is a must for me if I live outside of Manhattan, so if the parking situation is that bad, then maybe Bayside isn't right for me (most of Queens has been eliminated already, with this being a factor. All of Brooklyn has, bc I just don't like it there.) I'm just trying to figure out somewhere that COULD be a good fit.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
The LIRR is at 213 St and 41st Ave, which is right off Bell Blvd. Lots of apartments in that area so you could probably be within walking distance. If I recall correctly, the parking lot is not huge so you'd probably have to get there early if you wanted to park at the station. I don't know what the parking fee is though.
This is good to know! So it's back to being do-able!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
I believe its a very small lot. I do know the parking near LIRR/Bell Blvd is very crowded.

You may find rental in a multi family dwelling near LIRR. Since you brought up apartment....there isn't any apartment complex near LIRR. There is a bunch of apartment complex by Bay Terrace which some take either express bus or local bus to subway combo. There are a large apartment complex by 220's street near northern behind burger kind..... which is maybe 15-20 min walk to the Bayside LIRR

Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
oh yeah that building...it is close....if I remember, its pretty small...like 2-3 stories high.

parking is only tough anything close to LIRR & Bell Blvd....obvious reason why. Overall its not terrible

Old 04-02-2014, 02:38 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
oh yeah that building...it is close....if I remember, its pretty small...like 2-3 stories high.

parking is only tough anything close to LIRR & Bell Blvd....obvious reason why. Overall its not terrible

If you're further into Bayside parking is fine but if you want to be closer to Bell Blvd and the LIRR, parking is tough. There were times where we ended up going somewhere else to eat because we couldn't find parking.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:46 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
If you're further into Bayside parking is fine but if you want to be closer to Bell Blvd and the LIRR, parking is tough. There were times where we ended up going somewhere else to eat because we couldn't find parking.
Yep parking is alright in the areas with the single family detached homes for obvious reasons as well. Near multi family homes and coops is where finding parking can be difficult. Also Fri/Sat nights are tough to find parking near Bell Blvd. But overall compared to 98% of the rest of Queens it's probably parking heaven. There's also no street cleaning in most of Bayside.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:51 PM

260 posts, read 450,810 times
We lived in Bayside for a bit over a year after our son was born. DH and I have dinner out or happy hour once per week and Bell Blvd was great for that. There is, however, no singles scene per say. Mostly families, couples and the late 20's crew that packs into Congas and Safari Beach Club. It's a great place to live but a schlep to the city. Astoria or LIC an option? You can take the triboro to the bronx easily.

If you are indeed interested in meeting Mr. Right, chances are limited in Bayside- JMO. THAT BEING SAID....I met my husband while I was living in Park Slope (similar stroller filled nabe), we ran into each other in Manhattan so it's possible!

Old 04-02-2014, 03:00 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
I used to lived in fresh meadows and try to buy a house in bayside. Parking is generally ok in that area, i almost have never run into any problem parking anywhere. And you definitely need a car. It is too stretch out to walk everywhere.

The commute is BAD if you going to take the bus and then go 7. The main street flushing station is a mad house. A better commute is to take the express bus into the city. There is a couple of them going from bayside to midtown. They are a little pricer than normal subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City